Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

BOT, Paragon or Riser 100?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Digger3612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOT, Paragon or Riser 100?

I've built about 30 different gas powered RC airplanes in the past and have found that I enjoy big, ole lazy floaters over turn and burn airplanes. I once had a 2 meter sailplane with a cox power pod that got to altitude well. I also built and flew a .15 powered RCM Big Bird until a radio glitch made kindling out of it. My favorite gaser though was the Sig Seniorita with a .25 nitro engine. My first dabble into electrics was a little airplane that Carl Goldberg offered so long ago tht I don't recall it's name. I just remember it was not very powerful and had a 9.6v nicad battery and used full size servos. After a few flights I gave up on electrics.
I abandoned RC flying in lieu of ultralight aircraft and now fly an T.E.A.M. Airbike that I built from plans. Fast Forward about 10/12 years to the present. I live on a small acerage in western Illinois (read: flatlander) and have a 500 foot runway that is just begging for a large RC glider. I find myself reminicing about my RC days and wanting a large "floater" type glider in the 100" to 120" wingspan range. I'm also interested in electrifying any sailplane I would build. I'm still 62 years young so hand launching is not an issue. Here is what I am looking for:

1. I've narrowed my search (in order of preference) to A. Paragon, B. Bird of Time and C. Sig 100 Riser but I'm also open to suggestions.
2. What type/size motor would I need to get such a bird in the air? I'm not looking for a rocket, just getting me up comfortably.
3. What battery? ESC? Radio? Charger? Remember, all my current equipment is terribly out-of-date and I'd like a radio that might fulfill my future needs without being overly laden with bells and whistles that Imay never use.
4. Is there a "one stop shop" vendor where Ican get everything I need in the way of electrics and radio? Yes, cost is an issue.
5. Is there a RTF "Floater" that might better get me where Iwant to go?

From those of you who have personal, real-world experience what would be your recommendations for fulfilling my needs? Keep in mind that when it comes to modern radios, brushless motors, speed controllers and lipo batteries and their chargers I am a complete novice. Please construct your replies accordingly.
Additionally, I am not opposed to using a hi-start launch system in lieu of electric power so I'm all ears to that option as well. It's just a new skill I would have to master.

Many, many thanks in advance,
Ron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37029.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	1658919  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM
rhall999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BOT, Paragon or Riser 100?

Hello Digger, welcome back to the hobby!! Love that Airbike of yours, looks like a lot of fun, and way cheaper to run than my Cessna

Now, as for the gliders, I am not familiar with the Paragon, however, I do like both the BoT and the Riser 100. Both fly very nice, the Bird might be a bit floatier though, and is a bit bigger of course. Personally, I would go with the Riser 100 if it were me, just because I kind of like the looks of them a bit more than the BoT.

As far as a motor system, I am still learning the specs and such of the new brushless stuff myself, but here is my thoughts:

A motor such as this: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015Awould probably fit your needs for either the Bird or Riser. The climb on either would not be rocket like, but I would say it wouldstill be fairly "sprightly". There are many other comparable motors in this size range that would work too.

For a speed control, again, there are lots. Something like the Thunderbird-54 from castle creations would work with this motor: http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html
Maybe make sure that the speed control has a brake, you want to be able to stop the prop so that it can fold properly. I know a guy that didn't set up the brake on his, and the prop would still windmill enough that it wouldn't fold.

As far as a battery pack, probably at least a 3 cell LiPo, with a good capacity (at least 1500mAh or more for those nice long thermal flights. Even bigger if you are doing lots of flying with the motor running).

Hope this gives a bit of help. There are others who know the electric power plants better than I, so hopefully one of them will chime in.

Ron.

PS, I bet your old electric was the Goldberg Mirage 550. The description sounds right.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
kwmtrubrit

I built a Riser 100 and loved it (past tense is intended :-( ). I also have a BOT that was a kit, not ARF. Of the two, I prefer the Riser. None of mine are E powered so I can't help you there. Have you looked at the kits that SKYBENCH makes? Some very nice planes there. If you enjoy building, you can get a "large" Merlyn. I had one (past tense again). It decided it didn't want to live with me any more and flew away. I need to clarify one thing. This Merlyn was the original kit built some 25yrs ago. It had been mine for about two months. Back on subject: The Oly's would be worth a look see, as would Ray Hayes version of the BOT (Big Bird, ect.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Digger3612

Well, I think I just fell in love with Ray Hayes Oly III kit. His Big Bird is an improvement over the Bird of Time, but I really like that big Olympic 3.
Thanks for the pointer!

I made contact with a local RC Glider club member and made arrangements to visit their field at the next opportunity. That should give me an chance to witness first hand some bungee launchs and to pick everyone's collective thoughts on gliders and equipment.

Cheers,
Ron

Looking forward to Christmas!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Digger3612

Well, I think I just fell in love with Ray Hayes Oly III kit. His Big Bird is an improvement over the Bird of Time, but I really like that big Olympic 3.
Thanks for the pointer!

I made contact with a local RC Glider club member and made arrangements to visit their field at the next opportunity. That should give me an chance to witness first hand some bungee launchs and to pick everyone's collective thoughts on gliders and equipment.

Cheers,
Ron

Looking forward to Christmas!
Ron, all are good fliers - the Oly-3 is outstanding and would take electrics quite well, as does the BoT &Riser.

Just asking, have you thought about nitro - something like the 99"Butterfly with a small 4-stroke? Mine has tricycle gear instead of the original tail dragger configuration (better for the camera mounts), OS-26 4-stroke and 4 oz. tank - will stay up 40 minutes or more on a tank of fuel. (pics below). Takes off in about 30' and is super-relaxing to fly.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71972.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1659254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29987.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1659255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52019.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1659256  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Digger3612

Dave,
Yes, I actually did consider a Butterfly. In fact, I have an OS 20 FS that Itook off of a plans built Randy Randolph One Step. That was a supreme setup. Such a great little 3 channel flier and slow enough that I really enjoyed catching it by hand. I still have plans for the RCM Big Bird, very similar to a Butterfly and thought about mating the 20 FS to another RCM Big Bird. Until then, just can't get that big Oly off my mind........

Ron
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
kwmtrubrit

I have a friend that built a Riser 100, a Spirit Elite, then an Oly III. He loves all of them but says the Oly III is a spectacular flying plane. If you decide to build one, be sure to read the build notes on line at Skybench. If you go to the "other" RC site, I'm pretty sure you will find a build thread on the Oly III.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM
marcelo alves faria

Good night dear friends, I'm from Brazil and I can not speak English please forgive my grammar errors because I'm using googlo translator, I need MINA glider plant po
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 AM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Paragon is a spectacular light lift plane, and a fairly easy build....Oly III is a great kit, and a great all around performer...Sig Riser is OK, but nothing compared to these two......BOT, not worth the build..