Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Old Sailplane in need of new CANOPY

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Old Sailplane in need of new CANOPY

Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 PM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Sailplane in need of new CANOPY

Good afternoon.

Ihave an older Sailplane (Aspire EP)that Inever flew... and whilesaving it from my mother's garage, Iseemed to have misplaced the original canopy.

S0where does one order or find NEWcanopies? Is there a company or website I can go to for an assortment so I can try and find one that closely resembles the shape/contour of my sailplane? My sailplane is no longer in production and I have searched like crazy for a canopy - but can't find one.

Canopy Opening Dimensions:
10 1/2 " Long
Back:2 3/8" Wide
Front: 1 3/4" Wide

Thanks for any advice in advance! Appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85124.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1624821  
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Old Sailplane in need of new CANOPY

cut one out of a block of foam, its lite and can be paint with any water base paint,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

One can also tack glue that foam canopy to a balsa sheet that fits the opening and slide a cleaned soda or other plastic bottle of whatever color over it. Then use your heat gun to shrink it down to fit. After removing the foam, trimming to fit and gluing it to the balsa sheet you have a new canopy. Works great. Most plastic water/soda etc. bottles today are blow molded and will work but some are thicker/heavier than others and some are molded and will not shrink evenly. (A thick seam is a bad sign) Be sure to practice on something like an old kids shoe first to get the technique down. Fabric dies or paint can also be used, (paint the inside).

Dennis K
Old 06-19-2011, 03:36 AM
skylark-flier

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hanger-9 came out with that plane, as I remember. You could quite possibly get an original canopy from them - or they can at least point you in the right direction.

I'm with the other guys too - making your own can be a lot of fun. Many/most of my canopies have been dyed with RIT dyes. Bucket of warm water, dye in bucket, stir, canopy in bucket. When the water's cool the canopy's ready. Really, that's all there is to it.

Dave
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
TIA

Then again, if you just want to be done with it and fly.....

http://www.hobbysuperstore.com/browse.cfm/4,91183.html

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: TIA

The part number for the Aspire EP Canopy is HAN 1480. The canopy referenced is for the Aspire - the one without a motor and it is different. But it might work in the absent of the correct one. I'd give it a try.

As a note unless you are going to put a brushless motor in the Aspire EP it is not going to be worth much as an electric sailplane. Climb rate is poor at best.

Good luck. Todd
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: TIA

OK, Iordered it... hopefully this one will fit the EP version with a motor/propeller. We'll see. Thanks!

Note:It's always disconcerting when the shipping is over 3x the value of the item ordered.... and that's shipping CHEAPLY. Good grief.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: sawdust
As a note unless you are going to put a brushless motor in the Aspire EP it is not going to be worth much as an electric sailplane. Climb rate is poor at best.
Hopefully if I use a lighter LiPo battery, this will help.... we'll find out soon enough (once I have a canopy that works).
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
TIA

Oops. I missed that it is ep. Yep your best bet would be to find the HAN1480 but the glider version may work.

I believe this is discontinued but you could try asking the marketer.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN1480

Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM
jstrach

The Aspire canopy I attempted to order as indicated above in this thread, has been discontinued the retailer claims and Iam back to square one. Most likely I will have to adapt another canopy from a more current sailplane which shares similar dimensions, or attempt to construct a custom canopy as indicated above.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
madcappilot

You may want to look at Great Planes Spirit glider canopy specs and see if they would be close enough to work.I just ordered one last week and will be picking it up later today.The specs sound close to what you are looking for.The cost I believe is 6.99.Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: madcappilot
You may want to look at Great Planes Spirit glider canopy specs and see if they would be close enough to work.I just ordered one last week and will be picking it up later today.The specs sound close to what you are looking for.The cost I believe is 6.99.Hope this helps.
Just ordered it, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: sawdust
Good luck. Todd
Todd, do you have a recommendation for a motor on this sailplane to replace the stock motor then? The weight of the NiCAD battery pack is what I'm assuming impacts the climb rate the most; i was thinking of converting to a LiPo maybe...? To reduce that weight. Currently the sailplane weighs right now: 3 lbs (2.92 lbs.)
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The canopy is not critial.  Make it up out of 1/8" balsa or light ply.  I have even made them out of soda cans at the field.   1 or 2 liter soda bottles work well too, if you like that smooth look.  Paint it black an it looks pretty cool.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Jerome the 2 motors that I have used on the Aspire are no longer available. I am not well informed on electric motors. My current sailplane is the Radian which is already equipped with motor, esc, and prop.

Why don't you start a new thread titled something like "What brushless motor for an Aspire'. In your request state the size and weight of the Aspire. I would also include your picture of the nose with the original motor. Don't go for ballistic performance as the wings on the Aspire are not meant for extreme performance. You may have to modify the motor mount.

Todd
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

I used to have an aspire and the stock canopy is just a piece of flimsy plastic with little to no support. I had originally lost my canopy in a fight with a bird. I cut up a 2 liter bottle at the field and it worked fine.