Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Basic radio set up for a Blade 1.9 meter

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Basic radio set up for a Blade 1.9 meter

Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM
rodders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic radio set up for a Blade 1.9 meter

Hello all,

I have just got into gliding after years of flying planes and helis.

My first glider was/is a JW60, which I DS on my secret local slope (mental fun and I'm now a glider addict).

I have now bought a Blade 1.9 meter, for a spot of frontside aerobatics with the odd venture onto the backside if my nerves hold out. I dont know anyone with a high performance glider to copy their setup from.

The blade has a 4 servo wing.

How do I set up the radio? I have just bought an Hitec Aurora 9.

What the standard radio setup? I know that I'm going to have the V tail rudder/elevator on the left stick and ailerons on the right, but how do I control the crow braking, camber, flap/elevator mix etc?

What do I have on my right hand 3x position switch?

Where do i enable the crow mix? From the right 3x position switch in a single position or as just from an another switch?

I was thinking of having the crow come on when I pull the throttle back, after about a quarter the way back from fully forward. Do I switch it in or have in all the time.

Do I need camber control? and do I use the left hand 2x position, or 3x position switch.

Any basic set up rules would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Rodders

Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Basic radio set up for a Blade 1.9 meter

If you are flying with Elevator on left and ailerons on the right you are flying Mode 1.  Can't help you with Mode 1. Most of the pilots on this forum fly Mode 2, elevator and ailerons on right.

This may not be exactly what you need, but these two links may be helpful until someone comes along with exactly what you need.

> Hitec Optic 6 - Set-up for a full house TD glider
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=233
> Choosing a Sailplane Radio - What to Consider
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an interesting thread to me since I don't own a A9. I have set up a couple of planes on others A9's and found it difficult to use and I didn't like the touch screen. When I asked about it here and on RCG I got the same answer from every one that posted, it is the easiest radio to program just follow the on-screen prompts. Maybe they were setting up simple planes without flaps or anything but to me I found it difficult.
That said I don't own one and tried a couple times with enough time in between to forget what I did. I'm not posting this to be negative, just to say I'm interested in your results.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

The important thing when doing this with an A9 is to have firmware update 1.08 installed. Without it the TX is all but usless in sailplane mode. The upgrade will turned the A9 into the most user friendly sailplane setup I have ever done. I was able to bench set up my Synergy 91 in 45 mins. The A9 will do mode 1 also. Remember if you do the TX update you will have to do the module and RX updates too. Not a big deal, the whole process thakes 20 min.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 AM
aeajr

Is that 1.08 new or has it been out for a while?   How does one check the update level on the transmitter, module and receiver?

Where can one find information about this?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My attempts were a year or more ago so it may not have had the updates, I assume not anyway. I hope it does make it better for sailplane users and others that have odd programing, example being my fun fly planes with spoilers, flaps and elevator compensation... I'd also be interested in the people that have the Hobby King 9ch radio and the add on software. That seems interesting too. Not to say that I want that discussed in this thread Ed.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

My attempts were a year or more ago so it may not have had the updates, I assume not anyway. I hope it does make it better for sailplane users and others that have odd programing, example being my fun fly planes with spoilers, flaps and elevator compensation... I'd also be interested in the people that have the Hobby King 9ch radio and the add on software. That seems interesting too.
Let's focus on the A9 as that is what the OPrequested. There are plenty of threads on other radios.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Turn on the TX, hit the File icon, then system, then info. The screen will then display what version software it has. I have no idea how long it has been out. But when I tried to set up the Synergy with V 1.06 if was a mess. I couldn't get the butterfly ( Crow ) to set up and it had no option to mix flaps to aileron. The flap section seemed to be linked in a manner that made adjusting the flaps seperatly impossible. V 1.08 fixed all that. You will need an HPP-22 module to do the update but also allows you to back up your models on your PC.