RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   High temp RTV as exhaust gasket? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/11283869-high-temp-rtv-exhaust-gasket.html)

Sigma.40 11-01-2012 07:30 PM

High temp RTV as exhaust gasket?

My exhaust came off while out running the 5SC and I am now missing the exhaust gasket (stock can). Would high-temp RTV work as a gasket temporarily? It looks like I'm going to have to order one, but I want to run it while I can as snow is quickly coming. Would it be bad to just run it for a few tanks without ANY gasket?</p>

sparky 25 11-02-2012 10:07 AM

RE: High temp RTV as exhaust gasket?

If your stuck you could give rtv sealant a try,

Just apply it to the exhaust can and don't install it for around an hour,

this should give it some time to turn slightly rubbery and will seal better once fitted.

mooman007uk 11-02-2012 04:20 PM

it'll probably blow it out..order yourself a copper exhaust gasket and use high temp (grey permatex)on both sides and then tighten it...it'll never leak

Sigma.40 11-02-2012 04:44 PM

I ordered a gasket, but out of curiousity, what would happen if I went without a gasket?

savagecommander 11-02-2012 07:38 PM

your motor will be an oily mess. use a gasket.

Sigma.40 11-03-2012 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

your motor will be an oily mess. use a gasket.
Yes sir. Will do.

phmaximus 11-04-2012 05:03 AM

the gasket helps to seal... it fills in any inprefections within the mating surfaces

proanti1 11-04-2012 08:17 AM

Cut a new one out of thin cardboard, it'll work a lot better than RTV, which will probably just blow out. You can also get exhaust gaskets for these engines at just about any small engine repair shop.

Sigma.40 11-04-2012 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Cut a new one out of thin cardboard, it'll work a lot better than RTV, which will probably just blow out. You can also get exhaust gaskets for these engines at just about any small engine repair shop.
Won't the cardboard burn up? I have one on order but if that works thats incredibly useful knowledge for next time.

Lars from Norway 11-04-2012 02:57 PM

When in need i have used thin cardboard (milk carton) and wrapped it in tin foil. You might be lucky without wrapping it in tin foil too. In fact i have used milk carton on my moped to seal the bottom of the cylinder on it, this kept up well without blowing.

Sigma.40 11-04-2012 03:17 PM

I just tried the cardboard and it worked good.

-Completely off-topic but I just realized that today was the first time I've taken the temp on my Baja. It was 197.6F at the cooling fins on the head and 243F on the exhaust. Are these good?