Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How to Patch gas tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
hmann1020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Patch gas tank?!

Well. Shengqi strikes again!!

The stupid exhaust "can" on my shengqi rc hummer somehow Melted a hole in my gas tank. Guess it was slightly too close or something, possibly touching, dunno, doesnt matter.

Now, the BIG question: Fix it or Buy a New one?
Does anyone have experience in fixing 2 stroke gas tanks? Can it safely be done? will it cost half as much to fix the silly thing as a new one will cost (in which case, I will probably just buy a new one). I would love to fix it if I can do it for a couple (literally) of dollars. I KNOW JB weld does NOT work (have tried this on a goped). In fact, it seems like patching gas tanks is one of the hardest things to do, given that gas and oil is such a volatile and corrosive mixture. Glue will melt, JB weld will leak... after that, Ihave not many other ideas, other than taking some plastic and Bolting a piece of it in place of the hole (about the size of a nickel, in triangle form).

Suggestions!!! Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 PM
VancouverHobbies

Default RE: How to Patch gas tank?!

I've patched my nitro tanks before using a soldering iron, carefully melt the crack back together, if it's a large hole then you'll have to find some similar plastic and melt weld a patch over top. It's a cheap fix, try it, it might work?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 PM
TIGER76

Think you would be better off getting a new one tbh m8 patching ups fine but on a tank?[X(] not worth risking airleaks so no tune or crap getting into and killing your engine []
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
borley1863

Then put silver heat tape over the tank where it touches thats what i have had to do on my MCD with Mielke pipe.
Regards
Guy
Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
hmann1020

well, im not so worried about air leaks, since there are 2 hoses that do just that, allow for ventilation, since this is a 2 stroke motor

im more worried about gas getting OUT and crap getting IN than air getting in. I see that the auto parts stores carry a jb weld for gas tanks... may try that. ill let everyone know how that goes. The plastic "welding"is also an interesting concept! That seems like a nice cheap alternative as well. The hard part will be to find plastic that is both thick enough and gas proof, and then to do the "welding" without further damage to the gas tank itself, as it is a fair sized hole.

I will also do the silver heat tape. Where do I get that stuff anyway?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 PM
borley1863

ORIGINAL: hmann1020

well, im not so worried about air leaks, since there are 2 hoses that do just that, allow for ventilation, since this is a 2 stroke motor

im more worried about gas getting OUT and crap getting IN than air getting in. I see that the auto parts stores carry a jb weld for gas tanks... may try that. ill let everyone know how that goes. The plastic ''welding'' is also an interesting concept! That seems like a nice cheap alternative as well. The hard part will be to find plastic that is both thick enough and gas proof, and then to do the ''welding'' without further damage to the gas tank itself, as it is a fair sized hole.

I will also do the silver heat tape. Where do I get that stuff anyway?
Try ebay they have usualy got some on there.
Regards
Guy
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

using a soldering iron, carefully melt the crack back together, if it's a large hole then you'll have to find some similar plastic and melt weld a patch over top
I've done this as well, both to fuel tanks and other things.
Like mentioned, the plastic you add needs to be similar to the one of the tank.
It's easy to heat it too much though and once you've done that it's hard to get it to stick properly.

JB weld might be the go.
I've never used it, but have used similar stuff.
Make sure to clean the area thoroughly and "rough up" the surface a bit so it has something to grab on to.

Just how big is the hole anyway?
Might be an idea to do both - melt a piece of plastic on (preferably from the inside if you can) and then JB weld it from the outside....?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
hmann1020

i bought some water weld. going to try that first. it says "gas tanks" on the package... ill take pics, let everyone know how it works out :P
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
MCRIPPPer

how much do new tanks cost? i would just get a new one, especially since the exhaust is near it. it could potentially catch a fire if fumes come out.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 AM
dgav407

Don't repair/patch the fuel tank get a new one. It could save you from this.....

A MCF Crossover that caught fire at the recent European Championships.

Clive
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
mooman007uk

depending on the plastic you can, as mentioned, use a soldering iron to weld splits up...did it successfully on my nutech...but some plastic just goes hard and brittle when re heated and wont fuse together

a new tank is only $25 or so, so i'd just buy a new one and save all the hassle...by the time you experiment with goops etc at $6 a tube or more it'll probably be cheaper than fixing it anyhow
Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Jgilk1

jb weld for gas tanks works rather well with metal gas tanks but i have never had any decent seal with it on plastic and for like $10 you can usually pick up a universal weed eater tank @ your local small engine repair shop