RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   How to Build a Large Scale Buggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/5706705-how-build-large-scale-buggy.html)

zja08 04-12-2007 06:49 PM

How to Build a Large Scale Buggy

I want to build a large scale buggy for cheep, I need some help. I do not know what to use and what I need. I was thinking a simple chain drive. What do you all use to build these cars. I am on a very limited budget currently, arround $100 for a roller. I can find a engine without a problem so that is eleminated. I want something large like 1/4th scale, possibly.

I hope to start tommorow!!

Thanks for all your help.

Soloratov 04-12-2007 09:28 PM

RE: How to Build a Large Scale Buggy

Well, a hundred bucks is really stretching it.....even for just a rolling frame. Pretty much rules out a differential, and any real kind of suspension. There have been a few homemades posted here that work great and don't really have those features. Try sending a message to one of those guys. Would be a good place to start.

bigmodman 04-12-2007 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i use smome tubing to make look as real as possible.:)i have designed a sand rail chassis that looks really cool.go to the steel shop and buy some 1/4 inch stuff.or you can go get some 1/2 inch conduet from your lcal homedepot and get 4 ten foot poles for around 10 bucks.the 1/4 inch idk how much it costs

sam123 04-12-2007 11:03 PM

The best thing to do would be if you get a second hand nitro truck or buggy off ebay and use that for parts. It turns out alot lighter and cheaper than trying to fabricate everything yourself. For more help just look at my threads named "homemade rc car' and 'nitro to gas conversion'.

Acs_guitars 04-12-2007 11:12 PM

search and read..... unless you have alot of material at you disposal for free (or already paid for) $100 is not enough to build anything large scale. Think of all the compnents you will need and price things out. My advice will be the same as always... If you have money (quite a bit more than $100) and want to enjoy the process of fabricating... Go for it! If you are just wanting to get into large scale for cheap, this is not the way it will take you WAY out of budget. Save your money and keep an eye out on ebay and RCU for a used vehicles, this will be MUCH cheaper than scratch building in the long run.

drevil 04-13-2007 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: sam123
The best thing to do would be if you get a second hand nitro truck or buggy off ebay and use that for parts. It turns out alot lighter and cheaper than trying to fabricate everything yourself. For more help just look at my threads named "homemade rc car' and 'nitro to gas conversion'.
The problem with that is just about everything on a 1/10 or even 1/8 scale will be too small for a large scale.

$100 just isn't going to get you going. Just the wheels, and shocks alone will blow that budget. The only thing I can suggest is if you have a welder, then buy some steel rod and start creating a frame. Then as money becomes available add parts to it. Otherwise take Acs-guitars' recommendation and start saving money for a used Marder/Firehammer/Baja on ebay.

T I G 04-13-2007 02:38 PM

Steel rod will be too heavy.
He would be better off getting either Chromoly or DOM tubing.
Personally, I use DOM. After I use up my stock, Ill be getting Chromoly. Both seamless.