RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Buying a baja..probably a clone? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/7412632-buying-baja-probably-clone.html)

naynay12 04-24-2008 12:55 AM

Buying a baja..probably a clone?

Hye guys i have saved up $1200 AU and a baja ss with radio and some prefilter and oils is $1550 roughly.That about $1400 US.
Anyway i ahve been looking into clones since itsa going to take me another 3 months to save up for an SS.
I can get a KM clown for $700 here so i have roughly $500 spare.
I was thinking of spending that extra money on the weak parts for the clone.
So anyone that owns are clone what parts should i replace?
I will be getting:
XS3 radio with an SF-10 metal geared servo
Prefilters and diff oil etc
Probably a ZENOAH 26 CC engine
Proabaly badland tires...how are the stock rims and front tires?
Anything else such as brakes diff etc?
Please help fill my list of any parts!Sinbce i dont want to start it up and find out that this and that are no good,and then wait a couple week for my parts to arrive from the US... Thanks!

beer=food 04-24-2008 01:01 AM

RE: Buying a baja..probably a clone?

Get the real deal mate, the HPI one is better, a little more saving now will save you headaches later.

FGmyzer 04-24-2008 01:33 AM

the Baja clone shipped to germany 1 week 360 euro plus post tax

the hpi baja5 in germany cost 1100-1200 euros that is $1700- 1900US

i save 800 euros, $1200US why would i spend that much more? I could buy 2 more clones and have 3 or have 1 hpi baja

You in the USA have good prices

naynay12 04-24-2008 02:49 AM

Yes,but with $500 in upgrades i think i could make iut just as good as the SS for less?

beer=food 04-24-2008 05:18 AM

Dunno lm in australia, there all dear down under ! Still the quallity is what you pay for, there will be inferior parts ona clone, pot luck l guess, l see your point though, at less or about half the cost why not try one !

tizdaz 04-24-2008 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Yes,but with $500 in upgrades i think i could make iut just as good as the SS for less?
but it still wont be the "HPI Baja" & im pretty sure it wont be long until you think "wish i saved that extra few $ to get the real thing!" :)

When i bought my FG MB Pro, i too was looking at clones, but in the end i went with FG & have to say im 100% happy i did as all clones seem to do is give people problem after problem!

Im not saying ALL clones are bad, but most are & it also depends on your driving style, if you like to drive in "care-bare" mode (ie: very little or no bashing whatsoever!) then im sure any clone will do you good :) However if your planning to do some bashing & jumps etc.. you will have problems with clones according to what ive read on these forums & other forums.

As others have said, save that extra $ mate & get the HPI Baja :)

or... get an FG Baja which is even cheaper \o/ (sorry couldn't resist!!) :D :D

splcrazy 04-24-2008 08:18 PM

Does DDM sell thier baja's to australia ? they have em real cheap

sheograth 04-24-2008 08:24 PM

Get the real thing [&:]

hellya 04-24-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Get the real thing [&:]
Hey isnt that a coke a cola commericial:D

naynay12 04-24-2008 09:09 PM

But if i get the real thing,that means saving for another 3 months +

Karter01 04-24-2008 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: naynay12

But if i get the real thing,that means saving for another 3 months +
That's ok, it will be worth it.

The Clones are CRAP. Nothing more to it than junk.
You will love the REAL thing. [sm=thumbup.gif]

splcrazy 04-24-2008 11:12 PM

ive been looking at the clone for a while i wouldnt get it man , you would almost imediatly need a new steering servo and better radio , and i dunno i dont trust the cheapo plastic parts it comes with, try to resist the temptation and just save up more for the hpi brand , it'll be a wait well worth$$$ it in the long run .

hellya 04-24-2008 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Karter01

That's ok, it will be worth it.

The Clones are CRAP. Nothing more to it than junk.
You will love the REAL thing. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Are they??? Do you own 1?? All the 1/5 vehicles have their weak spots....even a baja5...trick is to find out what they are and try to fix them:D

Get what your wallet can afford....then if it isnt broke dont fix it...until you need to:)

The KM Baja is innerchagable with HPI's baja spare parts and hopups .... so parts are cheap and plentiful

I'm still running on the Stock servos.....but I upgraded the RX/TX to a spectrum

naynay12 04-25-2008 05:56 AM

Ok maybe i shouldnt get one,im just sayinmg i will have over $500 spare change,and with that money i can afford to hop up the weak parts and get nice electronics...

EDIT:Also ddm ships to Australia for $150 but when you add atleast $120 in customs i might as well pay an extra $50-100 and get it from Australia(about $1200 US it works out to in Australia,for just the ss kit shipped)

Muswagon 04-25-2008 06:03 AM

The term 'clone' is being used to describe everything right now.

The CLONE is the Baja X, which is 100% interchangable with the Baja 5B

The FS line is 90-95% interchangable with MCD, sort of a clone, but not identical

The XRC buggy is just a cheap 1/5th scale, its not a clone of anything, its just cheap

So, get the Baja X, they are dirt cheap and you have the right idea, you will have a $500 advantage on a great radio and Baja 5B hopups that are all a direct fit.

splcrazy 04-25-2008 06:16 AM

look just get the real thing lol , when you havnt got the money , you havnt got the money lol thers no point trying to stretch that cash further going the cheap way out its just gonna bite you in the rear end , do it once and do it once and for all just save up man , if i were you id get the baja5b rtr and then save up for a engine upgrade like a 29cc race ported with 2mm stuffed crank and a spektrum radio with a DDM rear mount pipe , if you have a steady job just go to the bank and get a plastic card if you know what i mean lol they will send it to you in one week just make sure you dont miss out the monthly repayments , these days they give any average joe blow off the street credit cards lol .

mikeinoz 04-26-2008 07:30 AM

If its gona take you 3 months to save up a few $100 this hobby ain't for you! The spending doesnt stop with the car and a few hot ups. Also you mentioned about waiting for hot ups to arrive from DDM, you can get them all in Australia probably overnight.

splcrazy 04-26-2008 06:15 PM

yeay but ddm express is still pretty fast , order now and recieve same day a week later

naynay12 04-27-2008 05:13 AM

Ok guys,well i just got an offer of a KSR baja 5b(what is ksr)?Anyway his son was not a very good driver apparently and didnt even get 5 minutes run time and it crashedso the car is to big for him...He said needs about $100 in front end parts will get pics soon,asking for $200 shipped without engine,or electronics...If i buy a jr2 radio a metal geared sf-10 radio and a nice steering servo and a 26cc engine with filters and fixs the front end i will be at $600,and then have another $600 on upgraded parts such as drive train,anyway you guys get the point...so i might go for that and probably end up with something better then the ss for a few hundred cheaper...Also i normally get about $100 a month but i things to pay for such as saving up for a real car and i cant work that much since im sill at school...So whats a KSR 5b baja?

DarkFire989 04-27-2008 09:37 AM

I have no idea. But my KM baja comes tuesday!

mikeinoz 04-27-2008 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

yeay but ddm express is still pretty fast , order now and recieve same day a week later
So why order from overseas, wait a week and pay more when you can buy the products locally, get them the NEXT day, and save money.
Do you order all your groceries from overseas?

tizdaz 04-27-2008 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

If its gona take you 3 months to save up a few $100 this hobby ain't for you!
Have to disagree (a little!!!) :D

ive had my MB Pro over a year now & up until now all i have bought is a few essential hop ups when i started up which set me back no more than about £50.

largescale IS more expensive to start off than the likes of nitro in most cases ..but tbh providing you get a good model (ie: not a clone!) theres no reason for you to be dishing out £££ all the time (unless you bash it like a nutta or cant drive ofc!!) :D

hellya 04-27-2008 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

So why order from overseas, wait a week and pay more when you can buy the products locally, get them the NEXT day, and save money.
Do you order all your groceries from overseas?
Not everything is cheaper in OZZZ:D But you do a good job.......

If its gona take you 3 months to save up a few $100 this hobby ain't for you! The spending doesnt stop with the car and a few hot ups. Also you mentioned about waiting for hot ups to arrive from DDM, you can get them all in Australia probably overnight
You dont have to be rich to be in this hobby............you just have to look for deals...good deals......

I snagged up a NEW in the box Smartech Traveller ( same as a Firehammer, Spider, XTM) it came with a 23 cc zenoah direct from Tiawan...
$285 plus ship off ebay....how much is a 23 cc engine almost as much as this car:Dunless you find a good deal

DarkFire989 04-27-2008 04:35 PM

That is a deal. Only 2 more days for my KM. I cant wait!

gazzapro 04-27-2008 10:08 PM

Hi I can get a TQ baja with a 26cc for $740 including shiping in Australia from Oversize RC. The real HPI baja ss will cost me $1500 + shiping. Is it worth it? How much beter is a HPI ss over tha standed baja? I could get a standed for $900.