RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Advice on 1st 1/5 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/10916245-advice-1st-1-5-scale.html)

tjm5837 01-18-2012 07:55 PM

Advice on 1st 1/5 scale

Want to get into 1/5 scale and was looking at building a HPI baja 5b ss. Now I'm looking at the Redcat rampage XB (already built). The redcat has the 30cc engine and the HPI a 26cc. The price of the redcat is about 300+ dollars less for 4wd, where the HPI is 2wd. I would like opinions from those with experience with both models. Which should I get? I know about the parts availability issues being better with HPI but the Redcat seems to be a better and more robust package out of the box not to mention less cluttered and easier to work on. Your opinions are greatly appreciated and Needed.

savagecommander 01-18-2012 07:56 PM

RE: Advice on 1st 1/5 scale

hpi all the way. the couple hundred extra is worth it in the long run.

bbuzzard 01-18-2012 08:31 PM

Here we go...again:eek:<div>
</div><div>IMO, the basic question is are you going to bash it or race it? How much are you willing to spend for a good RTR? </div>

Shabbernigdo 01-18-2012 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: tjm5837

Want to get into 1/5 scale and was looking at building a HPI baja 5b ss. Now I'm looking at the Redcat rampage XB (already built). The redcat has the 30cc engine and the HPI a 26cc. The price of the redcat is about 300+ dollars less for 4wd, where the HPI is 2wd. I would like opinions from those with experience with both models. Which should I get? I know about the parts availability issues being better with HPI but the Redcat seems to be a better and more robust package out of the box not to mention less cluttered and easier to work on. Your opinions are greatly appreciated and Needed.
havent run the redcat but i do have a hpi baja and there pretty tough. ive only broken 2 things so far and one was because i hit a curb dead onat like 20 mph. The other time is the little screw that holds the pinion on to the clutch bell just snapped after a 3 or 4 foot jump.

2wd is pretty tricky to keep in a straight line on low traction surfaces but thats also what makes it fun imo.

tjm5837 01-19-2012 02:49 AM

Sorry. I guess I did leave out some info about me. I won't be racing. It's just gonna be for bashing. Mostly will be on loose dirt, grass and a little pavement. Everything I own is electric so far. But I love the simplicity of the gas concept vs nitro for my first non electric. My experience is mostly planes and helis. But do enjoy trucks to do something different. Kinda like working on the cars better than the aircraft too. I use a spek dx3C as a tx.
I would probably like to spend less than 1000.00.
One other question. Is the rampage XB the updated version of the TT?

Johnnysplits 01-19-2012 07:22 AM

. I won't be racing. It's just gonna be for bashing
In that case, get yourself an inexpesive one. That's how I started with the cars, trucks, boats, and planes.That way,be it a learning curve with large scale orif you decide that large scale is not really for you, you won't have that much money invested. Large scale is very addicting. Trust me, everything you own now be it electric or nitro will not compare to these.Im just over 4K in my baja alone. I have a few links for you if you decide to go the inexpensive route. If not, hit up DDM and go wild!!!

cheezer1222 01-19-2012 11:09 AM

One other question. Is the rampage XB the updated version of the TT?

I don't believe so. I think the xb/xt line has a few differences, much lighter than the mt/tt for one. I'm sure others will chime in with the main differences.

Personally, I love my baja, it's tough, reliable, and it's been good to me. That being said, I'd take 4wd anything over a better quality 2wd vehicle, especially when all you're doing is bashing. That's just me, though. For the terrain that you said you'd be running through, a 2wd vehicle such as the baja will work just fine. I usually prefer 4wd because the baja can't handle some of the terrain that I tend to run in (deep snow for example).

jbooker82 01-19-2012 06:12 PM

I dont know how much of a difference 4wd would make with a large 1/5 scale. It isnt like they are insainly out of control in 2wd. At least not until you start buying built motors.

I have a Baja 5SC SS LE kit that came with no engine or radio. I put a stock Zenoah G290RC engine in it.

The biggest draw back for me is how the redcat's look. It looks like you took a 1/5 scale on road car and put a pickup body on it, it doesnt fit or look natural.

bbuzzard 01-19-2012 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I dont know how much of a difference 4wd would make with a large 1/5 scale. It isnt like they are insainly out of control in 2wd. At least not until you start buying built motors.

I have a Baja 5SC SS LE kit that came with no engine or radio. I put a stock Zenoah G290RC engine in it.

The biggest draw back for me is how the redcat's look. It looks like you took a 1/5 scale on road car and put a pickup body on it, it doesnt fit or look natural.
<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-family: Arial; ">Man, I don't know what you are talking about...so you don't know the difference between 4WD and 2WD? Also, I don't know what Redcat model you are talking about cause they haven't sold an onroad car in years and the current line don't have anything that...if anything looks bad, it is the X-SC's bumper setup.</div><br type="_moz" />

tjm5837 01-19-2012 06:35 PM

I don't like the looks of the redcat either. Only plus is price and 4wd. Kinda leaning toward Baja 5bss kit, since I think it's better quality and I probably would like to build my own.

tapkoote 01-19-2012 07:21 PM

tjm
i vote to build your own
i just built my first and it was a blast
plus now i can fix it when I get stupid with it.
tap

cheezer1222 01-19-2012 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

<div style=''margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-family: Arial; ''>Man, I don't know what you are talking about...so you don't know the difference between 4WD and 2WD? Also, I don't know what Redcat model you are talking about cause they haven't sold an onroad car in years and the current line don't have anything that...if anything looks bad, it is the X-SC's bumper setup.</div><br type=''_moz'' />
Exactly what I was thinking.

ColdCanadian 01-19-2012 08:00 PM

4wd is much easiar to set up and control (camber, toes in/out)you can pretty much keep it in a straight line on any terrain at wide open throttle. My First 1/5th scale was a 2wd and now I own an MCD 4wd and wouldnt even think of anything 2wd. I (like posted above) would alos prefer a cheaper 4wd over the more expensive and possibly better built 2wd's.

A huge descision in my next puchase is parts availability as you will break parts no matter what model or brand you buy.
Do your own research, open alot of sites up, as many as you can, read as much as you can from all sorts of sites.

RAMTech-HBF-LSF 01-19-2012 09:41 PM

Here is the latest look for my Redcat XT. I have 3 Bajas, one Losi and 2 Redcats. Each are used for different things, but all are worth having.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat1.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat2.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat3.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/FlowXTside.jpg

jbooker82 01-19-2012 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

<div style=''margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; font-family: Arial; ''>Man, I don't know what you are talking about...so you don't know the difference between 4WD and 2WD? Also, I don't know what Redcat model you are talking about cause they haven't sold an onroad car in years and the current line don't have anything that...if anything looks bad, it is the X-SC's bumper setup.</div><br type=''_moz'' />
I just dont really find my Baja totaly out of control to the point where I need 4wd. In order to make 4wd fun to drive you need a lot more power. If your racing on a track then 4wd would be a lot easier to drive, but not nessessarly faster. That is all I was saying about 4wd, and if I want a 4wd vehicle it would be the Losi 5ive right now, maybe a HPI Baja if they ever decide to come up with a gasser.

As for the bad looks, the buggies are not to bad. I could live with that but the Ramage XT is hidious looking from the side.
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...Rampage-XT-GAS

cheezer1222 01-20-2012 07:03 AM

I just dont really find my Baja totaly out of control to the point where I need 4wd.

That's not the only reason to have 4wd, in fact, for me, that's not even the main reason I like 4wd.

In order to make 4wd fun to drive you need a lot more power.

More power? Yes (more parts to move). A lot more power? Absolutely not. A stock 23cc engine will move any 4wd vehicle just fine.

Your statements about 4wd vehicles lead me to believe that you've never driven one.

bbuzzard 01-20-2012 10:07 AM

What's the dimension of that body?
Thanks

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Here is the latest look for my Redcat XT. I have 3 Bajas, one Losi and 2 Redcats. Each are used for different things, but all are worth having.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat1.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat2.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/DesRat3.jpg

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/RedcatRacing/FlowXTside.jpg

jbooker82 01-20-2012 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

Your statements about 4wd vehicles lead me to believe that you've never driven one.

My first two RC's are 4wd. HPI MT2 with an O.S. .18 TZ Turbo. Second RC is a HPI Savage with a LRP .30.

Take the front drive shaft out of ethire vehicle and it is out of control. You cant get past half throttle with out doing a couple of cookies on the way. With the OS .18 TZ in the MT2 you could balloon the tires up like a pizza cutters.

jbooker82 01-20-2012 09:31 PM

More power? Yes (more parts to move). A lot more power? Absolutely not. A stock 23cc engine will move any 4wd vehicle just fine.

Move under its own power and fun to drive are two different things. If you can drift or do doughnuts with your 4x4 1/5 scale on pavement then it would be fun to drive.

cheezer1222 01-21-2012 03:22 PM

Take the front drive shaft out of ethire vehicle and it is out of control. You cant get past half throttle with out doing a couple of cookies on the way. With the OS .18 TZ in the MT2 you could balloon the tires up like a pizza cutters.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this statement.

Move under its own power and fun to drive are two different things. If you can drift or do doughnuts with your 4x4 1/5 scale on pavement then it would be fun to drive.
Driving in high powered circles. Sounds like a blast. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on our definition of "fun."

46u 01-21-2012 03:53 PM

Go to the Red Cat Forum do some intense reading then get back to us.

tjm5837 01-30-2012 09:01 AM

Still haven't bought anything yet. Kinda lookin hard at the Losi 5ive T now. I would want a 30cc engine though. Still it seems like a well thought out model. I know you can get a 30.5 cat5 engine in it installed for extra 300 bucks. Wife kinda gave me a look though when she saw what it would cost. Probably the reason I haven't bought anything yet.

bbuzzard 01-30-2012 10:07 AM

The Losi is a nice beast but it is the 1st version...the rest have been around and have a big knowledge base. IMO, someone who is just getting into to largescale should stick with the tried and true...Just sayin' [8D]

Automan 01-30-2012 01:03 PM

Get that Baja 5sc ss kit or a 5b kit (5sc ss kit is the newest and have the strongest parts stock in box), you will learn much and have a blast building it. In the end it's more fun to drive 2wd in my opinion, it takes more skillz to drive. A 4wd is great and almost drives itself, but it's a risk that you will get bored much sooner then you would with a 2wd.

I have both a new Baja 5sc ss brushless and a Losi 5ive-T gasser with a new bestmotor in it.

The losi 5ive-T 26cc engine is ok, but get a good pipe and you should be satisfied with the performance... but as many largescalers like myself you always wanna upgrade ;)

The 4wd will with out a doubt demand more power then a 2wd does to have fun with it, just saying.

I would get a kit for my first bigscaler, thats my opinion and 2wd is a good place to really learn driving.

Johnnysplits 01-30-2012 04:49 PM

The Losi is just over 37 lbs and with 4WD, you better consider getting a torque monster engine for that beast.