Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking for Austin Texas slopes??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for Austin Texas slopes??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Austin Texas slopes??

I just moved here and the nearest slope on the north side of austin is Georgetown dam.. It's a bit of driving and a bit of walking which I'd hate to pack and do all the walking...

I took a look at Pflugerville dam and it's not that great.. Winds are hardly ever at the right direction for that dam..

Anyway,, is anyone out there in Austin flying North to North West winds? I have slopers just sitting around waiting to fly and I hate to see my planes just sit there!

Lemme know!!!
Thanks
-Tim
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Austin Texas slopes??

I asked around and all I was told about was a school at Far West Blvd and Hart Ln. I went to look at it and there is a slope at the back of the athletic field. Wind has to be from the SE and it really doesn't look like much but people say that even hang gliders use it to learn on...

I never really found a good place.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Tomi

I used to fly there.. Murchinson is the name of it... Actually I did fly there this summer with my NCFM Halfpipe 48". I've flown numorous types of planes there also.. But I'm looking for good lift areas. I don't know where to go! There's tons of places in the Lakeway area but It's pretty far from where I live. I don't have a light wind sloper either.

I'm looking into buying a couple of more slope planes but 2-3meter span. So I hope someone, or I will eventually find a place here to fly.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Fxrs_tim

Welcome to the land of the slope-deprived.... We used to fly from Mansfield Dam prior to 9-11, but it's closed now. It was good on a SE wind (fly over the river below dam), or on a N or NW (fly out over water). Several of us even started DSing on the back side back in the day. Georgetown dam is probably the best place close by. We also used to fly from the dam down at Canyon Lake, but I don't know if that's still possible.

Your best bet is to pack up the planes and head out toward San Angelo and slope from some of the mesas out in that area. If you're really adventurous, head further west and check out Guadalupe Peak - it routinely gets winds in the 70+ range in the spring. I've sloped some lead sleds out there a couple of times and had a blast.

I've heard of ppl sloping a rock quarry on the north side of San Antonio, outside of the loop. I don't know the exact location, but you should be able to find it.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Tomi

I've flown all of those places over the years.. I grew up in San Angelo.. The only place I was able to slope was te soccer field on Glenna.. Actually maiden my aeromod miraj there on due east winds and it was rockin! But that was only once.. There was hardly any east winds unless a storm shows up..

Since I've moved here to Austin the only place I have been flying was murchison. But my plane needs bigger lift..

Hopefully a spot will show up in lakeway.. Tons of hills over there..