Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

st dg 1000

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
tlar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st dg 1000

Anyone fly one of these. Cannot make up my mind between the DG 1000 and Radion PRO.

I have a 72MHZ 6 channel and a 5 channel 2.4 MHZ (Airtronics)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: st dg 1000

Get the Radian! Got 2 of the old Radians 1 for daylight one for nightime. Awesome airplane! I have 12 RC plane including a 50cc Comp ARF Yak-54 running a DA 50cc gasoline engine. My Radians are my favs!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 AM
tlar

opwan:

Do you fly them as power aircraft or sailplanes. I am looking for good thermal performance.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
opwan

The Radian will do BOTH! You can fly till you're sick of it on a 2200ma battery pack. I have stayed up for an hour and a half with good thermals, just got tired of looking up. The Radian is an excellent thermal machine and an aerobatic 3 channel wonder. Inverted fight, loops, stall turns you name it. It will not climb out of site but vertical performance is good at about a 70 degree climb. Or you can slow it down to about 4 miles and hour and cruise 3 feet off the ground. I honestly think the Radian is the best kept secret going. This plane is so much fun. I always glue my stab and wings in place which doesn't work for some people due to transporting, but I have a big pick-up truck with a camper on it. If you get one be sure and put lights on it as I have, flying at 10:00 at night is a blast and not that hard with this self correcting plane. My 19 year old son flew this plane and landed it perfectly with no RC experience the first time with me standing beside him of course. I get my lights from this super nice guy, they are the brightest on the [email protected]... His name is David and he is a swell guy that cares about his product. He can buid your light exactly how you want them. I have 2 landing lights on the inner wing, 1 red tip, 1 green tip, and 2 strobes on the rudder. One top and bottom for better visual when flying away from yourself. All can be turned on or off at the transmitter. He charges $40 for this special set-up I had him design for me, but his light kits start at $20. Go ahead and get the "custom kit that I got, the extra stobe on the bottom of the rudder really helps. Dude I serious the Radian looks like a Boing 747 with the lights on it. I have stopped traffic in front of my house several times flying at night. If you lose it just turn loose of the sticks and it will level it's self. It doesn't happen alot but when I'm laughing at the people getting out of their cars to try to figure out what the hell is up there I tend to lose it sometimes. The LED's are so bright my range at night is almost the same as broad daylight! Everyone that's seen me fly it wants one, they cant beleive it does what it does! For the money it's hard to beat. It;s not tempemental upon landing like soo many other thermal nervous breakdown sailplanes. I had a Bird of Time that I electricfied myself with an E-flite 32 size outrunner , outstanding thermel sailpane but what a mutha to get back on the ground. White knuckles every time. SOLD IT! The Bird of Time probably wouldn't be bad with spoilers installed. I may do another some day with this mod. Do yourself a favor, get the Radian and contact David and get some lights ordered, I guarantee it will be the most fun you've ever had. By the way, I am not a Parkzone sales rep. I may put ailerons in mine next spring. TRUST ME GET THE RADIAN! Then wright me back about the smile it put on your face! Build to airtime is about 30minutes, Get the old Radian first if you plane on night flying, it is a little more forgiving if you lose it behind the moon. :~) I will eventuall go the Radian Pro route myself but I don't think the thermal performance will be as good. Thanks, Jeff RADIANS RULE
Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 AM
tlar

I only have one shot at a Radion or DG1000 so I figured the Pro which is already set up for ailerons. The dihederal is different on the "OLD" Radianand ailerons may or may not work out. My brother in law has the 3 channel version I will ask him about the ailerons. He is a very seious contest flyer he bought his for a contest. I have read that the Pro has a stronger wing.

About lights...I am not allowed out after dark (I am 64)..Really I work nights so night flying is not in the stars (no pun intended) for me. But I imagine its a blast.

Do you have any reason to think it wont thermal as well?

I do also know it wont be as forgiving as the 3 channel.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM
opwan

No I don't think the Pro will thermal as well as the "old" Radian. One reason is the Pro has alot more weight because it has 4 more servos. This doesn't sound like much but it will make a difference. I use a flycam one which is a video recorder which is less than the weight of 4 servos and I can tell a huge difference in thermaling with the added weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Pro is a great sailplane also but I have seen it fly and it just doesn't have the same thermaling capibilities as the old Radian. It all just boils down to what you want I guess. The old Radian is very suprising what you can do with it, I have to admitt the flap and crow features of the Pro would be nice though. The old Radian will land at a walk pace though so I really don't see that much of a need for them. I don't know your flying experience but a 3 channel will be easier if you're a newbie. As far a the wing strength, I find that hard to belive that the Pro is stronger, both have a carbon spar. I have pulled mine out of a staright down high speed dive with full up elevator and the wings flex but don't break. Of course I glue my wings in to the fuse and glue the wing tube in place with CA because I have no mercy on this plane. I don't think you can break it from high G's trust me! I put as much throw as the control surfaces allow and use 50% expo on rudder and elevator. Parkzone is hard to beat for a foamie. If you want speed, try a Stryker, 80mph rocket that flys like it's on rails and lands at about 5 mph. It's just what ever you want I guess. I may end up getting the Pro down the road but I will allways love the old one. I've had 2 oldies, lost the 1st one to a tree due to a brown-out from staying up too long. Stupid on my part, stayed up for an hour and a half on a good thermal day and didn't want to come down. Strected it a little far that day. Tried to get it down for 3 days, went back on the 4th day and someone helped their self to my plane. I was having withdraw symtoms so I bought another.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

If u decide to get the DG-1000 it has ailerons... So why not go with the radian pro? Eventually you "might" want the versatility of having ailerons down the road so you'll be good in the end with having the pro version. I've had the multiplex easy glider with ailerons and I'm sure it weighs more than the typical 3 channel setup but it thermalled really easy..

Not saying you shouldn't get the radian 3ch. But just think about if you are going to need ailerons in the future.. Saves money.. =)
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
davidj

The DG 1000 is a novilty. It flys great but not as well as either radian. It is the only foam glider with an up an go system and it is more fragile than the radians.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM
momo5400

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DG1000 crash

Old 06-18-2017, 08:56 PM
momo5400

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the last flight of the DG1000