Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
jquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?

ORIGINAL: tobuy3003

Those are some good reasons. What I am seeing is that newbies drive out to our site and then try to convince me to add a motor when I already have my own setup in use that I am fine with. I explain to them about the nurmerous long flights and they ignore that and go into full detail on how to convert. I feel like the last guy would even stop by and drill the mounting holes for me. At my location I dont need anything else. In fact, even a tow plane would stay up without power here. I just like to figure out why people do what they do.
I began flying a Gentile lady back in the early 80's. I learned on a winch, but it was at a dedicated sailplane filed. There was a retirement home that has a large field out in back, and they let us fly there as we made no noise. They also enjoyed watching us fly. Back then you could lay out 250 + yards of line, set a turn around and come back, and not worry about the chute landing on a phone pole, electric wire or tree. Now fields are much smaller, and most share with gassers. So laying out 250 yards of line across a runway for powered aircraft would most likely result in some unplanned arrest landings and take offs. Can you imagine a line coming down across the flight path? everyone would have to stop flying just so you could launch. So not the most friendly way of nostalgia flying. Ok everyone land, so I can go up every 15 min! I couldn't ask that of people. But taking a few steps and a hard throw? hit the power-no problem.

So electric in the nose? Sure, in fact I had thoughts of building an electric Sagitta 900 with a prop. Yes a bit sacrilegious, but I enjoyed my 600 growing up, and I am pretty sure not many people have even seen one at a field. I also doubt they would let me put out several hundred yards of line at the field today.

Just my .02
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for Newbie pilots to explain why you suggest motors on gliders?

ORIGINAL: tobuy3003

Im looking for pilots and newbie pilots to explain why they think that installing motors on thermal gliders is information that must be shared with others to help them out. I am not looking for how to do it, but the reasons why it needs to be done in detail and its advantage. Many have suggested it on nearly ever outing I go flying, but Ican never remember to ask why. So heres your chance.

Thanks in advance...
If you read a book on elementary psychology you will not have to ask anyone why they act the way they do.

Mucch less open a thread to give them a chance to explain.

Those that are bothering youare not likely to write in this forum anyway.

Incidentally I just bought two sailplanes ___a Spectra and a Radian pro.

Only one oher fellow at the local club has a sailplane and it is an older Radian (no flaps and no ailerons).

Just enjoy the way you prefer and let others enjoy their own way.

My half a penny's worth.

Zor