Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need your opinios please..

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinios please..

Hi, I am looking for a glider that climbs with authority to as high as I want and then cut it off to glide on the thermals.

Been flying for more then 30 years, just never did much with gliders.

I just want something to go out in the back field and relax with or have fun flying full speed..

Don't know anything about electric motors, battery setup, esc... so can you guys recommend a good setup for a 2m or less wing span??

Thanks a lot,, happy flying.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM
kwmtrubrit

Default RE: Need your opinios please..

I would investigate the Radian Pro. It's a full house, (ailerons, flaps, rudder and elevator) and electric powered. I fly sailplanes of various sizes and also have one of these (my only electric powered sailplane). As a plane that you pick up and go with, along with durability, I'm not sure you can go far wrong. It comes in a couple of different "formats." "Bind and fly", which is everything (servos installed, battery and charger, radio system), and "plug and play" (servos installed, maybe battery). You will need your own TX, RX and charger. If you get it with everything, the radio system is 2.4. If you want to get fancy with this plane, being a full house, you will need a programable, 7+ channel radio. I think the one that comes with the plane is a 6 channel.

For absolute lazy flying you have the Radian (rudder, elevator, motor) which is more of a polyhedral wing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Spiritwind

Thanks for the input on the Radian Pro. How is the climb rate with the motor setup that comes with it? Will it climb or just hang on the edge of a stall trying to gain altitude?? Thanks for the info...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like you're after "hotliner" high speed and fast climbing but want to also look for thermals. But most hotliners are somewhat heavy to encourage them to fly fast so they take a good eye and even better pilot skill to find and ride lift when in "glider" mode with the motor shut off.

The Radian Pro will climb far better than "hanging on at the stall speed" but it's hardly a rocket. Check out the videos on YouTube for the Radian Pro and see if it suits what you are looking for.

You're going to find that generally gliders are all easy to fly. Unlike power models it's not wise to pick a glider/sailplane that challenges your piloting skills. The challenge is in finding and riding the lift on days where it's spotty and weak. The other challenge is to learn to trust the model and your flying when following lift way downwind or way up high where you can just barely see the model and you're flying mostly on trust and instincts. A fast and twitchy model isn't the best choice for this sort of thing.

Another model that may suit your desires a bit more is the Passer X from R2Hobbies. Again, check out You Tube for videos of it. The vids I quickly looked at showed it to be quite aerobatic. Yet at the same time the model is quite light so it should slow down and thermal well. But with dead flat wings you'll find that flying it out at the limits of vision is a lot more tricky than the Radian Pro which has more dihedral and would fly hands off far more easily.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Spiritwind

Awesome,, thanks for all the info. Will check out your suggestions...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Radian is a R/E/T thermal glider that soars better than most gliders and it is RTF. But it is not well suited to hgh speed flying around. It is a glider with a motor to launch it.

The Radian Pro is closer to what you want. You should get a 45 to 55 degree climb with the stock set-up. Replace the prop with a 10X8 and you will get that climb angle to about 75+ degrees.

As a fly around sport plane the Pro is better than the Radian but still not a spot plane, it is a glider.

Radian and Radian Pro
http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=12F721D2BE8F

As stated above, sound more like you want a "warmliner" or "hotliner" which is more of a high speed glider style plane, better suited to aerobatics than thermal soaring.

The Radian's wing loading is about 6 to 6.5 oz
The Radian Pro is probably more like 7.7 oz.

Most hotliners run in the 10 to 15 ounce wing loading range. These would be examples

Siren
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPD0&P=7

Blizzard
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTV3&P=7

Sky Runner
I own one of these but it won't touch the Radian pr the Radian Pro for thermal soaring.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/Sky-Run...-_p117949.html

If you want to spend thousands instead of hundreds then there are lots of choices.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Spiritwind

Thanks a lot for the info aeajr.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Spiritwind

Thanks a lot for the info aeajr.
I think the Radian Pro is a great place to start. Just to throw another idea into the mix, however, I just thought I'd mention the Thunder Tiger eHawk 1500. Tower Hobbies sells the ARF version for around $129.99, and it comes with a brushless outrunner motor at that price.

I outfitted mine with a trio of $3 HXT900 micro servos and an 18Amp, $7 Tower Pro brushless ESC from Hobby King. I fly it with an Airtronics RX500 full range 2.4Ghz receiver and 1000Mah 3S LiPo batteries.

Outfitting it was very inexpensive, and it will climb out at about 60 degrees at full power. I can fit it into my Hyundai Elantra without taking off the wing, which is really nice. I've gotten a lot of very enjoyable flying from a small investment. You can see flying videos of the eHawk on YouTube as well, and it may also be a good choice for what you want.

Good luck and good flying!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ulJc4j4SmM[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37322.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1596664