RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   An Unofficial Rovan 30.5 Baja Terminator Review and Two Speed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/10118281-unofficial-rovan-30-5-baja-terminator-review-two-speed.html)

reed272 04-15-2011 05:17 AM

RE: An Unofficial Rovan 30.5 Baja Terminator Review and Two Speed

Yea, Americans knows best........ like always....

Foxy 04-15-2011 06:50 AM

lol, I'm british. Look dude, this is a review thread, it's for one guy to share his experiences and others to ask questions. If you want to ask 'do you think it represents as good value as the baja 5b?', and you can accept any possible answer, then go ahead and ask. The place to discuss the good and bad about copied vehicles is here... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70..._1/key_/tm.htm

reed272 04-15-2011 07:12 AM

Ok thanks for the info:)

alvinm 04-15-2011 04:38 PM

My buddy bought a Rovan and just like the KM, the steering servo failed after the first tank. I also nosticed the aluminum wheels it came with are pretty heavy causing the steering to be real slugish. Which steering servo do you all recommend or should he just lose the aluminum and get plastic wheels?

reed272 04-16-2011 03:55 AM

Imo the Multiplex rhino 4 should help alot on that matter.

tonystott 04-16-2011 04:25 AM

ORIGINAL: alvinm

My buddy bought a Rovan and just like the KM, the steering servo failed after the first tank. I also nosticed the aluminum wheels it came with are pretty heavy causing the steering to be real slugish. Which steering servo do you all recommend or should he just lose the aluminum and get plastic wheels?
I bought a Turnigy HV767 coreless digital servo, which only cost under $60. It has over 30kg/cm torque and fits directly in place of the original throttle/brake servo

willclark77 04-19-2011 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mxzrider67

Will ,
Nice job... so after you welded the pins in , have you had anymore problems with the 2 speed ?
I apologize for not answering sooner. I haven't been here in a while. Stupid real life. But no, I haven't had any more trouble. However, it didn't have but another tank or so ran through it after. I have not run it in months.

I did this review because I wanted others to know what to expect: An unbiased owner account. I wanted another baja based rc and these looked good. There's videos all over of them being beatin, but no real owner experiences. Do I think it's a good value? Yes, if you get a good one. Would I buy it again? Probably not. Thefrustration wasn't worth the money saved. The quality control is too hit and miss. Some have gotten theirs and had no real problems. Mine, well, my luck. If I knew I would get a "good" one, heck yeah I'd recommend it.

I'm not getting into the hpi vs clone argument. Heck, the clones now offer so many out of the box options that they're not hardly a clone anymore, but just based on the same design. They're the ones doing something interesting with the baja chassis. Besides, I've had hpi, km, and rovan baja based cars. The most durable and well built one that I have enjoyed most was, well, not the one you'd think.

mxzrider67 04-19-2011 05:54 PM

I have had all three( hpi , km ,rovan) and out of all three they are all great..... but I bought a rovan 26cc baja that I have not done anything to but put gas and tires on it. I thinks that I have run about 15 gallons through it , I am going to put a cylinder kit on it because It is lacking in compression and is hard to start. Still has the original steering servo in it as well as the throttle servo. My hpi 5b steering servowas replaced almost immediately and I had a KM that the servo didnt make it through the 1st tank. I dont know what the answer is to what is better think that it must be luck. The rovan 5b has taken more abuse that both the other ones put together. Just the luck of the draw .</p>

alvinm 04-20-2011 07:17 AM

My friend ended up buying a Futaba 3503 servo I believe it is, and I sold him the stock wheels and tires that were on my KM. The truck is performing great at this point...:D

jaytown 08-27-2011 06:55 AM

<pre>im thinking about geting hpi 5sc or the t1000 <font size="+1">Rovan 5t anyways i would love some input
what would be the best truck to go for what is the good and bad things about the trucks
and am i saveing any money by going out and geting a </font>clone or should i just go out and buy
the hpi 5sc <br type="_moz"/></pre>

Sherv 08-27-2011 07:26 AM

Did you even read the review he wrote?

willclark77 08-27-2011 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Did you even read the review he wrote?
Apparently not. I already answered when he asked on youtube and directed him here for more info instead of retyping everything. I guess copy and pasting his question hoping someone will do it for him is too much easier than actually spending a few minutes reading.

jaytown 08-28-2011 01:18 PM

lol yes i did read the review  on the truck and thats a old review im looking for up to date info on the truck not 2008 of 2010 you got me so  and who want to pay 1300 for 1.5 truck anyways not me thats why im try to get the good and the bad and as for hpi is **** anyways half of the things on my truck went to hell so . and the truck is like a mouth old

Losiracer4life 08-30-2011 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: jaytown

lol yes i did read the review on the truck and thats a old review im looking for up to date info on the truck not 2008 of 2010 you got me so and who want to pay 1300 for 1.5 truck anyways not me thats why im try to get the good and the bad and as for hpi is **** anyways half of the things on my truck went to hell so . and the truck is like a mouth old

My 30.5cc T1000 that I bought about a month ago is holding up excellent. I haven't broken or bent a thing. The engine runs strong. Starts on second or third pull everytime.

I also just got rid of a Rovan 26cc baja buggy that I bought a few weeks ago. I never had any real issues with that either. Ran like a champ other than having to adjust the coil once.

Sherv 08-30-2011 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: jaytown

lol yes i did read the review on the truck and thats a old review im looking for up to date info on the truck not 2008 of 2010
What does that even mean? The Review is less than a year old. It was posted in November of 2010... Hardly old.

Gutten71 09-19-2011 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: willclark77

After reassembling with the bushing I made installed I shot this quick vid of it earlier. I only had a few minutes to test it out. It seems to be workin fine. That's the factory adjustment, too. I ran it again in a rough red clay and sandy place too just before dark, it did great. If things go to plan, I should get much more vid as I see what it can take tomorrow.

http://williamclark77.smugmug.com/Ot...435_b7o6r-A-LB

I got this Rovan Baja 2 speed with 17/57 and 21/53, and i am very satisfied with it, this gear smootly and gives a great top speed, and cause the great quality and cheap price, i have them on all of my four Hpi Baja SS
I have tuned it perfectly so that i can bash with the 17/57 and it shift to 21/53 at flat surface.
But is there anyone who know where i can get a user/tuning guide for an PERFECT gear shift for this Rovan 2 speed ?
I only have the mounting manual that comes with the kit.

Wakko0o 10-07-2012 01:36 PM

Just wanted to say Thank you for your review. It was very helpful on my decision on what 1/5 truck to get. [8D]