RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Pull starter hard to pull. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/11011539-pull-starter-hard-pull.html)

maherbeemer 03-22-2012 10:56 PM

Pull starter hard to pull.

Its hard to pull to ignite the engine when the spark plug is installed by when I take it off the engine is easy to pull. What could be the problem that is causing this compression? The engine is a Zenoah GR26.

mooman007uk 03-23-2012 06:40 AM

RE: Pull starter hard to pull.

yep, probably...

cumminspower5.9 03-23-2012 07:33 AM

this is with all engines. when the plug is out, the cylinder is not sealed. it is normal.

proanti1 03-23-2012 08:28 AM

A nice, tight 'pop pop pop' is good... but binding is not. If the engine doesn't move smoothly, something is wrong. Do you feel something grinding as you turn it over?

maherbeemer 03-23-2012 08:45 AM

No I don't feel grinding; but its not as smooth as before, my car fell in a puddle of water and it turned off, so I cleaned the engine pretty good...so I dont get the water mixing with the fuel mixture also the electrics is fine since its giving spark, so no there is no grinding? what is the best step to take? shoudl I put a few drop os fuel mixture from the top and try?

Shabbernigdo 03-23-2012 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: maherbeemer

No I don't feel grinding; but its not as smooth as before, my car fell in a puddle of water and it turned off, so I cleaned the engine pretty good...so I dont get the water mixing with the fuel mixture also the electrics is fine since its giving spark, so no there is no grinding? what is the best step to take? shoudl I put a few drop os fuel mixture from the top and try?

how deep was the puddle? did it hydra lock? does it still turn over easy by hand when the plug is removed?

maherbeemer 03-23-2012 09:33 AM

The puddle was deep; but the car was floating for a bit it didn't sink so I pulled it out pretty quickly; and yes it turns easily when the plug is removed.

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

ORIGINAL: maherbeemer

how deep was the puddle? did it hydra lock? does it still turn over easy by hand when the plug is removed?

proanti1 03-23-2012 09:37 AM

Sounds like there still may be water in the crank case. Pull on the starter a bunch with the plug removed and try to clear out any water. You can always just try to start it, if there's water, it won't start.

maherbeemer 03-23-2012 09:46 AM

I am just afraid I will damage it because its not easy a bit hard to pull once the spark plug is in; but I can give it a try by just pulling it and I am pretty sure all the water is out.

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Sounds like there still may be water in the crank case. Pull on the starter a bunch with the plug removed and try to clear out any water. You can always just try to start it, if there's water, it won't start.

proanti1 03-23-2012 11:03 AM

How much harder is it to pull than when it was new? Only other thing I can suggest is pull the engine out of the car, tear it down, and inspect the internals.

tapkoote 03-23-2012 11:25 AM

When our boats get dunked, we pull the plug , turn up side down and pull starter.
You'd be suprised how much water is in the bottom end.

Johnnysplits 03-23-2012 03:56 PM

You could have slightly bent the rod if the motor ingested any water.

maherbeemer 03-24-2012 12:54 AM

I got the engine running; I found out that there was no fuel coming in; when I was cleaning the carberator I didn't insert the small valve in correctly as it was sealed so I corrected it and put the spring in the correct place so it can open and close after that I kept pulling until the fuel was coming in and had the throttle all the way until it turned on. There is just one problem I am facing that I will have to take a look at which caused my car to go striaght in the water is that the full throttle gets stuck; yetserday I confirmed its not from the servo as the throttle by itself moved up, any ideas whats this from?

jimjeep 03-31-2012 06:47 AM

The throttle plate in the carb cannot move without the servo moving if you have a rod linkage and everything is attached correctly. If the engine is revving-up with the throttle plate still in the closed position then there is an air leak somewhere beyond the throttle plate. In a ported 2-stroke engine the entire case is the engines intake, so a small crack or break in a gasket anywhere will cause air to be pulled in and make the engine rev when it's not supposed to. If you think this might be the case then try running it with the WHEELS OFF at a fixed throttle position (idle or slightly higher with radio off), and use a spray can of a light oil protectant or cooking spray (this might make a little mess) to spot spray around the carb base and different spots around the engines case where an air leak could happen. CAUTION: Be careful with what you spray (and make sure it is not highly flammable) and keep a couple of large wet towels close at hand just in case of the possibility of a fire. Short spot sprays and listen for a change in engine speed. If you hear a change wait 2-3 seconds and spray the same spot again if it does it again you will have found the source of the air leak. Good Luck...[8D]

maherbeemer 03-31-2012 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info, what I found out is that the rod linkage would get stuck sometimes due to dirt so I drilled diameter of the whole just a bit wider so it will be more loose until now it seems to be fine; but would keep that info for future reference.