RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Nutech or Rampage? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/9567289-nutech-rampage.html)

No Moa 03-09-2010 12:37 PM

Nutech or Rampage?

Just as it says, i can't decide. I've had FG, MCD, smartech, time for a change. I worry about the Redcat as i just bought some of their small 1/24 scale and my buddies got a 1/10 car, and they are, well i'll leave it at that. But i found a guy selling the redcats brand new cheap.

Thanks

jigawatt 03-09-2010 12:39 PM

RE: Nutech or Rampage?

I'd say nutech if you want all the bling and performance.

fastlane01 03-09-2010 12:44 PM

Rampage TT all of the way. Rampage has it's own forum and a few members custom make parts for them. I say the tt because it is what I own and I love it.

No Moa 03-09-2010 12:54 PM

I'm a member of the forum, but needed a place to ask about the differences and opinions with out getting in trouble.

jigawatt 03-09-2010 01:13 PM

well, you stated before you had/have smartech...

You'd be surprised how strikingly similar one another are between Smartech and Nutech. Take a peek at the Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt2.

Sherv 03-09-2010 01:20 PM

you get what you pay for and the nutech is more expensive. But it is also the better vehicle but that doesnt mean the Rampage is bad. It's just better while the rampage is a good cheaper alternative. The rampage also needs more work to get it reliable such as tempering the diff cups and so on. I have been torn on this issue as well but in the end I think I will end up with a baja ss kit and save money. I have the electrics and I can get the SS kit for 800 shipped and local hobby shops stock parts for it. I want security/long term investment and HPI beats them all in that area. Sadly there are far more superior vehicles to a baja :P
What I really want is an MCD Baja 1000 but part availability is bad.. then again almost any model is bad compared to the Baja/Hpi. I cant stand waiting for parts... unless they are upgrades. Break fix work/parts i need them immediately.

No Moa 03-09-2010 01:24 PM

I have a baja ss already, built by largescale rc, by far they have been the best I've delt with in terms of customer service. I bought it 2 years ago, 28.5 jet pro pipe, alloy shock tower, zieke racing body, never started it. I was also thinging of just vying the 5t kit and making it a 5t to get that truck look. I really dot need 4x4.

cheezer1222 03-09-2010 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Sherv

The rampage also needs more work to get it reliable such as tempering the diff cups and so on.

The rampage does need a bit of work, but tempering the diff cups is really only necessary if you're gonna drop in a pretty big power plant. I bought a v1 rampage a while back, had no problems with diff cups until I put on a 30.5cc head kit with a stuffed crank. My first jump I broke one of the (original) cups. I went to the workbench, tore it apart, applied all the upgrades from the upgrade kit (all upgrades are already applied in the new versions of the rampage), threw on some cup savers, and have not broken a cup since. The rampage is a great vehicle, definitely not perfect, but for the price you pay I would expect some imperfections. Most problems are remedied pretty easily and inexpensively, and like fastlane mentioned the redcat rampage forum has wealth of knowledge that will often times help you fix an issue without buying some sort of expensive product or replacement.

As far as the nutech vs rampage issue, I'm sure mooman will lend some advice to the subject and let you know the pros and cons of both vehicles.

clubin 03-09-2010 01:54 PM

Get the Nutech, awsome customer support and a top notch product. I have a Redcat MT and a Nutech MT. So I have compared them both, the Nutech is a little more money, but is good to go out of hte box. The RTR radio is also very good. It is 2.4ghz.

You will get honest opinions here.

roccos_van 03-09-2010 05:14 PM

I have a ramp; it's good for the money; you will have to address a few issues. Diff cups for sure if you upgrade your motor, and shock shafts. I also added metal gears, alloy gear plate and some braces for chassis flex. I originally purchased an MT V2 roller.

I've just ordered a Nutech MT so the ramp might not be sticking around much longer.

Bad boy Hobby 03-09-2010 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Sherv

you get what you pay for and the nutech is more expensive. But it is also the better vehicle but that doesnt mean the Rampage is bad. It's just better while the rampage is a good cheaper alternative. The rampage also needs more work to get it reliable such as tempering the diff cups and so on. I have been torn on this issue as well but in the end I think I will end up with a baja ss kit and save money. I have the electrics and I can get the SS kit for 800 shipped and local hobby shops stock parts for it. I want security/long term investment and HPI beats them all in that area. Sadly there are far more superior vehicles to a baja :P
What I really want is an MCD Baja 1000 but part availability is bad.. then again almost any model is bad compared to the Baja/Hpi. I cant stand waiting for parts... unless they are upgrades. Break fix work/parts i need them immediately.
Don't jump on me for answering this, I didn't completely read the whole thread, but I'd like to address one thing you said about part availability on the MCD's.....
I see your in MD, not sure you know this or not, but Large Scale RC is the USA Dsitributor for MCD, there located in IN, so I have to believe it's only a matter of 2 day shipping to you and they stock almost every part you would ever need for your MCD.
I can honestly say, out of all the large scale's I have owned and operated, in my opinion, there is no comparison in durability when it comes to MCD RC's.... No I don't sell them, so I'm not trying to plug an order out of anyone, this is just a fact.
The plastic material they use is of the highest quality, better then any FG or HPI plastic, the overall design is far superior then most in it's class, the Redcat does have some issues as already stated, but for the money, it's a great entry level large scale.

Now as for Nutech?? from what I've seen, the design looks good, it is a bit more expensive, but I can only comment on what I have read or saw, I have never worked on one or drove it, I think coming into this market, with it's new design, it should be a winner.
Last but not least, the all alloy version of the Rampage, is something I would stay away from, it's like putting a spoiler kit on a YUGO and selling it as if it was a cadilac.

The bottomline is, these 3 companies have something special for the market.. Entry level = Rampage , Everyday user = MCD , something new = Nutech

circa5angles 03-09-2010 11:48 PM

where can one buy a nutech right now? All I see is companies say they will be out soon. So are we only hearing good stuff from testers? What about non testers, the real public.

I'm sitting on the fence still on what to buy.

roccos_van 03-10-2010 02:27 AM

ORIGINAL: circa5angles

where can one buy a nutech right now? All I see is companies say they will be out soon. So are we only hearing good stuff from testers? What about non testers, the real public.

I'm sitting on the fence still on what to buy.
www.vancouverhobbies.com has both.

x Wild Bill x 03-10-2010 09:31 AM

^ Also, check out www.nutechracingforum.com You will find more owners over there. There is not a ton of people with them yet, as the first containers just arrived in the US and Canada. They also have a list of distributors and hopefully you will see how helpful and supporting Nutech is being with their new products.

Bill

Croozer 03-10-2010 11:10 AM

the Thunderbolt ll looks like a nice car.

nutechracingusa 03-10-2010 11:21 AM

Hello
We received word from our freight forwarder that our Nutech container has hit the US :D, we have a solid ETA of March 17th for it to arrive at our warehouse in WI, below is the list of models we have coming for our first order.

Mega MT 26cc, 2.4GHz, 4WD $999.99 RTR
Sand Storm 26cc, 2.4GHz, 4WD $899.99 RTR
THUNDERBOLT II 26cc, 2.4GHz, 4WD $899.99 RTR
GT5R 26cc, 2.4GHz, 2WD $1049.99 RTR

We have all the replacement parts coming with them and just placed another order for the alloy upgrades, new beetle bodies and some other goodies [8D]!!!! if you guys have any questions just let me know, we supply full tech support as well.

Thank You,
Scott
Zero Gravity RC

mooman007uk 03-10-2010 11:34 AM

USA and Canada will both have all the nutech stuff you need in a weeks time:D...i believe Vancouver hobbies container is sitting in Vancouver docks as i type and should clear by Friday...hope so cos i want some shiny bits:)

so speaking from experience as i own both i'd have to say the nutech is the better rc, lighter, faster and tougher. runs straight out the box with no pre run checklist to follow unlike the ramp....

the rampage is a good truck especially for the new price but you will still need to spend some bucks, whereas the nutech is $350 more but needs nothing and is a better platform, has a centre diff, huge shocks and a drivetrain that can take OBR full mod motors with out grenading...

clubin 03-10-2010 05:41 PM

Wow, looks like the Nutech's are coming.

dc2 man 03-10-2010 05:48 PM

WOW!

somebody wanted to start a war with a thread like this....:D

NUTECH ALL THE WAY>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>> ;)

Croozer 03-10-2010 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: zerogravityrc
Do they offer a Thunderbolt w/o the radio?

circa5angles 03-10-2010 07:22 PM

funny thing I just watched a video on you tube of the 2.4ghz radio glitching away like the old 27mhz am radio's of the days past.

nutechracingusa 03-10-2010 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Croozer

ORIGINAL: zerogravityrc
Do they offer a Thunderbolt w/o the radio?
Iwould be willing tosell one without a transmitter !!

Thank You,
Scott
Zero Gravity RC

x Wild Bill x 03-11-2010 08:37 AM

Scott, how much would you take off the price for one without a Tx/Rx?

Thanks,
Bill

mooman007uk 03-11-2010 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: circa5angles

funny thing I just watched a video on you tube of the 2.4ghz radio glitching away like the old 27mhz am radio's of the days past.

which 2.4 radio...there's a quite a few out there...do you have a link to vid as i can't find anything under 2.4 glitch other than the futaba/corona system?
incidentally the handsets look to come from the same vendor HPI use...the cases are identical and they are known to be decent radios

often it's not the handset but the servos, the servos that came with the rampage glitched like they had parkinson's running on my react...turned out it was the th/br servo causing all the problems...it was a throw away item from the get go

nutechracingusa 03-11-2010 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: x Wild Bill x

Scott, how much would you take off the price for one without a Tx/Rx?

Thanks,
Bill
PMsent http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Thank You,
Scott
Zero Gravity RC