Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

First time soaring today, AWESOME!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

First time soaring today, AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
stick man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time soaring today, AWESOME!

For the first time, I flew my glider over a bluff today without using the power. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and I've only flown the thing twice before, and both times I had to use the motor to launch it at this very same spot, mostly because there was very little wind but also because I was just plain scared!

But today, on the third flight ever, I stood on the edge of the bluff, looked down at the rocky beach below (yikes!), and then tossed my plane into the wind. I was SO nervous, but then there it was, hovering in front if me as if suspended in outerspace. For a couple of seconds It seemed weightless and calm, then it started lifting into the sky, pretty as you please. It was so awesome! And Irealize this may seem like no big deal to some of you but I cant tell you how excited I am about it. What a great day!

I'm also much more confident in finishing the build of my scale gliders now (Salto H101 and Discus CS), which I intend to soar at the same spot. I cant wait!

Just wanted to share.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: First time soaring today, AWESOME!

Your story brings back memories of the first time I went slope soaring and that same magical feeling. It's pretty special.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Very cool stickman! Your off to a good start in a great hobby.
With that said. What were you flying and where up there are you flying at?
Reminds me of the first time I went slpoping when I got started.
Some of the others may want to join you.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky! I wish I had some slopes. I still remember my first thermal.... Welcome to the most exciting segment of the hobby, IMHO!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
wyowindworks

Congrats!  RC will never be the same for you.  The simplicity of slope soaring is too awesome.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
stick man

Thanks for the support guys. After this experience, I really do think that I will spend more time soaring than flying my powered planes. But i guess only time will tell.

Tinkrerpilot- I was flying a cheap foamie (Dynam Sonic 185 RTF). Because of my inexperience, I wasnt prepared to toss my nice(er) scale glider off the top of the bluff just yet so I bought the Sonic for 'training'.
As far as location goes, I will only tellyou that its a bluff near Sequim, on private property (which I do not own), so I am hesitant to give exact location. That said, there are bluffs pretty much all along the Straits of Juan deFuca so I plan on exploring other spots. I will keep you posted on my findings so that maybe we can all enjoy it because I agree and think it would be even better to soar with friends!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
kwmtrubrit

Welcome to the dark side (or so the power guys think)
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
wyowindworks

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

Welcome to the dark side (or so the power guys think)
Hmmmmm....the dark side (back-side of a hill) can be really fun. Speed only the power guys can dream about

The Dark Side
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a really good site to slope on..it is magical !
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Congratulations! It is in deed addicting :-)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on your first successful slope-soar!!!!

Isn't it a hoot!!!!??!!!!!!!

I like to "slope" my Spirit-100 & Bird of Time. Neither were ever designed for it but they do pretty well.

Yeah, cool stuff!!

Dave
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
sylvie369

Wow, it's exciting to read this. Congratulations!

I just flew R/C for the first time yesterday, with a little Fling ARF, and after a minor repair (grin), flew for about 2-1/2 hours more this morning. GOD I love sailplanes.
I probably need to resist trying to advance to a bigger/better hill or slope until I've done another couple of hours of just gliding on a hillside, but it sounds like a blast. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sylvie, it's like getting something for free, isn't it?

You guys think that slope flying is special, wait until you catch and ride out a thermal and get your first half hour flatland flight. Your soaked armpits from the nervous sweating will tell you that you just did something REALLY special....
Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 AM
sylvie369

Yup. On top of that, I just read the thread in the Beginners' forum about people getting their fingers cut by propellers, which made flying sailplanes seem even more special.

I've always loved sailplanes, and I've got a couple of hours in the real thing, including some easy and thrilling slope soaring on Oahu. When I think of all of the time I spent as a kid throwing various uncontrolled gliders into the air and then wishing I had some control over them, to finally be able to have that control yesterday was incredible (I'm 50, so it was a long time coming).

Sorry about the thread hijack. Back to talk about slope soaring, okay?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
stick man

Yes its an amazing feeling; throwing these things into the unknown and then watching, and helping, it soar. Love it! And even though I pretty much jumped into the deep end right off the bat, by first attempting to soar a steep Bluff ( I call it Bluff Surfing), I am getting better at it. In fact, I believe that soaring is making me a better rc pilot in general, and now i find that my powered planes are a breeze to fly.