RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/10098552-redcat-racing-rampage-mt-v3-lets-review-update-2-24-11-gone.html)

Sherv 02-13-2011 12:26 PM

RE: Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

You get what you pay for as they say. The very few Redcat products Ive seen kickin around here have proven to be absolute garbage and 100% unreliable. Steering knuckles(and transmission shaft bearings) seem to be the recurring issue here locally with the 2 Redcat owners I know. Nutech and more specifically HPI make a much better 1/5th scale product. Can't wait for the Baja Shortcourse SS kit to come out. Im on board for one of those. :)
how much does nutech pay you?

But Dale sure another problem will come a long but but a set screw is so minor. But I also understand what you are saying and how you feel. We have all owned a product (known to be good or bad) that may have just been a bad apple or was just plagued with problems. It is a real downer and sometimes you just feel like there is no point to keep on going. Who knows maybe if you give a week or two you might give it another chance. But out of curiosity how much are you selling it for? (or is it sold aready?)
I might not mind adding a modded/built rampage to my fleet.

lightning73 02-13-2011 12:28 PM

Sorry to hear that Dale, I wish I had the extra cash cause id buy that Rampage from you. But right now money for me is so tight I may have to do the unthinkable (at least as far as im concerned) and sell my Ramp too. I have had my fair share of problems with my truck as well but thats been the case with any R/C I have owned, ive never been lucky enough to own the perfect indestructable R/C car. It will be a sad day for me to have to sell mine if it comes to that.

Good luck Dale hopefully you get what your looking for when you sell your truck.

ntrain42 02-13-2011 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Sherv

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

You get what you pay for as they say. The very few Redcat products Ive seen kickin around here have proven to be absolute garbage and 100% unreliable. Steering knuckles(and transmission shaft bearings)seem to be the recurring issue here locally with the 2 Redcat owners I know. Nutech and more specifically HPI make a much better 1/5th scale product. Can't wait for the Baja Shortcourse SS kit to come out. Im on board for one of those. :)
how much does nutech pay you?

But Dale sure another problem will come a long but but a set screw is so minor. But I also understand what you are saying and how you feel. We have all owned a product (known to be good or bad) that may have just been a bad apple or was just plagued with problems. It is a real downer and sometimes you just feel like there is no point to keep on going. Who knows maybe if you give a week or two you might give it another chance. But out of curiosity how much are you selling it for? (or is it sold aready?)
I might not mind adding a modded/built rampage to my fleet.
How much is Redcat paying you to defend theproblematic and cheaply built knock off productthey produce? ;)

Dale Gribble 02-13-2011 01:41 PM

This is not a debate thread. Guys, out of respect please move your side discussions elsewhere. Do not derail this thread any further.

Dale Gribble 02-13-2011 08:34 PM

I got it back to the way I am going to sell it. I am going to try and sell locally first. If I don't get bites locally, I am going to put it in the marketplace here.

Looks good with that body I painted a ways back.

http://www.intergate.com/~rpurcell/r...page_sale2.JPG

Noom-RC-Thailand 02-13-2011 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Here is a quick overview of the screw mod for the front/rear suspension arm holders for each diff for those that don't know. The idea behind the mod is pretty sound. Basically, the Rampage relies on 4 diff screws to pretty much absorb a lot of shock of the suspension. The stock plastic suspension arm holders (illustration below) use plastic pins to locate the holders on the chassis. Someone found that by screwing the suspension arm holders to the chassis instead of using pins, the diff cases aren't as subject to as much shock from the suspension and help prevent breakage.

http://www.rampagehopups.com/images/...163508802.jpeg

The first step is to drill through the existing chassis holes that position the front/rear suspension arm holders onto the chassis. I used a drill bit size to allow a 10/24 size screw to pass through (right around 5mm). Then you need to counter sink the screws and use counter sink fasteners so the bottom of the chassis stays smooth.

This is what my chassis looked like when I drilled the 4.

http://www.intergate.com/~rpurcell/r...e_diffmod2.JPG

This is a close up of the screws passing through the rear suspension arm holder with nuts holding them on the other side. The 10/24 fasteners are right about an inch in length. Note, while you can get nuts over the screws with the steering setup in place, it is FRUSTRATING. I recommend pulling the steering plate and the whole steering assembly out for this.

http://www.intergate.com/~rpurcell/r...e_diffmod1.JPG

This is a shot of the front suspension arm holder screwed down.

http://www.intergate.com/~rpurcell/r...e_diffmod3.JPG

Note that I did end up cutting off the V3 ears from the chassis to clear the V1 suspension arms. I am going to use limiting straps instead. I think this will be easier on the chassis and gear case by not relying on those parts to limit maximum suspension travel.
good idea, i will try follow your picture....

<br type="_moz" />

Noom-RC-Thailand 02-13-2011 11:26 PM

<div></div><div>i have add ball bearing inside(A position) / reduce gear damage problem as before...</div><div></div><div>http://img.ihere.org/uploads3/dba2cd4752.jpg</div>

looker2756 02-15-2011 01:39 PM

It's great to see a True Un-Biased review on this.

My suggestion to anyone who wants to have 1/5 scale fun. Save your money & buy a proven design with an actual company behind it. Especially in the 4x4 class.

BTW: I have a completely upgraded TT for sale as well if anyone is wanting one

Dale Gribble 02-15-2011 02:11 PM

It is hard to dispute facts when I just put everything out there for all to read.

airflowmax 02-15-2011 02:20 PM

the bearing you need for this is size<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">10x19x7 10mm is the inside diameter, 19mm is outside, and 7mm</span>is the thickness.

racetruck 02-15-2011 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Noom-RC-Thailand

<div> </div><div>i have add ball bearing inside(A position) / reduce gear damage problem as before...</div><div> </div><div>http://img.ihere.org/uploads3/dba2cd4752.jpg</div>
if that gear plate is like the upgread one we have i would not use because the gears are to far apart and the points of the gears the spacing dont mesh tight enough go back to the one without the alum insert or the all alum gear plate

looker2756 02-15-2011 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: racetruck

ORIGINAL: Noom-RC-Thailand

<div> </div><div>i have add ball bearing inside(A position) / reduce gear damage problem as before...</div><div> </div><div>http://img.ihere.org/uploads3/dba2cd4752.jpg</div>
if that gear plate is like the upgread one we have i would not use because the gears are to far apart and the points of the gears the spacing dont mesh tight enough go back to the one without the alum insert or the all alum gear plate
See to me this explains more about what I said earlier. I meant Nothing bad against Redcat in the statement I made, but to say the Parent company came up with an upgrade part with an Alloy insert with improper gear spacing is just Nutty to me ! How would they do that & actually let them out ??? Or better yet Why ?

racetruck 02-15-2011 02:56 PM

the chinese dont have good machist skills i know a company that had to take one of there machist to the china shop to show them how to use the mill that is alot of the problem

bbuzzard 02-15-2011 05:40 PM

I wonder what the Redcat and their vendors have to say to this thread...it is a little disheartening about Dale's woes. FYI, I am speaking as a Redcat owner who hasn't had any of the issues that have been exposed in various threads. I can't defend the problems, not like anyone has asked me to and I can only read objectively and keep knocking on wood.

Just a thought...

alvinm 02-15-2011 06:56 PM

Does he own the latest version?

Dale Gribble 02-15-2011 08:25 PM

Ya, it's a V3, so it is the latest Rampage MT.

alvinm 02-16-2011 03:28 AM

Hopefully, the XT (which is what I was thinking of buying) is a better design..

Obeast44 02-16-2011 06:03 AM

ORIGINAL: alvinm

Hopefully, the XT (which is what I was thinking of buying) is a better design..
It is a very good design, and IMO leaps and bounds above the Rampage. I ran mine for 2 solid tanks without touching anything, I deliberately left it box stock to see what issues may arise. Aside from a lower shock cap and a set screw coming loose on the center front diff drive cup, it has been flawless. A little pre run locktiting here and there, like ALL models need and you will be golden. The only real issue I had was the steering link rod popped out on a VERY hard end over end tumble. About 2 inches of fuel tubing around the rod itself and it won't ever happen again. I would recommend it, but hey according to some here on RCU I am biased.

racetruck 02-16-2011 06:24 AM

Yep you sure are we dont get to put are 2cents in because of it (we are biased redcat owners) I'am glad to hear that the XT is working good for you obeast

Dale Gribble 02-16-2011 09:34 AM

I asked Darrin to work with me on getting a new XT in my hands. Apparently I am good at finding product issues. :D

alvinm 02-16-2011 09:38 AM

You should post your specific experiences so far with the XT in a seperate thread. And why would you be biased..you work for Redcat?

racetruck 02-16-2011 10:30 AM

I dont work for redcat but some guys dont like what say so i wont say much here because of it

mooman007uk 02-17-2011 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I asked Darrin to work with me on getting a new XT in my hands. Apparently I am good at finding product issues. :D

Me too, if there's a weakness I'll find it, however some folks (who shall remain nameless) don't like my honest negativity when problems arise :)
I'd like to pick up a new rampage to try out...it looks fairly promising but my pennies are already allocated for the new toyxc. I do know someone picking up an XT in a couple of weeks though so will be able to see how it holds up round the Vancouver hobbies track which can be pretty hard on cars.

Obeast44 02-17-2011 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: alvinm

You should post your specific experiences so far with the XT in a seperate thread. And why would you be biased..you work for Redcat?

I was actually responding to what you posted.....

nitrosportsandrunner 02-17-2011 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

I wonder what the Redcat and their vendors have to say to this thread...it is a little disheartening about Dale's woes. FYI, I am speaking as a Redcat owner who hasn't had any of the issues that have been exposed in various threads. I can't defend the problems, not like anyone has asked me to and I can only read objectively and keep knocking on wood.

Just a thought...

i am a redcat dealer. i have no problem with dale showing the issues/fixes he has done. dale is not a hater, he is a owner that has had issues, and he has truefully shared them along with his attempts to fix them.
when people post that "redcat sucks" or all redcats are junk, that bugs me alittle. but dale has done no such thing.

it is alittle disheartening to see all the problems dale has had with his rampage.
but lets face it....70% of the time a member makes a thread its cause of a problem! Most dont waste time making a 10page thread on how awsome and realiable their redcat/hpi or whatever brand RC has been. We post when we have breakage or something wrong!

i have done the same. i have a KM baja. i like it alot, but i have had a few things break easy, and posted threads when it happend. doesnt mean i hate the clones or think they are junk. i think my KM is worth what i paid for it.

and i had a t-maxx, which gave me 1 issue after another. every other time i ran it it would break within 5-10 minutes.....much like dale's rampage.
doesnt mean i think t-maxx's are junk. i just didnt have luck with mine. the rampage's have some issues(what RTR 1/5's dont!) but dale's certainly had more problems than the average rampage owner.
if all rampage's gave owners the issues dale has had, then redcat would lose money on them(and dealers wouldnt want to sell them)