Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

A BIG kid at heart

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Harken
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A BIG kid at heart

Okay guys I need an opinion. I am emotionally torn in this predicament.

First, I have a $3000.00 VARIO Benzin Trainer. For those who arent familiar with helicopters, its a gasser with a Zenoa engine.
Its a hell of a challenge to learn to fly as a matter of fact Im only hovering right now but WILL master this damn thing sooner or later despite 2 crashes so far amounting to $350.00 per crash.
Yeah its expensive but what fun isnt? Stamp collecting? BORRRING!

Second, I have a Multiplex ASH26 in the box that I have only peaked at in admiration. I will get to building it one day. So far I have 6 Volz servos ready to go into the wings and a synthesized receiver ready to go into this airplane. I plan on using the Hi-tec digitals for the rudder, elevator and landing gear/tow hook release.

I do love sailplanes since I was a teenager some 25 years ago. My last sailplane was a 4.7 Meter SB10. It was AWSOME hearing it fly by and her graceful move throught the air was like poetry. I expect the same or better performance from my ASH26 (4 Meter).

Now my dilema. I happen to love the Multiplex Alpina. I saw one do a roll one day some 20 years ago and loved the way it moved through the air. I had a real hard time deciding wich to buy initially, the ASH or the Alpina. I decided on the ASH because I got a killer deal on it. Now I have found that the Alpina "Master" edition has been discontinued which appears to be much higher quality than the standard. I found one in Germany and with shipping will cost about $550.00. I am so tempted to order it.

Yeah I know the first question you guys might ask is, why do you need BOTH. Or why not build the one you have?

Well its a love of the asthetics I guess. Maybe part of it is the limited supply of the "Master" edition? Maybe its just the kid in me wanting ALL the toys I can get? As if I dont have enough already. I'm not spoiled! I'm not! I'm not! Really I'm not! :greedy: :spinnyeye
Old 08-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Default My two cents....

IMHO you should do the following:

Sell that heli (if it ain't got wings, it..well, you know!)

Take the money from the heli sale and buy the "Master" Alpina.

Use what is left to get a NICE tow plane for the big birds!
Sounds simple to me!

And of course, if any funds are left over, you could get a standard Alpina for the nice, super, "love to fly sailplanes" person who gave you all this free advice!

Have a nice weekend!
Pud
Old 08-02-2003, 03:23 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to dissagree with Pud. I have gliders, helis, planes, you name it! I have over 50 planes and helis right now. Get the thing now, you don't have to build it right away! I have always bought what I wanted, and the theory of get it because you don't live forever just hit home very hard again tonight. I am 37, and on the way out of town heading to the lake, a guy on a bike that was the same age as me swerved for some reason hitting a car, falling over and getting run over by a semi.

Don't wait put off for tomorrow what you can get today. If you can afford it, get it! Play hard, Have fun and be happy!!!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 AM
R. Carver

Default Re: A BIG kid at heart

Originally posted by Harken
Yeah I know the first question you guys might ask is, why do you need BOTH. Or why not build the one you have?
Actually, I think most would wonder why you have ONLY two

And if I were you I'd put the big heli away and get a sim to practice with. Much cheaper in the long run.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:06 AM
KJohn

I would encourage you to buy what you want and if you later decide you really do not want it then sell it. If you pass an opportunity to purchase a rather rare kit then you might not get a second chance.

Years ago I wanted a specific sailplane but never committed to buying it. Here I am 20 years later, the kit is out of production and I still feel I have to have one of those kits (it is like 'unfinished business'). I am attempting to scratch build one so I can get it out of my system. Now the effort I have put into designing it in CAD and then the effort I will put into cutting the foam wing cores and making the fiberglass fuselage will be WAY, WAY over the cost of the original kit so I am really loosing time AND money just to get it out of my system once and for all. Looking back it would have been SO much better if I had just purchased the plane (at any cost) and 'been done with it'. I would have saved all the time and money I am spending now.

So buy it first, decide later if you want to keep it, sell it if you decide you do not want it.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Harken
My Feedback: (1)

Keith,

WOW, finally some one who thinks like I do. Your the only one so far that has made sense. Yeah, "unfinished business" is a great way to state it. I once had a Colt model 1911 .45 cal and sold it when I was in my mid 20's. I kicked myself ever since. You cant even find those anymore. Sure there are similar ones but different editions. Imagine what it would be worth today?
What did I do? I researched and bought a Para Ordinance S1445. All stainless, true double action and "limited edition". It will be an heirloome. (spelling?) What a tool? If your into firearms, check it out and dont miss the opportunity to get one of the if not THE finest 1911 style ever available. Surely to be more than a collectors item.

Back to the Alpina. I checked with the hobby shop in Germany and he does have one in stock for about $480 US plus $70 shipping to California.

Now all I have to do is get my girlfriend to not give me a hard time. :idea: