RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Beetle to Monster Beetle Conversion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/2594525-beetle-monster-beetle-conversion.html)

32Ford 01-28-2005 02:47 PM

Beetle to Monster Beetle Conversion

1 Attachment(s)
I got my Monster Beetle conversion kit in from killermolly yesterday along with some alloy parts and sat down to do the face lift. As expected instructions are non existent so you are left to your mechanical ability but it is fairly straight forward and other than the supplied hardware and a missing pipe coupler went off with out a hitch. I only ran in to a couple of problems while doing it, one being the new ring gear rubbed the shock tower slightly. Quick fix with a file and i now have the needed clearance for the ring gear. The next issue was the side body mounts. There was no dimension for where to drill the hole in the main roll bar loop for them. After some head scratching and a few quick measurements i determined the the holes needed to be drilled 50mm from the bottom of the bar. I measured twice and drilled once for a perfect fit. I also had to drill body mount holes in the aft end of the roll bar between the main hoop and wing mount. I used a #18 drill bit to drill these holes as well as the lower forward holes. All in all the conversion kit is very complete and reasonably priced but i sure wish FG would think about their customers and give good instructions and at the very least a hardware schematic so you know what goes where. I only used a few screws from the supplied hardware and it kinda leaves you second guessing. My Beetle now has 3 distinct looks, Off Road, On-Road and Monster Beetle and other than the gear ratio change for the MB only takes a few minutes to change the look of the car and the big investment of 3 separate cars. While i had the car apart i added alloy engine mounts, gear carrier and gear plate. Nice items as well. It's now off to the paint shop for the new Beetle body!

Jim....

kiora 01-28-2005 03:04 PM

RE: Beetle to Monster Beetle Conversion

nice buy, how much was it? I thought about it for my Marder but figured what the hell and bought a whole new MB:D:D

I did have 4 distinct looks off/on/marder and monster, but the old beetle shell was cut up to fit the MB, untill I can paint the new one.

Col.

dazzahughesuk 01-28-2005 03:22 PM

That sounds like a great idea, convert my marder to a MB.or i could wait a while, (before the summer starts) and but a MB ;)

Dazza

32Ford 01-28-2005 03:54 PM

My problem is i get tooooo many cars / trucks around and some just don't get used often at all. I have a tone of stuff on eBay right now just because i accumulated too many. For me this is a more practical way to go and less money collecting dust. I do have an FG competition TC coming and doubt i'll use it much at all but i've got to have it.LOL!

rubaga 01-28-2005 04:28 PM

Congratulations! Nice description of the work involved in converstion. I personally stopped expecting that everything would fit when I first bought Leo. First of all the radio box needed cutting and secondly it did not feet nicely on radio tray - the side body mount was preventing it from getting into its space. Since that day I am not suprised when something does not fit.

For me the assembling bit is equally or even more important then the driving. Hard to see what I like more. Plus its very cold here so not much driving before spring.

May be in understanding that there are a lot of people like me - looking for challenge - FG does not bother with proper instructions!