Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider Towing Vid

Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 226 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Glider Towing Vid

Here's a video I did for the Hangar 9 Pawnee review.
Enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIGEay0D0w[/youtube]
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
kwmtrubrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glider Towing Vid

I must say that, I think that was one of the nicest, smoothest tow vids I've ever seen. It looked like a full scale tow. Compliments to both pilots.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
mogman

Beautiful!!! nice flying site, definately have to buy one of those cameras.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Was a really nice job by both pilots as I've seen tow planes go down due to the glider climbing too steep or not steep enough. I was surprised that the flying field is basically next door to a nuke site. I would have thought that the NRC would have forced the site to be shut down as a danger to the reactors after 9/11 and the deal with the guy planning on using an R/C plane as a flying bomb
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
bogbeagle

Excellent work.

One of the few model videos that has kept my attention for a full four minutes!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Was a really nice job by both pilots as I've seen tow planes go down due to the glider climbing too steep or not steep enough. I was surprised that the flying field is basically next door to a nuke site. I would have thought that the NRC would have forced the site to be shut down as a danger to the reactors after 9/11 and the deal with the guy planning on using an R/C plane as a flying bomb
That would probably be true, but it's not a nuke, just a coal fired power plant with cooling towers.

Thanks for the complements. That may be one of the first tows on the new Pawnee but we've done a lot of towing both with the glider pilots tow planes and my 106" Lanier Husky electric.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM
bigguyplanes
My Feedback: (1)

Great video ! We are new to the glider scene,and I am going to be the 'Tug' .I am modifying my 1/3rd PA-18 ( GT-80) for the job. We machined a larger version of the "Bens release" and I mounted it fow'd of the T.E about 8 in behind the c of g. Is this going to be OK,as I can't find much info.I noticed on the Video the tow line catching on the rudder a couple of times,is this a concern ? I did some full size glider flying many years ago,but that was all' low tow".
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Allen
Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

The attachment point on the Pawnee is right behind the canopy, I would say without going out to the garage to look at the plane, its probably 2 or 3 inches aft of the trailing edge of the wing. On our electric Husky's we tow from the trailing edge of the top mounted wing.

The key isn't so much being "at the CG" but you dont want to be on the tail like a full scale tug. What can happen is the sailplane can get above the tug and actually pull up on the tail nosing the tug over.

In probably over 100 tows we have never had an issue with the tow line fouling the rudder. One tow, the line got under the stab/elevator prior to launch and caused some excitement until we released and figured out what happened. Its important to get rid of the slack and make sure the tow line is on top of the stab prior to launch. A piece of music wire, shapped like an L and inserted and glued into the leading edge of the fin, and extending about 1 inch up and angled to the contour of the rudder would prevent the line from getting into the rudder gap but as you can see from the video, it didn't cause any issues.

Any questions, just let me know
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

Here's the tow planes.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82800.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	1718757   Click image for larger version