Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

need help w/ ideas (beginer)

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

need help w/ ideas (beginer)

Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
chevyman75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help w/ ideas (beginer)

im new here and new to planes and building of planes but...Does anyone know where i can get plans to build a glider from 1/4in wood for a glider?? i dont have the money to buy one and limited to stuff stuffed around the house.. i live on a hill so the wind is strong!! the wind is to strong for most of the foamies.. any ideas or tips will help greatly! thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
flexsphincter

Default RE: need help w/ ideas (beginer)

if you dont have money you might try out the spads they are made from those plastic signs you see on the side of the road for elections ,yard sales etc.,there are websites devoted to this extremely inexspensive building mode, and some mind blowing creations that fly very well they say. there might be a forum here but ive seen one at rcworld,,,,,or just google" spads rc airplanes" gl have fun my friend.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
flexsphincter

i said rc world but its rcgroups
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
chevyman75

thanks flex. i appriciate it! ill check that out
Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM
soarhead-RCU

Hi chevyman:
If your money is tight why dont you think about foam as a building material. You can use blue insulation foam available at Lowes stores or like me go to the nearest Dollar Tree store and get 20X30inch sheets of foamboard for a buck. You then draw your parts on the sheets and cut them out with a Excacto or razor knife. The stuff has a paper laminate on the outside of it, so you soak your parts in water for 20-30 minutes and the glue holding the paper on it loosens and you just peal it off, Walla you have nice smooth white surface. Also most craft store such as Hobby Lobby have the same material but is a little higher $ per sheet. If you need plans for this type of building and how-tos go to RCGroups in the scratchbuild foamy section. Many Stickies at the top of the section for plans, anything you desire, from small to large, powered and gliders. Also read some threads and it will give you building hints and types of glues to use. I then paint some trim colors on my planes with cheap water base craft paints and from 10 feet have a good looking plane.
Try foam, maybe like me you will like it!!!

Good Luck
Bob
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless you're looking at making free flight gliders you'll still need to buy a radio set and some sort of propulsion system be it a glow engine or an electric setup. Or at least a radio to put into a slope soaring glider. If it's windy all the time and you have hills that you see birds soaring over then a slope soaring glider is a really great way to fly. But it can be tough to learn due to the increased turbulence. EDIT- I see from your other thread that you already live on a hill and are looking at a slope glider. So ignore the references to power systems.

There's really nothing you can do with regular woods to make a servicable model. It's all just too heavy without slicing it down to far thinner materials. It's easier to look at other options such as foam and some sort of outer layer or the corrugated plastic already mentioned.

A cheap way to build with foam and still have a strong model is to shape the foam and then layer it with newsprint bonded on with a water based glue. In effect a foam core paper mache style of construction. I went that route a bunch of years ago for making foam and newsprint control line combat models. I only ever made three of them but all three performed well above my expectations in terms of light weight, good flying charactaristics and, most important of all for a combat model, ruggedness. All three survived a few to a lot of ground encounters before finally being hacked to pieces by props during mid air collisions or just plain blown up by being "bellcranked" in those really impressive mid air collisions. The one that was "just" chopped up I later tested by bashing the remaining wing into the concrete floor engine mount first. It took a lot of hits before finally a full armed overhead swing loosened up the mount from the foam. I was more than impressed.

I've attached a sketch of what I did below to act as sort of a guide on how you could do a radio control glider or power model. The secret is to use multiple layers.

For bonding the paper I used thinned white glue. About 1 part glue to two parts water. And I presoaked and blotted the excess water from the newspaper to make it more limp. These days I think I'd presoak the paper and then use water based varnish instead of the glue. If you try this method be aware that the paper shrinks a lot when it dries. So it's important to either work fast when laying the parts and final layer on or to keep the first side damp with a plantmister while doing the other side. And when it's all done make the whole thing equally damp and then hang it so air can flow evenly around the whole thing. And due to the thickness of the layered areasit can take two or three days to fully dry. So be patient before carrying on.

For plans look for some of the high wing trainers up in the sticky for free online plans links. Then copy one of those for sizes and airfoils.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18245.gif
Views:	17
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1564951  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
chevyman75

thank you all for your replies they have helped alot.. i was reading around on some other forums and seen that you can make a controler and sevos from a ps2 controller. have any of you heard of this or any other way to control it? like i said im very short on spending and really want to fly..
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
chevyman75

i have a motor here is the specs... not sure what they call for on gliders/sailplanes... i just wanna put a motor on for a just in case of a heavy wind gust..

MODEL VOLTAGE (V) NO LOAD AT MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY STALL
NOMINAL SPEED CURRENT SPEED CURRENT TORQUE OUTPUT EFF CURRENT TORQUE
VOLTAGE
rpm A rpm A mN-m W % A mN-m
RF-370-CA-26100 6.0V 2800 0.017 2200 0.06 0.32 0.07 48 0.22 1.471
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 AM
BMatthews

Sorry but there's just no way to make a set of RC gear from a game console controller.  Not even close.  You'll need to spend some money on a real radio set.  On this count there is just no getting away from that simple fact.  You can gamble and try going for a used radio set.  But frankly I feel it's just not worth the risk since you don't know what the history of the radio is and if the receiver was crashed badly or not or if it has developed an intermittent trouble due to engine vibration from some past use.

And that motor isn't at all powerful enough to do anything at all for propelling a model of any size.  At best it would be suitable for turning a display only prop on a static display model.  The key is the current at only 0.22 amps and the watts of power output at .07 watts.  Model airplane propulsion motors suitable for any sort of flight at all generate from 40 to 200 watts per pound of model weight depending on if you need a slow and gentle climb or want to streak skyward like a rocket.  So you need motors that handle from 5 to 50 amps depending on the size of the model.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
chevyman75

thanks for reply!! my model is going to be about a lb. and a half maybe thats with the motor and batt. to run it... i just want a motor that will help it stay afloat i dont wanna climb high for the clouds or nothing... i will be hand launching so if the motor just helps keep it in a str8 line that works..
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
chevyman75

how do i add pics from my comp. on to here??

Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: chevyman75

how do i add pics from my comp. on to here??
Below the box where you typed in your message there's a line titled "File" and on that line is a blue text link that says "Click here to upload images and files!".

And it doesn't matter if you just want to "stretch the glide". The motor you mentioned won't even do that.With the power it puts out it's no good but for nose weight. Even just to get back to where you launched from you'd still want about 20 to 30 watts per pound just to fight the turbulence that you'd likely be in when flying on a slope.

Most folks that fly in slope lift just walk down the hill and pick up their model then walk back up when they land below where they are standing.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM
chevyman75

thanks!! i played around and missed that file button all together lol... and for the motor its seems to throw alot of wind but i guess not enough.. i have a bunch of odds and ends around the house to get motors from i just dont know what motor would be best... is there a good motor in portable cd / cassette players or old comp. or anything else i can find around the house??
Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
chevyman75

here is a few pics of the spad style plane im building. still needs a few thing put on but.. its just to see if the wing styles and fuse will work..

Name:	Lj21419.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1565679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12822.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1565680  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
SBS_Pilot

Hello chevyman

Really nice plane you are building.

I know I have seen one or two tutorials of how to use cd-rom motors for rc models, but i can't seem to find them right now. My best bet would be in a forum called "Foamies (scratchbuilt)" at rcgroups.com. In addition to the motor you also need a suitable speed controller. I am almost sure a cd-rom motor is brushless, so in that case you will need a brushless speed controller. Probably the cheapest place to get any speed controller (also referred to as ESC or BL-ESC for brushless) is hobbyking.com, but sometimes the postage may make it unnecessarily expensive to buy a single item. I have bought a few motors and ESC from rctimer.com where the postage is included in the price and they haven't complained so far about me making several small orders.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions if (when?) they arise
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Chevyman75,
Hi glad to see you have caught the building bug. It can be a lot of fun. BUT reinventing the wheel and trying to learn to fly IS HARD TO DO. We want you to be sucessful!
I would pop into the BEGINNERS FORUM here on RCU and read EVERYTHING at the top of the forum. Then look for a foam trainer plan, simpler the better. Buy a radio and electric motor set up. If you are REALLY on a budget (aren't we all) look on Hobbyking.com for a low cost radio and power plant set up for the trainer.
The scratch built foamy forum on RCGROUPS is a great source for the required pieces lists. Look at one called "Tuffy". It can be built out of FAn fold foam OR the dollar store sheets just mentioned. The gear will last for many planes and you can learn and beat up the foam body. when it gets to raggedy just cut out another dollars worth of foam and GO FOR IT.
Now one other way to get a plane to start out with cheap is to buy a SLOW STICK. It is a carbon stick or tube body and a foam wing and tail. free plans for redoing this into an aileron plane using the previously mentioned foams can be had, the slow stick without radio and gear is only $25.00 rebiulding it around $2.00

Either way, pick a trainer then these guys can guide you towards gear for it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM
kw5368
My Feedback: (2)

Keep your eye on this forum for free items. You would be surprised what you can get for the cost of shipping it to you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/free-items-505/

Ken
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
BMatthews

The issue with the motors isn't about having MORE turns.  It's actually about having LESS turns and strong magnets.  The guys that have made up brushless motors from CDRom motors take the old fine wire windings off and replace them with fewer turns of heavier wire to allow them to draw the amount of current needed to turn a proper propeller.  If that's the motor you talked about in the earlier post then it's really not going to do anything at all for actually moving your model.

If you want to see stuff fly then I'd start with some free flight gliders and learn the basics about building with your chosen materials and what works.  Weight is always a concern so learn to use whatever you have to build light.  If you can't build it light and strong enough without extreme efforts then at least you've learned that whatever you used isn't good enough for model building and can move on from there.

I'm sorry if all this sounds a bit brutal but sometimes you just have to face the facts.  This becomes especially true when you're trying to do this with non standard materials and methods for whatever reason instead of just getting stuff that is known to work.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
chevyman75

hey thank you all for the replies they should help me out alot!!! and (bmatthews) no hard feelings the truth is the best rather than beating around the bush.. (OzMo) i have caught the building bug. the plane i showed in pics above have ppl telling me that its an anchor and everything else so im ready to prove them wrong even if i have to balance it without a motor and turn into a plane no motor glider.. its only about a pound to a pound and a half with the motor and all... they just going by the pics i posted... if we all dont know ( pictures can be decieving)... thanks again for the replies
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...po-ep-rtf.html

this may be one of the cheapest ways to get a radio and on board gear even if you beat the bidy of the plane to death.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
chevyman75

thanks OzMo i will check it out and see what i can find
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
chevyman75

i got the tail put on my plane today.. i think its big enough but not sure.. looks like a huge gap between wings and tail but its only about 4 inches... what do yins think?

Name:	Wu61988.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1568482  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
BMatthews

Yeah, it's a little short. With the tail areas and wing you'd be better with the tail arm being about another couple or even three inches longer. If you can graft on an extension and move the tail surfaces back then it'll be fine. As it is now with the fairly short tail length you really could use bigger surfaces.

The relationship is that short tail lengths need bigger areas so the surfaces have enough power to stabilize and control the wing. Longer tails have more leverage so they can get away with smaller surfaces with less power. That's the simplified version. There's more to it than this but it shows you the basic principal of how sizing the tail surfaces and fuselage length works.

A few points though...

First and most importantly I'm seeing a lot of distortion in the wing. In particular the trailing edge of one wing is warped down and on the other it's warped up. Also there's a lot of crushing around the rubber bands or zip ties holding the wing to the fuselage. I see that you folded over the plastic to produce an airfoil. I'd suggest that you remove the wing and slice open the tape or glue lines and put some ribs inbetween the upper and lower surfaces and then re-fold the wing. The ribs will support the outer skins from crushing around the center and will also hold the chordwise shape a lot better and get rid of that warping you have going on presently.

Second is that I don't seen any controls. So I guess you're just trying this out as a free flight model to test some stuff and see at least some flying. But a flat wing will not be stable. To get some side to side stability the wing needs some dihedral. If the tail gap is 4 inches that makes it look like the wing is about 24 inch span by 6 inches wide. For that size wing I'd suggest you cut the center and join the panels with about 1.5 to 2 inches under each wing tip when you add the ribs to stiffen up the panels.

Finally I would suggest that you remove or cut off the landing gear. The way you made your wheels and then mounted them will not roll at all easily so the landing gear won't roll on touchdown. Instead it's just going to catch and flip the model over on it's back. Far better to just let it belly land. It'll also get rid of some weight.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
chevyman75

thanks b matthews.. i wasnt sure on how to size it up so i just went with what looked right.. and ya the landing gear was just there to hold it up off the ground/floor while not in use and for building.. and ya i noticed the wings were warping when i took the pic.. not sure y they warped to begin with.. and ya im just getting into building them so its a free flight to get the hang of building... thanks for the advise it will help out alot when i get more time to work on it ill put a pic of it after the adjustments