RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   A starter... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/3386821-starter.html)

Automan 09-23-2005 01:09 PM

A starter...

I have been thinking on and off for a long time, if there is an electric starter kit for these 26cc - 29cc engines, is there any such thing available ?

I know it's not the hardest thing to make your self, but im just curious of there is a kit to buy.. rtr so to speak ;)

Btw, the space it will take is not a problem.

StefanL 09-23-2005 01:42 PM

RE: A starter...

On large scale homemade engines, V-8´s and bigger in the 100 cc range and up use regular 540 style electric motors like those in 1/10 electric cars. Look at Conleys V-8...

http://www.conleyprecision.com/pics/supercharge.jpg

The small probelm would be hooking it up, but it is very much doable (is that even a word?).

Automan 09-23-2005 03:07 PM

Thanks Stefan. but i know all that. I have seen those engines long time ago and have had a a few very big off road motorcycles and very fast road racers. Im just curious if there is a ready to bolt on electric starter kit for smaller 2stroke engines, as there are for 49cc and up. Would be cool :)

If i cant find a ready kit, i will see if i have time to fix one myself maybe, and as you said, those electric engines for the 1/10 etc would probably work. Just want it watertight to ;)

Acs_guitars 09-23-2005 03:20 PM

Look at some of the gas powered scooters... I am sure someon has made and electric start for those, and alot of scooters have zen or zen-copy motors. Anyway, IMO Pull start on the engines is better.... 3 pulls and go, no starter battery to worry about.

StefanL 09-23-2005 03:32 PM

I thought you already had that figured out Automan. Just wanted an excuse to put up a picture of a blown mini V-8 that´s all! :D

A ready kit? Haven´t seen any, not on rc or any other contraption that uses small two-strokes. But I can see no reason why a starter for a 50cc won´t work on a 26cc. Go pry one off a scooter moped at a junk yard or something...

I honestly think though that it would be better to make a homemade starter, it isn´t rocket science. There is anyway a bit of work fitting a gear to the Zen flywheel etc, so why not do the whole thing?

Stefan

Soloratov 09-23-2005 04:24 PM

As you said, many of the 49cc engines have to starter, and like mine, that I got from a pocket bike, it has an electric start. Howver, you wouldn't be able to use it on anything like the 26cc's, because it's built in. Problem is, and I may be wrong, but like mine, don't all the FG type engines have a clutch attached? If it didn't you could just add an extension and run a belt to the motor. You can look around, but like I said, most larger engines have built in starters, and stators.....so the battery is a plus.

Automan 09-23-2005 04:49 PM

Stefan, i can understand why you want to put that picture up ;) i just love those engines.. V8, V10 etc, just sitting and listen to the sound in those videos when they test run these beauty's is heaven :) And those few vids when they test them in a car, woow.

Thanks everyone !! i guess there is no rtr package for this electric starter:D i will look into if I'm going to put any energy to make a starter now, or a simple reverse.... as reverse seam to be sometime in the future, a few years from now maybe :( Will see if i will fix that or start to do something else instead :D

Acs guitars, sure it's very easy to start these engines, just a few pulls and of you go. But starting it from the remote would be cool [8D]:D

Deanwvu 09-23-2005 04:55 PM

I will preface this post by saying I know nothing about nothing :)

I noticed your other question the other day--about reverse...

Combined with this question, are you looking for a large scaler that will:

1. Go in reverse
2. Start on demand from the radio?

If so, that would be AWESOME!!

Automan 09-23-2005 05:59 PM

Im not looking for a large scale car, but thanks anyway... for nothing :D (im just joking with you)

And yes, that would be rather cool if i could get those things to work, reliable, then i would be satisfied.... for a few hours ;) Until next idea pups up, like for many in here :)

Soloratov 09-23-2005 09:15 PM

I recently upgraded to SolidWorks for my CAD design. Automan, if you are interested, I am going to be putting my reverse gearbox into the program to see how it will fit in my truck. After I get it built in the program, i could send you an exploded view you could work from to build a smaller version for the 1/5ths. It's a real simple design and should be fairly easy to make with the right tools. Not sure what you have access to, but a mill should be all you need. Let me know and when I finish the design I will send you a copy of the image.

JQuest64 09-23-2005 09:19 PM

No matter how many times I see those Conley's, they still amaze me.

jimbo1890 09-23-2005 10:48 PM

Automan, I can remember a thread about this, It's way back though and from memory there was a picture if the aircraft version of the zenoah with a starter motor mounted that was controlled from your radio.

I had a bit of a search and could not find the thread but I know it's there somewhere.

ibstar 09-24-2005 07:10 AM

yeap there is also a marine electric start for zem engines
i think it was mhz in germany doing them

ibstar 09-24-2005 07:21 AM

not very nice looking though
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fema.htm

Automan 09-24-2005 07:22 AM

Thanks Soloratov, that would be great if you could send me that exploded view of a reverse module [sm=thumbup.gif] So i have something to compare my own thoughts against ;)

jimbo1890, yes.. thanks for the info, i will search around that area and see if i find something.

He he... funny thought, just install a second 26cc engine for the reverse and connect it to the main drivechain :D NOT ;)

Edit: Thanks ibstar, some great info there, i will get right on it and check it out [sm=thumbup.gif]

James Yeung 09-26-2005 11:06 AM

I was always interested with this (FEMA) onboard starter for my planes. Alas, I think it's too much of a weight penalty for my 45-60 size planes.

Does anyone know if the electric motor is always engaged? Would act as a battery charger, eh?

Anyway, RPMS on a gas would be twice that and if it's always engaged, that cannot be good for an r/c plane design!?

Soloratov, please do send a CAD drawing of reverse here and to the reverse thread. Would be interesting to study when you finished!

Thanks,

James

MrMikeG 09-26-2005 04:52 PM

Homelite made an electric start weed trimmer, maybe you could adapt that system, it would be cheap as well! ;)

Soloratov 09-26-2005 04:53 PM

CRAP! Forgot to bring the thing home today from work! Will try to remember tomorrow. Anyway, I can't imagine an electric motor being any good for charging the battery it runs off of. Thats the old........perpetual energy/motion idea. Wouldn't work. Thats why cars have an alternator, there is always less electricity being used than there is going in.

It's why for my truck I am to get a tiny 12v battery to hook to the engines stator, and it should be strong enough to recharge the battery since I am only using it to start the truck, run the radio gear, and maybe some lights.