RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Whats the best basher truck money can buy? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/9814645-whats-best-basher-truck-money-can-buy.html)

AlpineRoad 06-19-2010 11:32 PM

Whats the best basher truck money can buy?

best durability, best quality, best design, best handeling, money no object basher truck thats relatively easy to obtain and get parts for in the US? i prefer stadium truck but monster is ok too>

bentley marshall 06-19-2010 11:48 PM

RE: Whats the best basher truck money can buy?

nutech monsta truck SS or PRO

DIABLOTAC78 06-20-2010 02:26 AM

fg stadium truck, [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4640/.f[/link]

sheograth 06-20-2010 02:27 AM

FGs are good, as is the HPI Baja.

mooman007uk 06-20-2010 09:30 AM

2wd probably the 5t, 4wd the nutech MMT or fuego.
nothing is perfect and any rc will need a few tweaks and upgrades down the line but my nutech has proved to be extremely durable, handles well and is fast; I've abused the hell out of it, all it really needs are front cvd's and a rear CNC outer diff case or go for the extreme version that has all the alloy upgrade parts already.

Seems that even though there are quite a few different 1/5 rcs out there the short list is tiny...been looking to buy something else, had an FG...FH, 2 rampigs and a nutech....wanted a hurrax but after much research decided against it, and don't want an MCD or HPI...not much else to choose from that's any good[&o]

AlpineRoad 06-20-2010 06:16 PM

im new to large scale so i have been looking everywhere trying to educate myself and at one point was even trying to decide what kind of vehichle i liked.

i have decided im a truck guy so had to cross out the buggies even though i seriously considered the hpi 5b ss.

there's been word of a new large scale coming to market and im trying to decide if i should wait it out.

otherwise iv been looking at the Nutech, 5t, and MCD stuff.

AlpineRoad 06-20-2010 06:32 PM

mooman, why dont you like hpi or mcd?

DarkFire989 06-20-2010 07:00 PM

Nothing wrong with HPI. But MCD cars are really expensive. If I could get a new large scale right now it would be a FG Monster Truck. They can really take a beating. This is my friends FG MT. We go to Monster Jam events and put on shows.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQJGsM2l78[/youtube]

Sherv 06-20-2010 07:39 PM

MCD Rally cars are absolutely sick and so is the MCD Baja. But their MT isn't that popula. In fact MCD just isn't that popular here in the Americas and it's partially due to the fact that parts are harder to come by and VERY Expensive. I was looking at an MCD and was comparing costs to my nutech for parts ( i want an MCD real bad) and I almost **** my pants at the differences.
Go nutech! So far I have had many bolts snap (can't explain why) like one engine mount bolt, one clutch/gear mount bolt, and just one a-arm because I hit a stop sign at full throttle. I have to say the tires are not that impressive on the nutech but they are cheap compared to other companies. These tires are too soft and the sidewall stretches to much, one of my tires ripped the sidewall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCi3lli61E

clubin 06-20-2010 08:00 PM

Out of all the 5th scale models my HPI 5 b and t are by far the most durable. I would suggest a HPI 5 of course. lol

AlpineRoad 06-20-2010 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: clubin

Out of all the 5th scale models my HPI 5 b and t are by far the most durable. I would suggest a HPI 5 of course. lol
thats says a lot from someone who owns one of each.

regarding the FG, i have read reviews slamming their design. one of them is that guy squirrel who says parts support and their MT design sux. one thing he points out is the exposed gears and basically says he will not purchase another. he also gives redcat good reviews when so many others dont l;ike them so i dont know what to think.

the only moster truck that has the agility i like is the Nutech MT. it seems to drive like a trophy truck but with the brawn of an MT.

HPI needs to offer the 5t in a roller or kit and id probably take the plunge. might take the plunge with the 5t anyways if something else doesnt materalize or if i get the nutech.

i will probably break whatever i get eventually so im looking for good parts support as well as a solid vehichle.

clubin 06-20-2010 08:31 PM

I like my FG, it is also very tough. It would be a second behind my HPI's. I like the FG design, it is simple, little tough to work on. But my FG never breaks. LOL

Go for a T, you will not regret it. Or better yet, there are always a few in the classifieds. Don't let a used one scare you.

I'd sell you my Nutech MT, but you are way to far away..

AlpineRoad 06-20-2010 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: clubin

I like my FG, it is also very tough. It would be a second behind my HPI's. I like the FG design, it is simple, little tough to work on. But my FG never breaks. LOL

Go for a T, you will not regret it. Or better yet, there are always a few in the classifieds. Don't let a used one scare you.

I'd sell you my Nutech MT, but you are way to far away..
thanks for the advice. im looking for new only but might consider a superbly modified example. still waiting for mr moo to chime in and say why he would not consider mcd/hpi

mooman007uk 06-20-2010 10:26 PM

ok my 2 cents...i don't like the 5b cos it's built for dunes...it's a sand rail after all and it's 2wd..I don't like the 5t...first cos it's 2wd and 2nd i've driven one and don't care for it (that's me though...just not my cup of tea)...had a 2wd fg baja, spent about 3k on it and parted it out...awesome buggy and would smoke 5b's I ran with but belongs on a track and always seemed the parts i needed were always out of stock in N.America and they're not cheap to upgrade...MCD parts are super expensive and the stock planetary diffs are as weak as the rampage diff cups[X(]...i know 3 people who had MCD's and 3 people who got sick of them breaking all the time and 2 sold and one has his sitting on a shelf un run for about 2 yrs. had 2 rampigs and still have one that's totally sorted but was a lot of work to get it so...quality is low but it's fun. so far the nuey has required the least work and has been the easiest to get up to par, also cheap to do... quality is good, handles well, 4wd, light and fast...can also take some big abuse:D of course this is only my opinion, i prefer 4wd so HPI is out, I like parts to be readily avaliable and not need a bank loan for them and like an rc that takes a lot to break it.

cheezer1222 06-20-2010 10:49 PM

mooman, what pipe do you run on your nutech? Is it jetpro, or do you have something else rigged up?

badboy2 06-21-2010 12:37 AM

if u like 4wd and on a budget id go with rampage..before i gave it to my bro,i drove it more than my hpi's..i like my hpi's too but like mooman said it depends on your taste..like u i am confused until now i like 2wd too but 4wd was fun to drive too hehehe..now all i have is my fg and 3 hpi;s so i might get a nutech as my 4wd mt.just buy what u think u want to buy now then buy the others later on!

which truck made u think of getting a 5th scale??in my case it was the 5t .so i bought 5t and then got the others in 1 year..

huw4027 06-21-2010 08:39 AM

Ok guys....currently have a 5T, MCD Baja & Fg Sportline Cat Race Truck. I used to have a FG Stadium Truck and 5B which i sold.
The most reliable one for me has been the 5T/5B because they rarely break parts. I had nothing but problems with the Fg Stadium
truck and the MCD Baja has had many issues in fact it has been parked for awhile but however 4wd in my opinion is much nicer.
My advice is to get your feet wet in largescale with the "5T "[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

huw4027 06-21-2010 08:40 AM

Ok guys....currently have a 5T, MCD Baja & Fg Sportline Cat Race Truck. I used to have a FG Stadium Truck and 5B which i sold.
The most reliable one for me has been the 5T/5B because they rarely break parts and parts availabilty and also hop-ups is great. I had nothing but problems with the Fg Stadium truck and the MCD Baja has had many issues in fact it has been parked for awhile but however 4wd in my opinion is much nicer.
My advice is to get your feet wet in largescale with the "5T "[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

mooman007uk 06-21-2010 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

mooman, what pipe do you run on your nutech? Is it jetpro, or do you have something else rigged up?

I got a 5B side VRC propipe...bolts straight on...all you need to do is make a front mount for it

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...k/DSC01014.jpg
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...k/DSC01017.jpg

EGRUNE 06-21-2010 12:18 PM

Loved my HPI Savage!!!!

AlpineRoad 06-21-2010 06:12 PM

hmmm, comments seem to indicate the hpi is very durable but may not be as fun as some others perhaps because of a lack of 4wd.

i was on the fence about mcd mainly because of parts availability but moo's comments have got me off the fence so the short list is very short indeed.

from my 8th scale on road days, i know 4wd is much more fun and controllable than 2wd. if that correlates directly to 5th scale off road, i may have to skip the 5t.

back to research.

cheezer1222 06-21-2010 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

I got a 5B side VRC propipe...bolts straight on...all you need to do is make a front mount for it

That's awesome. With all the good things I've been hearing about nutech cars and trucks, I was thinking I might give one a shot. Maybe sell the rampage. Who knows.

Are those bottle caps on your body posts? I'm guessing those are to keep the posts from pushing through the body in the event of a rollover, correct?

bentley marshall 06-21-2010 10:43 PM

Are those bottle caps on your body posts? I'm guessing those are to keep the posts from pushing through the body in the event of a rollover, correct?
yep thats what they are for becouse moo spends a lot of time up side down:D:D:)

Dr.Stan 06-22-2010 02:35 AM

As for me the best car for bashing is mcd mt ultimate. If something more cheaper i will recommend mcd v4 monster, but only V4 version. Evo 3 is not very durable car, v4 is much better. As i understand mcd do not have v4 baja yet

Obeast44 06-22-2010 07:35 AM

I think this one is personally, but I am a little biased :D
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/pi...&pictureid=807

Its as bulletproof as they can be with a Chrome-moly cage, Moomans cups and all kinds of other goodies.
@Mooman: Those cups are holding strong against my OBR full mod 30.5 Zen 4 bolt.

EDIT: Its for sale too btw :D
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=3923