RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Something a bit bigger on the way...BIGGEST RC CAR EVER? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/8088418-something-bit-bigger-way-biggest-rc-car-ever.html)

REFLEXX 10-27-2008 02:56 AM

Something a bit bigger on the way...BIGGEST RC CAR EVER?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all.

A little something our company is working on. Some specs: 33" wheel base, 5" suspension travel, hybrid gas/electric drive system, Wifi/PC control, FPV VR goggles, and more.

To give a better idea of scale, our chassis is next to a 1/10th scale RC car.

We will be premiering this product at the Robo Development show in Mid-October. More details soon.....

sheograth 10-27-2008 04:14 AM

RE: Something a bit bigger on the way...

Looks good, can't wait to see more.

savagedriver01 10-27-2008 07:32 AM

WOW!!! looks like a beast[:-] can't wait to see more pics or video of it

Soloratov 10-27-2008 05:33 PM

very nice! a hybrid as well.......thats just impressive. May I ask, what tires are those? Look like ones I am trying to find. Are they turf savers?

REFLEXX 10-27-2008 07:41 PM

15x6-6 Turf Savers.

bentley marshall 10-27-2008 08:11 PM

mmm is it just me or have you mabe the pic blury ??

sheograth 10-27-2008 08:17 PM

Maybe we're not supposed to make out the drive components :D[&:]

bentley marshall 10-27-2008 08:40 PM

yeah i think thats it ....... i can see the 1/10 car fine

Sprint2Drift 10-27-2008 08:58 PM

It was blurred on purpose you can see tire details and 1.10 fine that likes to me like a 1/3 or 1/2?

REFLEXX 10-27-2008 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Yes that pic is blurred on purpose, until all the systems are developed, we need some discretion. The actual "scale" is hard to determine. If it wears an APC (armored personel carrier) the scale is around 1/4th. If it's a "jeep" body the scale is much bigger. The main use of these vehicles will be for UGVs (unmanned ground vehicle) research. But we also have many other markets (uses) that we are developing.

The wheelbase is 35" now the tires are 14.5" tall. one of the pictures below is the "test mule." It started life as small Quad(atv) but has morphed into much more than that. We're ending up just using some of the suspension and engine.

Here are some pics of a (very rough) cardboard mock-up from a year ago and a real APC. One of projects is for a robotic warfare competition. Not like Robo-wars, where metal boxes smash each other up. But more like real mechanized warfare between "tele-operated / robotic" vehicles. Operators of these vehicles don't stand around and watch from a podium, they are actually sitting at a control station (laptop or VR goggles & gamepad) and seeing what the driver of the vehicle would see. Their vehicles would be out on a 10 acre "battlefield." Paintball guns and lasers would be the choice weapons. Real mechanized robotic warfare, just 1/4th scale.

We will try to make these vehicles as open source (hackable) as possible and invite everyone to participate. We're diligently working on our website and forums. Not much here yet, but keep checking back:

[link=http://www.ReflexxRobotics.com]www.ReflexxRobotics.com[/link]
[link=http://www.ReflexxRobotics.com/forum]www.ReflexxRobotics.com/forum[/link]

Dr.ArmoMaxx 10-28-2008 12:54 AM

Wow...does the engine shift in the gears and the whole 9 yards? And i'm guessing it is the Auto clutch version of the engine.

Possible we could get more pictures?

REFLEXX 10-28-2008 01:13 AM

In the prototype, the engine ran the rear wheels. It is an auto-clutch / 2 speed and hit close to 30 miles per hour.

In the production version (very first pic) it is a hybrid. The 110cc engine now powers an alternator that charges 24v batteries. The rear wheels are driven by 1hp+ electric motor. This has many advantages, such as: reverse (full speed reverse for rear wheel drive applications), better slow speed "crawling", better speed control, stealth operation, etc... We're not sure of top speed yet, but we might limit it somewhat.

Purchaser of one of these will have to sign a release of liability. It's not a kid's toy.:D

More pics? Depends on what. I'll put up a video of our first tests very soon. You'll get a good idea of how "little" it is.

sheograth 10-28-2008 02:22 AM

Sweet, nice to see some more information. Are you focusing on autonomous units with sensor packages? If so are you also pursuing a straight up R/C off roader?

REFLEXX 10-28-2008 02:57 AM

There will be quite a few versions, from regular RC to Wifi/PC to GPS path to Autonomous.

At first we are making a "platform" for anyone to use. A flat top that allows mounting of the instruments / sensors they choose. The chassis is turn-key. The throttle / steering / brakes is all ready to go. Nobody has to re-invent the "wheels."

There are about a dozen "variants" on the drawing board right now. Some very different from the others.

WhiteWolf McBride 10-28-2008 02:58 AM

Finally...

Now if you could get into the hybrid powerplant business for R/C's, many many people would love you.

WHY? Because Electric has the fine tuning that gas does not, but gas, above anything small scale, has the longer run-time. I'd kill for a small gas-electric plant to drop into my 52" Dumas 'American Enterprise'.

Its also a great idea because the fuel engine can be run at its peak efficiengy to operate the generator, and any excess charge at system idle charges the batteries.

I emphasize it as for '' R/C " use, as most of the current comercial gennies are MUCH too big, and output 110/120 or 220/240 volt, depending on sales area. I'm thinking 6v/12v/18v/24v options. A 40-size glow (or equivalent 2 stroke or diesel) unit running an alternator with single 'storage' battery would be just the ticket, I think. Then a custom fuel/ballast bladder (as the fuel is pumped out, the other side of the tank-membrane pulls ballast water in - or perhaps overflow from the electric motor cooling assy)

Have you guys thought of a optional 'control-leash', something like a PDA/laptop on a lead for control, like the old M274 'Mule' had the flip-over steering column? Be a step in the remote evolution, and a VERY GOOD backup/troubleshooting/maintenance asset.

sheograth 10-28-2008 03:05 AM

Sounds great, keep us updated. I like the idea of a multi purpose large scale off road chassis.

EDIT:

Any ballpark estimates on pricing for a barebones chassis with no electronics, but a working drive system?

REFLEXX 10-28-2008 03:20 AM

OK, one last response. I need sleep.

Whitewolf,
You're absolutely correct about why we went hybrid. #1 control over throttle, #2 reverse, #3 the energy in a gallon of gas FAR exceeds that found in the best batteries. #4 Not to forget that recharge time is seconds (fill the tank), not hours.

We'll let you develop a miniature system for RC. Our hands are very full right now. But that's why I want to develop our forums. Not to take away from RCU or anyone else, but to be a niche for our products and related ideas. So, once they are up and running, post up your thoughts and see what others think.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were in on our meetings. We are working on a "plug-in tether with a gamepad" for "manually driving around" and a (smaller) version of a MULE. With a few modern twists, of course! Can't say much else about that project.

Sheograth,
At this point we will start with Turn-key Systems. But once the demand is there, we might offer everything individually. We really believe in the open-source model. We want people to hack-n-mod our product. All we ask is that you share what you've done, so we can keep perfecting it!

But if the military shows up and hands us wads of cash, well then we're off to the Bahamas! :D

caragan1970 10-28-2008 04:10 PM

That setup would nice to model this beast!!! Just Add 2 more road wheels

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1970/10990.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1970/10991.jpg

REFLEXX 10-30-2008 12:53 AM

RE: Something a bit bigger on the way...BIGGEST RC CAR EVER?

Caragan,

When we get our Scale Wargames idea off the ground, you could build that. But it would have four wheels instead of six.

Did I mention we are also working on a Paintball mini-gun turret and impact sensors on the body. Then a small smoke grenade. So when your vehicle is hit, it becomes immobile and starts smokin. Then there are the "tank rescue" versions of the vehicles that can come and tow your "tank" back to your base for "repairs." There's a whole world to this project.

It would be this: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dRguhF8nX4]YOU TUBE - FRONTLINE TANK GAME[/link]

BUT REAL!!!

chaseman97 10-30-2008 01:03 AM

Wow what a great idea! I know me and a few friends will be interested in buying one! When, where and how much? I'm sure we will easily be able to afford one to have fun with on the weekends!!!! Looks awesome, Can't wait to see more, and get my hands on one!!!!:D

Mr Terminator 10-30-2008 01:19 AM

Nice and refreshing to see but not my cup of tea.The engineering and mod work is great but as for playing with one its a no no for me.As far as militaria goes,I like the 1/16 tanks and do frequent the Tank forum but this is a little bit too big for me.Great idea though guys and it will do well in my opinion,I will however stick with 1/5th scale for gassers...:)

REFLEXX 10-30-2008 01:38 AM

MR T.

Then in your case it would be a lightweight (gas only) chassis with a stadium truck body? Our gas prototype could hit 25mph, but is hard to control. We are taking out to the dunes for testing this weekend and will bring back some video.

The main idea is still to be "open source." Do what YOU want with them.

bsrman14 10-30-2008 08:51 AM

Sorry to say but your scale isn't the biggest. 1:1 is the biggest. Next is 1/2: 1 then 1/3:1.:D

REFLEXX 10-30-2008 09:57 AM

Bsrman14,

We're working on that! I'd like a 1:1, so when my daughter is driving, I still have control from the passenger seat!

Technically, we're after Biggest "Commercially Available" Remote Controlled Vehicle.

Dave ESPI 10-30-2008 03:46 PM

"limit top end?"

BOOOOOOOO [:o]