Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

MCD and there bloody RED Loctite!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MCD and there bloody RED Loctite!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
borley1863

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MCD and there bloody RED Loctite!

[:@]I am a little peed off to say the least, i want to put the Vertigo bearing carriers into my MCD MT which is a pain in itself considering how much you have to dismantle. Well i got to the brake square and can`t get it off. I tried heating it up which i had to do on the gear square, i have a gas soldering iron with a jet tip so i heated those up and they did eventualy release. But this brake sqaure just won`t i think it`s staring to round off the grubs now tried 3 diff allen keys.
MCD why the hell do you use so much RED LOCTITE.
It looks like i`m gonna have to put it back with the plastic carrier, any help would be apreciated.
regards
Guy
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
borley1863

Default RE: MCD and there bloody RED Loctite!

Well i have decided i am going to have to keep the plastic bearing carriers on as i just relised i have goto undo the cups on the centre diff and they are just as bad and im not going to risk heating those grubs as they are to close to the plastic carriers, so i have just wasted money on these errrrrrrrrr!
Guy
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
TIGER76

Be worst if they didnt use enough lol

was once told "Turtle Wax Liquid Fire De-icer" works on red m8y
Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake fluid works on red loctite... the only problems is getting it to penetrate.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
borley1863

Yeah thanks for the idvice you 2, i will leave it for know because i could see me in a worse situation if i carry on so i will put it back without the ally gear carriers for now[&o]
Thanks
Guy
Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
nitrohead5300

I believed that I was the only one who had problems removing grub screws!!![:@] I ended up taking mine to a machniest friend of mine to get a grub screw out. Why does MCD used industrial strenght loctite on all their grub screws??[]
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it crossed anyones mind to contact MCD regarding this issue?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
borley1863

Hi Lars i think people might have, I bought an MCD MT from new in 08, this is the first time i have tried to undo the grub screws. I have a 2nd hand RaceRunner comp but he already put the bearing carriers in so he done the hard work or didn`t have as much in there. But i know its a problem because i have read about it before from MCD owners, weather it`s improved i don`t know but for the love of me i could not get those grubs out[:@] and with the centre diff there are 2 carriers and the drive cups are very close to the carriers so even if you attempt to heat them you probabaly willl melt the carriers. I would like to put them carriers in but it`s looking very doubtful
Reagards
Guy
Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Lars from Norway

Okay, i see. Lets start a Facebook-group "We who want MCD to use blue Loctite instead of red"
Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
nitrohead5300

Lars how do you get your MCD grub screws out??
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Lars from Norway

I don't know, i don't have one It maybe looked like i have one from my post above yours with the Facebook-thing
Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM
elven wizard

Those brake grubs screws can be real tight at times. I ditched the allen L wrenchs for the dynamite allen wrench. (Any real quality allen wrenchs would do) It feels right with the aluminum handle and replaceable steel tip. Press down hard and grab even with both hands and turn. If you break a tip you can replace it later. If the grub screw from previous work is over rounded then this wont apply.

MCD Grub screw - can be a challenge

I get much better leverage with the handle allen wrenchs than these

Left the the dynamite allen wrench is cheaper and has softer tip steel, I would use the Dynamite allen wrench on the right

MCD

Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM
clubin

Don't use what he said^^ Sorry eleven, that is some poor info. Go and buy yourself a set of MAC or Snap-On metric allen wrenches.
SNAP ON link> http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I have the Mac set, and couldn't find a link, but the snap on set is a good deal too. Good tools make the job less stressfull. If you do get the set screw out, turf it and install some new set screws..

Hope that helps Guy. I agree they are a bear to get out, I had to drill one out once upon a time because of crappy tools. My learning lesson.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM
elven wizard

Sorry Clubin to agree to disagree but I use that and it makes the problem worse but if it works for you or the next guy wallah ! the method I use seems somewhat primitive but it works for me on the bench as others I did this for

Very many hours of work time on Mcd's I've spent. pic of Quarter of Mcd's I have

service time

Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 AM
borley1863

I think i will go for some T-Bar ones in the future to get more leverage, because those L shaped ones, (the ones i have used anyway) just end up bending because i have to put so much force on them.
Guy
Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM
elven wizard

The T bar handle allen wrenchs are good to. For those extreme cases then I use a Ofna Driver set. That will do it. L shaped allen wrenchs like Snap On or Craftsman are ok for not so tight grub screws. Use this for light duty grub screws > I just feel with the other allen wrenchs you can center your weight down even and turn better than L shaped allen wrenchs. In fact I hardly have anymore rounded grub screws not using the L shaped allen wrenchs when it comes to very tight set grub screws. As for the red loctite I find it a must MCD puts it in there rc's. Too many times without it ( Loctite ) I have found grub screws untighting even hand tighting to the extreme. I wont run without it, especially the desert were I go.