Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian & Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radian & Monokote?

I just got me a Radian RTF this week, (Haven't even taken it out of the box yet) I was planning on flying it this weekend but the WXreport says snow, so I'll build it this weekend.

I want to make the bottom of the wing on my new Radian different from the top. Ido have the Blue lusterkote but really don't want to use that. Can I use Monokote on the foam? Anyone done this and have photos? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: Radian & Monokote?

Although Ive never tried monokote directly on foam its because they say its not good for it. Monokote irons on at a hotter temperature which could melt the foam. Monokote has a product that is ment more for foam which is called Econokote and it irons on at a cooler temperature which should not over heat foam.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Seriously I WOULD NOT go there.
Your idea to get some color on the bottom is a very good one though. I would look into spray paint and use newspaper and masking tape to get some nice wide piano keys under there. BUT do some research on what kind of paint will work. Remeber that paint is heavy so with whatever type you go for go easy on it. Radians are super nice planes it would be a shame to melt one with the wrong kind of paint.

another option would be the Stick on Monokote trim sheets. (a lite spray painting would weigh less though)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
RickShane

MYPLAN:

I did a mock up with blue colored paper, cut them into 3x3 inches and checkered the bottom of the wing. It looked very good.So what I'm going to do is get me some Blue Stick on Monokote trim sheets, cut me a bunch of 3x3 inch squares, and just have the bottom of the wing white & blue checker. White being the foam, and the blue being the trim sheet. I'll take photos when done with it. Idid try 4x4 squares and didn't like it. Plusit was only 2 rows, 3 rows looks better.

When Idid the mock up Istarted at the inside leading edge of the wingand worked myway out. Not sure about the bottom of the tail yet. But if I do checker it, it may be 1x1 inch squaresor a little bigger. Whatever it takes to get 3 or more rows.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
CurtD

Before you spend too much time cutting the squares out, cut one square and try it. I've used Trim Monokote on my Radian but it does not stick very well to the foam and peels easily. I ended up using clear Scotch tape over the edges to keep the trim from peeling up.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Skysailor51

For visibility, I have used the lightweight packing tape that is available in several colours over here. It is about 3" wide and could easily be used to create the checkered pattern that RickShane would like.
It is easy to peel off but if lightly ironed at a low setting, the bond to the Radian foam is quite tenacious.
I am sure it would be available in the US also.
Iwill post the photo later. The network is not accepting at the moment.
Skysailor51
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hello,

MonoKote is a HIGH Temperature Film, - TOP Flite "ECONOKOTE" Is a low temperature
film that can be applied directly to a Foam Airplanes.

Ultracote is a Low Temperature Film, but I haven't tried it directly on a Foam Wing.

SOLARFILM is another low Temperature film.

Photo of ZAGI covered in ECONOKOTE directly onto the Foam, a Product Review that
I performed for the now "Out of Print" R/C Modeler Magazine.

Ken AMA 1528
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42155.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1543540  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
GlenIronPa

I've seen people using water based krylon spray paint. Looks very good, but takes awhile to dry. http://www.krylon.com/products/h2o_latex/
Ace sells it http://www.acehotline.com/p-1563-krylon-h2o-latex.aspx I'll be spraying mine in the spring.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All you really need is a contrasting colour. Checkerboard and stripes on the bottom of the wing tend to just blend to one inbetween washed out lookingcolour by the time you're out and away. And none of the plastics or tapesstick to thatpolystyrenefoam all that well from what I've found. So paint is really the way to go. And just do the whole bottom of the wing with a fairly dark colour. The darker the better. Red looks black at spec out distances anyway. And yellow or other bright colours need the sun on them to really stand out and it's always shaded on the bottom so that doesn't work either. So it comes down to at least red or something darker so you get the contrast.

It doesn't need to be all shiney and polished. Just mist on a couple of light coats so you get an even and good colour and call it good. The weight of the amount of paint needed to achieve this condition will still be lighter than the films or tapes that you're considering. What Iwould suggest for prep is to wash the foam well with a safe solvent to remove any mold release agents. Low odor paint thinner used for oil based house paint is such a solvent. Follow that with Windex or similar and allow to dry fully in case the mold release is sensitive to water instead of solvent. Anything more harsh and you riskdissolving the foam.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
OzMo

Here are a couple of examples. Got these off another site, kudos for the gaduated pics to Sparky Paul. I think this is a good example of what is what BMathews is talking about. After going with all one color and piano stripes I am sticking now with all one color. Perhaps a single stripe or something to ID my plane from others.

Name:	Tr51673.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1543621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42367.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1543623  
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
OzMo

I thought the graduated pics by Sparky Paul were such good teaching tools I saved them to my RC file. Not a bad Idea for anyone, just be sure to give credit to Sparky Paul!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
BMatthews

I'd forgotten that Paul did those.  But you're right, I remember thinking that his two pictures really hit the nail on the head with a very convincing blow.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
RickShane

I called Parkzone today and talked with support aboutthis. Here's what he told me abouthow to use theself stick monokote sheets ....

Use the less strong rubbing alcohol (Not the 90% but like the 70%) rub the foam down, and use the trim self stick monokote sheets, and it will stick very well, and you shouldn't have any problems.He also said that's how he does a lot of his foam planes.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
BMatthews

But as you've seen from the posts above you will want to cover the whole wing.  The chances of doing so with self stick film and not getting any airbubbles or wrinkles is somewhere between slim and nil.  And two light coats of paint will weigh less to boot.  Your choice.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 AM
RickShane

Here's the results of my RadianChecker bottom wing & tail with theMonokote sefl sticktrim sheets. I just love the checker look and have then on all my planesother than my Corsair where I did 3wide white stripes on the ends of the main wing.

For the main wing I cut the squares2 1/2' x 2 1/2'. And on the tail 1 /14' x 1 1/4'.Prepped thesurfaces with70% Isopropyl alcohol. (As per Parkzone &DO NOT USE 91% alcohol)Everything went fine, and nothing happened to the foam. The trim sheets really stuck well. I don't think I'm going to have any problems with them. All it took was a little time, and I love the looks! Photos below... Let me know what you think.
Thanks for everyones input on this topic. I hope it helps someone.

Name:	Rp42650.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1543923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77483.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1543924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.0 KB