Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

All ShengQi RC!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
hmann1020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All ShengQi RC!

Greetings!
I am a new member to this site, and this is my first post!

I just bought a 23cc Shengqi 1/5 scale rc Hummer for a deal at $275!
I have read other posts about clones, and decided that i could deal with "lesser" quality plastics and give this one a go, bc, after all, i AM rc Obsessed! lol

anyway, i wanted to start an ongoing thread for all those 23cc owners, and specifically shengqi rc owners, to talk about anything really: upgrades, custom mods, maintenance, and mostly compatible parts.

I suppose I'll start with pulling this thing out of the box, as i'd like to share what one should do (in case one doesnt know) to the car before firing it up.

Inspection
Basically, Iwent over the whole thing and checked and tightened all of the screws, nuts and bolts i could find (as several were loose), while applying locktite to any spots that looked like they could use it. Next, I adjusted all of the shocks, camber and caster so that each end had the same measurements (again, as several sections were off). Finally, i zip tyed all of the fuel lines and wires in place to keep them from getting caught on something while driving. I finally checked and re-set the factory settings on the carb needles, as those too were off :P

"Upgrades"
I have not purchased any hop-up parts as of yet, most are fairly expensive, and imo, unnecessary. BUT, there are several upgrades that can be done without purchasing $1000 in metal replacement parts.
    [*]add a $3 metal fuel filter![/list]Yes, this rc came with one built into the tank. but, if anyone has owned any 2 stroke toy, they know these filters are basically crap, and foul up quickly. Also, one can never have fuel that is "too clean" or "too filtered". So, go ahead and spend $3 on any nitro engine fuel fitler and add it to an easy to access area on the truck.
      [*]make a pull start cover![/list]I found online a neat idea; pull start covers! well, after several minutes of research, i decided i did NOT want to spend $20+ on a piece of nylon with a string around the outer edge. SO, in the spirit of ingenuity, i cut up an old black sock, and zip tyed that bugger over the pull start! Bam! instant FREE pull start cover! The sock is free, can be washed or thrown out, and still allows enough ventilation while keeping most dirt out (if not all dirt i would suspect).
        [*]Body clip holders![/list]You would be amazed at how a $4 set of rubber body clip holders will change your life! well, not really change your life, but it sure as heck will remove the headache of losing and buying dozens of body clips for your expensive rc bodies. Everytime i am ready to put a body on, and im like "oh wait, where the hell are my clips?!" i look down, and lo-and-behold, there they are, just where i left them, ON THE BODY! lol. Right where they should be
          [*]add some Lights![/list]Light kits are neat, but, who wants to pay $20 for a set of leds that honestly cost about .30 cents each. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple sets of LED book lights or something, and find a decent place to mount them on the car. If you are electrically savvy, make your own wired connections, use a couple of AA batteries and a switch or two and you have the same thing they sell online for outrageous prices.

My next purchase is a tuned exhaust pipe. I have not found one yet that I think will fit inside the hummer body without cutting it up, which i refuse to do. SO, if ANYONE has one of these RCs, and has a tuned pipe that fits inside the body and provides an all-around power upgrade, PLEASE TELL ME!

more to come! thanks for reading! cant wait for replies!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
pinkducky

Default RE: All ShengQi RC!

WOW that's dirt cheap!!! I one one LOL. Where did you get it? Any pics? Links?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
hmann1020

Well, i found a guy selling one on craigs list, new in the box. On the plus side, dirt cheap (compared to online). negative side, if there Was anything wrong with it, im kinda screwed, since theres no real return policy!

cheapest online store ive seen, is engage rc, for $550 or so... negative side, no returns

if youd wanna pay shipping, ill see if the guy has any more.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
hmann1020

What I am learning about 2 strokes and the Shengqi Hummer

When running this thing through some high grass, really starting to put it through its paces to see what it can do, I have learned that the Clutch will heat up to a point where it will not even engage! I had thoughts of either burning it out, or it failing for some reason. When it no longer engaged, I thought it was just super cheap, and that I had toasted it. So, after a couple of hours pulling the thing apart, discovering barely any wear, and putting it all back together (twice), the clutch had cooled and was engaging again (to my extreme relief!).

Lesson 1: Take it easy on the clutch! Let it COOL in between beatings (or after 10 mins?)

One tends do lose track of time when your driving a badass 2 stroke RC!

In my breakdown and rebuild of the truck, I discovered I had almost stripped one of the rear rims (the inner connection area). This is obviously from wailing on the RC :P

Lesson 2: Take it easy on the Wheels! ORget some REALLY GOOD RIMS!

I may go for some metal rims, if they make them, or at least high quality ones once Ienevitably strip these out. The good news, the truck is not 4 wheel drive, so, I simply swapped the front tire with the rear

Also during breakdown and rebuild, I made a discovery that I am wondering is unique to my truck, or if its a possible common problem to many Shengqi hummers. There are brackets that house the differential. On the top, there is a small piece of metal that connects the Diff to the main axle gear. The Screw closest to the engine was actually too big! It seemed to be rubbing my axle or something, creating a lot of friction.Ithought this originally was how the truck was designed. However, once removing that screw and rebuilding the truck, I found I could move either wheel sooo much easier than before! I was both amazed and confused. So, after using a much shorter screw and firing up the truck again, I was ultra Amazed! (yes, ultra). There was a TON more POWER to the truck! Icouldn't believe it. It was like the engine became supercharged, and the truck rocketed off from a start instead of slowly building speed!

I am now even more impressed with this vehicle, because now it seems like it is nearing speeds of a Nitro RC, with TONS of Torque! TONS! I don't know why I didnt get into 2 stroke RCs earlier!

If anyone else has a Shengqi, Please check that screw for me.If need be, I will post pictures of its location. If you have any similar symptoms, please let me know. Its possible a worker simply grabbed the wrong screw, but perhaps this is a standard problem with all of their Hummer models!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 AM
hmann1020

Ialso forgot to mention that part of my upgrade list was Shock Sox. They are totally awesome, and I would recommend them to anyone with any RC car really. Since this big ass 2 stroke gets fairly well beat on, the shock sox are a much needed upgrade that doesnt break the bank.

If anyone has some comments or suggestions for cheap or useable upgrades, please let me know! I am always interested in do-it-yourself stuff. I am also interested in upgrades / spare parts that other enthusiasts have that they would be interested in selling. So, post some stuff!

I have been trying to figure out how to further enclose the engine and gear areas to keep all that grass from being sucked into the pull start assembly. The sock I used to cover the outside of the pull start works wonderfully though! Amazing what 5cents of old sock can do!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

I wonder if, now that you replaced that screw, the clutch won't be working as hard because there is less friction. Maybe that is why your clutch was heating up. Also, if your clutch got wet or greasy at all, that could have caused it to be slipping as well.

From what I have read, you'll probably want to steer clear of metal rims. They're expensive, heavier, and are more likely to get dented and dinged up. If you get different rims, I would go with some better quality plastic ones.

I'm not really a do-it-yourself person, so the best cost saving advice I can give you is, watch ddm's deal of the day, every day, for parts you need. If you're patient, eventually they'll have what you need (and at a great price).

Continue having fun.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
hmann1020

Update to Shengqi RC!
Well. After cleaning the carb like, 4 times at least by now, I have finally discovered WHY it kept getting clogged!!!
If you have a Shengqi RCREMOVE THE FUEL FILTER IN THE GAS TANK!!!

The fuel filter was disintegrating and clogging my carb!!! i finally discovered it when I was checking the gas tank and saw that stupid mesh stuff floating around in it! So, I added an additional METAL one inside the tank. I will soon empty the tank, clean it, the lines, and the carb, AGAIN :P
Another strange thing, the clutch seems to have Fixed itself... I love and hate when that happens! I have ordered an 8k rpm spring to stop the clutch shoes from heating up the bell unnecessarily during idle time. On top of that, I should see a better launch
During my spring installation, I will probably sand down the clutch shoes some to regain some extra grip. If that fails, I will get a Duratrax clutch and be done with it.
    [*]Item of Interest! the HPI Baja clutch shoes have a bolt hole of 10mm, while the duratrax Firehammer and shengqi have 8mm bolt holes.[/list]
My next El-Cheapo Mod is to use another Sock to make a Pre-Filter for the air filter, since that filter is one of those metal mesh K&N stye filters. I am done taking chances with this cheap *$$ chinese crap :P , plus, you cant beat another 10 cents for a pre-filter that costs $10-$20!
I have also purchased some HPI Baja axle boots. Going to put those one one of these days here! Great "upgrade" for $6!
If anyone has a good recommendations for decent rims, please submit links! I am unsure as to which ones will hold up to the Torque generated by this car!
Hope this is helping someone somewhere!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Jgilk1

DO NOT grease the axle boots what so ever...