Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

aelerons for gliders

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aelerons for gliders

has anyone seen the lat control hinges in the easy flyer glider, servo is inside the wing at the fuselage and the control hinge in wing is flat it looks like a lever hinge with arm inside the wing

bob
Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
joeskeeter
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aelerons for gliders

I'd like to install ailerons in an existing wing on the old Graupner.
I think there is an add on called a spoiler, that might be like an aileron.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
BMatthews

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Spoilers and ailerons are two different things.  Although outboard mounted spoilers have been used on some aircraft for roll control.  But it's extremely rare to see them used that way on model airplanes.  In particular on gliders since spoilers induce a lot of drag even for small deflection angles while ailerons induce camber and angle of attack changes that cost less for drag.

Goldenknight, A picture of what you're talking about would help us out.

Some years back there was a hinge and control link available that would activate a control surface without any external control horns.  It involved a 45 degree dogleg torque rod sitting in a flat box cavity that fit into the control surface.  If this is what you meant I have not seen them advertised for some years now.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aileron servos in my Easy Glider are conventional.. laying flat in the wing out at the aileron location, with a pushrod to a horn on the bottom of the aileron.
I've used this type of direct drive for rudders, and ailerons.
The bent end has to be in a pocket in the aileron that won't be eroded by the motion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69759.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1534937  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: goldenknight1

has anyone seen the lat control hinges in the easy flyer glider, servo is inside the wing at the fuselage and the control hinge in wing is flat it looks like a lever hinge with arm inside the wing

bob

I have seen this type of hinge on several RTF gliders out of Hobbyking. Seem to be quite irregular as to whether they work well or not. I had two with those kinds of hinges and they did not work well at all. But that may have been how they were installed.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The style of hinge and activator all in one of this sort must have excellent close but not draggy tight tolerances.  Any slop or misalignment at all and the whole thing turns into garbage in a hurry.