RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Should the body be off for first tank of break in? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/11517719-should-body-off-first-tank-break.html)

silverman1 05-20-2013 05:52 PM

Should the body be off for first tank of break in?

I was wondering should i run my hpi gasser and redcat rampage without the body on for the first tank of fuel for break in? According to hpi running the first tank of fuel should be done gently. They also say that after the first tank you should be good to go to run it harder. I do understand and know they are much different then nitro engines and do not need the intense break in process like nitro vehicles. I also so many people on youtube doing the break in with the body on.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. I plan to run Klotz as my main oil after break in.

mooman007uk 05-21-2013 06:32 AM

RE: Should the body be off for first tank of break in?

no break in required...do a quick heat cycle for 10mins, wot allowed in bursts...then let it cool, then tune it and thrash the pants off it

ask yourself this...do you have to run in a weedwacker, chainsaw, pipe saw etc....nope you don't and our little engines are no different. gently idling on a stand for a tank or 2..lol, breakin in for 2-3 tanks etc is totally unnecessary, is a nasty residue left over from peoples nitro days and will hurt the performance more than help it..this debate has been floating around for a while now and it's a non debate...i contacted zenoah, got a reply and yhey stated, a quick heat cycle and off you go...no break in required
can't imagine gently weedwacking for 2-3 tanks...lol wouldn't get much done

you can "run it in" how you want but hard driven engines drive hard

Foxy 05-21-2013 08:26 AM

RE: Should the body be off for first tank of break in?

They only say those things to help avoid warranty issues from people who expect to be able to totally spank their engine from the first second they light it up. These engines don't require any kind of break in process, it is just sensible to take it easy for the first 10-15 minutes while the fuel oil circulates for the first time, bed everything in, then tune for speed and never look back.

denniswoo 06-20-2020 06:16 PM

Every engine needs a break in period, and keeping the body off during break-in is a good idea to be able to check for things like leaks and loose parts during break-ins. The rings, pistons and cylinder walls need to break in together. you need a cool down cycle between runs. Yes these are basically weed wacker engines even those need to be broke in. Break in your engine as you will, i will take the time to do it right. I run my engines a little rich and use good premium oil, to me a wet exhaust stack is a good thing. Two cycle engines depend on the fuel and oil for lubrication and the most important thing cooling. Keep your cooling fins clean and try to allow as much fresh air across the fins as possible. Keep your engine shrouds in place they are very important for directing air past the fins. I never just take my RC vehicles out without first checking them over very good, do your radio range checks and make sure you know what is in the path of your vehicle, these things have a bit of weight to them and can cause a lot of damage to a person/property just be safe. I have been into radio control since the 70s and have had very few problems with engine failures due to lack of proper break-in. Take care of your equipment and it will last a long trouble free time. When most engines are sent back in for a warranty claim the first thing that is checked is for lack of oil and heat damage over half are denied because of improper oil and overheating. Do yourself a favor break in your engines with a heat cycle type run in for at least two tanks of fuel at a rich idle with the proper oil mixture, then enjoy them.
T