RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   HPI Baja 5B new release date (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/3642390-hpi-baja-5b-new-release-date.html)

USABaja5B 12-11-2005 03:45 PM

HPI Baja 5B new release date

1 Attachment(s)
I see on the HPI website that HPI will release the Baja some time in February. Looks good to me so far, I hope it lives up to its heritage of the Savage. Seems like a long time to wait, but it'll be here right after the holidays and maybe some warmth for you Northern guys.

Post any news you see here, so we can talk about our next purchase.

Canadian_RC 12-11-2005 04:04 PM

RE: HPI Baja 5B new release date

Massive shocks, looks like it will have some HUGE suspension travel.

TurtleRacing 12-11-2005 04:26 PM

I would like to know how they did the externally adjustable pistons??? I don't see any adjustments in the pic. Oh, well, just curious.

gonsped69 12-11-2005 06:32 PM

My my, those ARE very long shocks :D

Just hope they won't warp as the piston shaft does not look thick enough.

Kemo 12-11-2005 09:41 PM

Cant wait to hear from peeps who already pre-ordered. Late February is what i have read... but thats just tower for you. Wouldn't buy there again if my life depended on it.

TurtleRacing 12-12-2005 10:04 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about that also. I hope that it holds up!

HeatFire 12-12-2005 10:16 AM

they will hold.. they probebly just uses harder metal then other shocks:)
would be stupid to make the suspention weak...
i just hope ppl will have it before the snow melts...
driving in snow and on ice is great:D

Mad Wax 12-12-2005 10:26 AM

What about the rim spokes? They don't seem to go back a bit into the rims (not like a U shape) just a flat piece of spoke design. Still a bit concerned with suspension arms and how the front shock towers will cope with rolls. Waterproof? RC box looks good with switch and charging terminals neat and behind rubber covers, but would like a larger RC plate to fit 2x steering servos plus a spare standard size for cable/hydro brakes. Sealed gears a + so is location of inlet, seems to be bit more shielded unlike FG (which can suck up grass) also dual layshaft brakes and no "FG upper rear A arm smacking into gearing" similar fault. Also location of pipe unlikely to be damaged unlike stock exhaust on Marders which stick out.

If I didn't have a buggy might get this later on, if it's reported to be fault free.

TurtleRacing 12-12-2005 11:16 AM

The only thing I can say about the rim is the dish shape would add some rigidity, is it enough?? Hope so, but you're right, I don't see any reinforcement ribs.

Canadian_RC 12-12-2005 11:20 AM

HPI has been designing and testing this thing for 18 months, I doubt they would release it with weak suspension arms and weak spokes.

hellya 12-12-2005 11:23 AM

Thats probably why its not been released yet .....it has a couple more months of fine tuning

radio_controlled_mad 12-12-2005 11:27 AM

nothing is bullet proof - wouldnt be much call for spares or option parts if it was..sometimes its a good thing to have a weak link/fuse point to save other expensive parts from stress

HeatFire 12-12-2005 11:36 AM

well like mad wax says.. some room for servos would be nice.. but i guess they will make one later on..
but i must say.. even though i only got one servo for steering on my marder i feel it's enough atleast for bashing..
and for brakeing.. aint like.. 10kg enough? maybe you could sacrefice some brake power onthe back wheels for some more in front??:)

SELWA 12-12-2005 11:39 AM

From what the video shows an on-road with rally tires can do the same. :eek:

My big concern is how it works in the cold. Feb is when it's pretty cold here like other areas of the world. Today we have -16 and -25 or more with the windchill. I'd like to see a company test in a cold climate as well. This hobby is not seasonal!! :D:D:D

By the way does anyone know how much it weighs??

radio_controlled_mad 12-12-2005 11:43 AM

1 decent steering servo is better than two - when running two if you dont have both 2 end points adjusted or dont have a transmitter with that facility then one servo always burns out quick as they put stress when one is trying to pull the other push...10kg is for enough braking - you only need 8kg (min) or 11kg (max) for hydro and thats only because your pushing airtight fluid through callipers - so 10kg on a layshaft brake is more than enough...i think madwax was trying to say there is no room physicaly to mount a extra servo to run say 2 sets of cables or 2 sets of hydros...but there is nothing to stop running the back stock layshaft brake and a set of cable/hydro on the front off the one servo that it comes with the rtr kit...but will have to wait for the hpi option brakes due to the mounting/bolt pattern on hubs

TurtleRacing 12-12-2005 11:47 AM

Selwa,check out HPI site,they have a pic of the baja in the snow.It's their December calender wallpaper.There is also another web site where they tested it in the snow
http://www.rcworld.ch/neueprojekte.asp?id=2613

21.3 lbs (9.6kg)

hellya 12-12-2005 12:02 PM

That link and their test gives no important info

try this website translator...... youll see, no info just alot of blah blah blah

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/website...ranslator.html

I think almost anyone of use could probably give more info and conduct a better test

TurtleRacing 12-12-2005 12:16 PM

I'd have to agree with that, it wasn't very indepth. One of the members from Germany translated it & it made alot more sense, but the article was still lacking in detail.

SELWA 12-12-2005 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TurtleRacing

Selwa,check out HPI site,they have a pic of the baja in the snow.It's their December calender wallpaper.There is also another web site where they tested it in the snow
http://www.rcworld.ch/neueprojekte.asp?id=2613

21.3 lbs (9.6kg)
Thanks I just checked it out. But you can still run in the snow when it's warm out. Buy the way the snow looks, it's not really cold there. :D

Looks cool but we will see when it gets up here.

USABaja5B 12-12-2005 03:45 PM

I got the call from Tower Hobbies. They are not honoring my pre-order price for the Baja. I cancelled my order, and will now boycott Tower Hobbies. They didn't seem to care that I spend $1000 a year on thier site, for cars, trucks, tires and airplane stuff.

subarubrat 12-12-2005 04:22 PM

Same thing here. I took a risk getting in tower's line and giving them the benefit of a pre-order and they have chosen to make that risk a one way risk. When they called me today I told them to go to hell.

Kemo 12-12-2005 04:34 PM

Woohoo, I am not the only one who feels that way. I'll buy this beast at the somewhat LOCAL hobby shop.

hellya 12-12-2005 04:54 PM

Lost 2 with me

Canadian_RC 12-12-2005 08:20 PM

Tower's price jumped to $1024 - my LHS is still going to be offering it for $1099 CANADIAN. Sounds like Tower is trying to rip us off, regardless of what "little" changes were made to the design, that does NOT justify a $100 price gain.

hndaman1 12-12-2005 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: hellya

Lost 2 with me

tower lost my 2 orders of the baja as well