RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/7677148-just-started-homemade-rc-car-need-help.html)

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 05:48 AM

Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help

Hello guys!I'm new here,but have been playing around with rc cars for years.I own a kyosho mad force and owned a kyosho landmax.I decided to take a summer project.I started thinking of building a 1/5 rc car from scratch.I will use an aluminium flat base that i will make.I dont know if i can use the diff from my mad force and probably the gears,or just put a solid axle to the rear wheels and drive it straight from the motor with a chain like on karts....I'm going to use a chainsaw engine or a leef blower...I'll see what i will find....I have almost one million questions,but first things first.I designed a stage1 general chassis for the car.Tell me what you think and we'll go from there...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2905/spa0308ps4.jpg

Smartechracing 06-30-2008 05:54 AM

RE: Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help

Will you use Homelite chain saw engines? what size of the engine?

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 06:07 AM

I don't know about the engine yet...I'm putting my mind right now on the design of the chassis and the drivetrain....But i will probably use a 32cc engine

bsrman14 06-30-2008 08:11 AM

Chainsaw motors are rated by cc. 32 cc motor is barley 2 hp. The other problem with chainsaw motors is the weight and the clutch parts. It is easier to use a trimmer motor with a clutch. You can still find trimmer motors with 2 hp. Otherwise you will have to go bigger for more hp with chainsaw motors.

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 10:06 AM

What options do i have?What are some good engines i can use?Zenoah seems to expensive for me!

sam123 06-30-2008 10:16 AM

Chainsaw engines are very powerful, but it can be hard to mount sprockets onto their clutchbells. A weed trimmer engine would be perfect, since they are lightweight and cheap. Just make sure you get one that is about 30cc and has a full crank (pullstart and clutch on opposite ends of the engine).
Any bigger than 30cc and they can become quite heavy.

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 10:55 AM

For how many hp should i be looking for?

sam123 06-30-2008 11:01 AM

1.5 to 4.5 hp. Too much power and you will wear out parts much faster.

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 11:06 AM

Thanks guys!I'll keep an eye out there for the right engine.How is the chassis looking?

sam123 06-30-2008 11:12 AM

Your chassis looks like it should be fine. Just make sure you remove some of the area around the rear wheels, so the tyres dont catch.

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 11:42 AM

I will remove some of the rear and front too.Because as i see it i wont be able to steer to tight...If i use kart front wheels do you think it is going to be overkill?I mean will it be able to spin the rears at all?

In case you lost it somewhere,i am considering putting 4 front kart wheels that are not huge,both in the rear and front axle

turbodremz23 06-30-2008 12:36 PM

just a thought, but has anyone looked into using the FeatherLite brand engines? Usually on weedeaters, and some trimmers, but pretty good rpm range..

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 01:04 PM

I cant seem to find a 3hp or more powered engine below 40cc!What is the weight limit on these designs?

mojavemonster 06-30-2008 01:47 PM

Hey Cupra.....you never said what kinda rig this is gunna be. On road/ off road?

Foxy 06-30-2008 03:44 PM

Giorgo, you can find Zenoah engines at good prices. If you are careful how you order, you don't pay teloneio. The stock 26cc Zenoah is only $225 at CCracing, and will give you plenty of power.

Are you in Athens?

Steile mou PM ama thes, xerw thn agora polu kala. ;)

Lars from Norway 06-30-2008 04:45 PM

Hi.I've made an 1/5 scale car from scratch using aluminium profiles using a Jonsered 45 ccm chainsaw engine.It doesnt have suspension,was only meant to be a fun-project that got a bit more serious than I thought,but still not too serious,he he.The Kyosho diffs will probably not cope with the torque from an 22 ccm-> engine,well,maybe the 22 but not the larger ones.I'm using plastic gears from FG,on a testrun I had with the earlier 36 ccm engine I had in it I stripped the pinion and maingear!:D I'm using solid rear axle w/out diff btw..

Giorgos_cupra 06-30-2008 06:56 PM

It is going o be an on road car.With 4 front kart wheels,if it's not overkill.It is going to be chain driven and rear whel drive.

Foxy,thanks for the info!Nice to see a fellow from Greece.I don't live in Athens.I live in a town 200km away from Athens.But i come to Athens every 2 weeks.I think zenoah is a little out of my budget for just the engine.Well if it is brand new.Maybe a used one in good condition would be perfect.I'm going to a friend of mine tomorrow who ownes a shop which has many motors to check them out.Would it be to heavy a 40cc motor?Foxy you have pm;)

Lars do you have any pics from your rc?I would like to see it

naynay12 06-30-2008 08:39 PM

Lol alot oif poeople are making these cars,and my title of my thread is badically the same lol,check out my thread also...The engine has to have an internal clutch,and try not to get an engine to big if you dont already know.You can use pocket bike sprockets and chain to connect the engine to the diff,the way im doing it(alot of people will not recomend it though,is im connecting the engine with a coupling/shaft to the hpi 2 speed,then that goes to the diff with a dogbone,though i would probably suggest using sprockets since you can later on change the ratio.
I may have said things that have already been said,since i have not looked through the whole thread...

Giorgos_cupra 07-01-2008 02:12 AM

Aaarg!!My friend was not at the shop,so i'm kinda still in the darkness for the engine.What do you guys think about the kart wheels i have mentioned above?

Foxy 07-01-2008 02:16 AM

Don't worry about the engine, I'll lend you one that will get you started. That is the least of your problems right now.

If you put kart wheels, you will NEED a tonegawa servo to turn them. And there's no way that's in your budget right now. Concentrate on the chassis and drivetrain and mount an engine, and then we'll see about the rest. I'm interested in helping you with this. ;)

PS. Yes, forget about those Kyosho diffs. In fact, I wouldn't bother with a diff at all (at least at the start) if you're going for an on-roader.

Giorgos_cupra 07-01-2008 04:02 AM

UPDATE:

I found my friend,went to his shop,and pretty much we found mm,nothing:).So i m going to use a zenoah engine,or the engine Foxy is lending me(Thank you Fox,you are the man!I'm sending you a pm).As for the wheels...If i cant use cart wheels what am i going to use?I need something big enough for the 1meter chassis.1/5 wheels seems to small to me.Also,i cant use off road wheels.Any other options?

I'm going tomorrow morning to buy some designing paper to make the final blue print.But first i need to find what wheels i'm going to use because i need the measurements.The chassis right now,is 1 meter length,535mm front wheelbase and 565 back

Foxy 07-01-2008 04:38 AM

You mean 535mm/565mm track width!!!??!!?

That's WAY too wide. Wheelbase (centre of front axle to center of rear axle) should be 535, that's a good call. Track width needs to be around the 400mm mark front and rear, if you want to be able to fit existing on-road bodies (I STRONGLY suggest you do this, as fabricating your own body is utterly impossible with the budget you are talking about).

For wheel size (diameter), like I said in the PM, imagine 165-175mm, for purposes of gearing. Again, I have on road wheels and tires at that diameter you can borrow for testing. In order to minimise your parts difficulties, try very hard to stick to stock on-road dimensions, you will be very pleased you did. That means chassis length about 900mm, wheelbase 535mm, track width about 400mm. these dimensions will also help you keep the weight down. We should meet up so I can show you some things next time you are in Athens.

Giorgos_cupra 07-01-2008 05:07 AM

Foxy you are the man!Thanks for the dimensions!You saved me much time and effort,because tomorrow i will be doing the final chassis design!So,i'll make it 535 wheelbase,900mm in length and 400 track?I think i should make it a little wider on the back because it's rear wheel drive.Anyway...I designed the front steering system and sourced all the parts needed.I have them in petrol right now cleaning themselves.When they will be clear and ready i'll post a pic.I made it as simple as i could and tried to have as less friction as possible...

Foxy 07-01-2008 05:11 AM

If you want the back wider, don't go over 410mm, or the rear tires will stick out the side of the body a lot. Which might look pretty cool, actually. [&:]

I suggest you stick to the same track width front and rear, and just get wider tires for better rear grip.

PS. 900mm length includes the BODY. ;)

wan6176 07-01-2008 06:33 AM

mine im using 670mm x 250mm.im using giga crusher diff n 23cc cy engine. iahve posted my pic on the other forum too like naynay12 forum homemade rc