Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

radio hookup

Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM
earl267

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio hookup

I am starting out in elec gliders, I have my radio from my other plane. I have a list of what I need to complete my elec plane,I am looking for a diagram of how to put it all togeather, and can I use my radio to control the plane.
I have a 30a amp UBEC will this plug into my receiver from my other plane.
Thanks saltybiz. ( e-mail [email protected])
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: radio hookup

For starters you could tell us what the other radio is for brand and style. With a lot of the smaller and cheaper model packages I would not trust the very inexpensive radio in a larger and more serious model which will range out to longer distances.

I suspect that when you typed UBEC that you meant ESC. A UBEC is a "Universal Battery Elimiinator Circuit" which is used to provide reduced voltage from the flight battery. But these don't normally supply 30amps. So I suspect you meant a "30A ESC" or "Electronic Speed Control".

If you're removing the radio gear from the old model then the book that came with it may show you how to hook things up. If not then what gear are you buying to go with the new airplane. NORMALLY it would be a receiver and enough servos to work the controls along with the ESC to control the motor.

So give us a little more information on what you've got or what you're getting and we'll be able to help out better.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We need a full list of all the stuff you have including brands and models.

If you can supply links to information about the components, all the better.

With no specifics, any advice you receive will likely be wrong.

For starters, if you are trying to us stuff out of another plane, what plane was the source of the stuff?  Was it an RTF or did you buy the parts yourself?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM
earl267

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I have a 6 channel Futaba radio, I think it would be better if I purchased a new radio for the glider.?
The items I was told that I would need is.

Turnigy Accucel-6-50w-6A Balancer/charger w / acessories.
1- 30A ESC 3A UBEC from hobby king
1- Birdie 10A Brushless ESCw/1A BEC
1- NTMProp Drive 28-36-750KV/265W

and that is all that I have, I am not sure what battery pack to get? I hope you cal tell me something about this, I think there are something missing.?
Thanks for your time Earl Peak ([email protected])everything from hobbyking
Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: saltybiz

I am starting out in elec gliders, I have my radio from my other plane. I have a list of what I need to complete my elec plane,I am looking for a diagram of how to put it all togeather, and can I use my radio to control the plane.
I have a 30a amp UBEC will this plug into my receiver from my other plane.
Thanks saltybiz. ( e-mail [email protected])

First of all I have a 6 channel Futaba radio, I think it would be better if I purchased a new radio for the glider.?
The items I was told that I would need is.

1- Birdie 10A Brushless ESCw/1A BEC
1- NTMProp Drive 28-36-750KV/265W

and that is all that I have, I am not sure what battery pack to get? I hope you cal tell me something about this, I think there are something missing.?
Thanks for your time Earl Peak ([email protected])everything from hobbyking
I still don't know what glider you have, how many servos it has, its size or its weight or how you intend to fly it.

Thermal soaring? Slope Soaring?Hotliner?

What model Futaba Radio? They make many. However,you should be able to fly most gliders using a 6 channel radio. I still don't know what receiver you have so I don't know ifit has enough channels.

What servos are you using? How many?

I presume the NTM is the motor.Is this your motor?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19611
Specs:
Model: NTM Prop Drive Series 2836 750kv
Kv: 750rpm/v
Poles: 3
Motor Wind: 20T
Max current: 18A
Max Power: 165W @ 12v (3S) / 265W @ 15v (4S)
Shaft: 4mm
Weight: 87g
ESC: 20A
Cell count: 3s~4s Lipoly
Front Mounting Hole Distance: 16mm or 19mm
Connection: 3.5mm Bullet-connector

There is no prop recommendation. Not sure what you would need. Is there documentation with the motor that suggests a prop for 3Sand one for 4S?Need specs to help with battery but assuming it is 265 watts and you use a4 cell lipo, you would need to handle about18 amps. So the 30 amp ESCwill work. Andthat would suggest a minimum of around a 4S 1000 20 Cpack or larger. Someting more along the line of an 1800 20C rated pack might bebetter except I don't know how big the glider is so I don't know what will fit.

I don't know why you have the second ESC. What is that for?

What prop you have for this motor?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

1- Birdie 10A Brushless ESC w/1A BEC
1- NTM Prop Drive 28-36-750KV/265W

OK there's something wrong with this list as the second and third item are both ESC's. The fourth item seems to be the motor but they are not "prop drives". Assuming you got the information right and it is a motor then if it's good for 265 watts then you'll want to get the 30A ESC and not the Birdie one.

If you've got a 6 channel Futaba then it's all the radio you need for now since you're obviously a newbie. If this is your first radio control model I would seriously suggest you avoid any glider or electric powered glider that requires ailerons. Stick with rudder, elevator and throttle for now until you get some flying time under your belt and can manage to fly and land where YOU want and not where the model says it wants. I would also strongly suggest you seek out a club or skilled flyer to aid you during your learning phase.

Did the radio set not come with a manual? If not then find your product ID and download what you need at http://www.futaba-rc.com/downloads/manuals.html . The only thing I'll add is that with a bit of force it is possible to plug the servo leads in the wrong way around. PAY ATTENTION to the manual to ensure that the white signal wire goes where it's supposed to go.

If you're confused on how to hook up the ESC then it's pretty simple. The plug connector that looks like a servo connector into the receiver in the throttle channel. Then the red and black heavy wires from the ESC will need to be soldered or crimped into a connector that matches the battery pack. Finally the three other wires connect to the three wires of the motor. As aeajr mentions the plug together bullet connectors are nice for the motor. You could even buy a bigger bag of them and use them with the motor leads as well. If you do just be sure to get the kind with the molded shields to avoid short circuits. Also in this case flip the male and female connectors on the battery pack leads around so you can't accidentally plug the black to the red wires. If you do this even for a second you'll "let the smoke out".

When you first run the motor if it goes backwards then just switch any TWO of the three motor wires to make it go the other way.

Often the ESC and battery do not come with connectors on them. You'll need to get some connectors and solder the wires to the tabs. A popular option for the battery pack is the Deans Ultra plugs. Or as mentioned you can use shielded bullet style connectors. Just be sure you get connectors that are rated for the 30 amp potential draw that you'll have from the motor and ESC. Don't think you're saving money by buying lighter connectors.

A 3S pack running around 200 watts means up somewhere around 20 amps of current. For an electric powered sailplane you want to have the ability to climb to thermal altitude about 4 times with power left over to operate the radio. 6 minutes of full throttle is a good general guideline for gliders. And since 6 minutes is 1/10 of an hour and with a 20 amp draw in this case the math is simple. You'll want to get a 2000 to 2300 mah 3S pack. The 3S means there are three Lipo cells in series that make up the pack. Now 6 minutes doesn't seem like a lot but remember that this is at full power. If you use less power to just fly around level you'll easily get more than a 10 minute flight using the roughly 1/3 throttle setting needed to just fly level. What brand you get is up to you as long as it's a 2000 to 2300 mah pack and has the 3S designation.

I'd really suggest you don't go any bigger for capacity. The packs get bigger and heavier and you may find that the bigger packs won't fit in the room inside the fuselage and that they weight may alter the trim of the model. The trick is to buy two or three packs so you can fly with one while the other is charging.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
aeajr

How is your project coming along?