Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

servo glue ?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
da Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo glue ?

Faced for the first time with gluing in servos. Never wanted to do it but this wing has no room so I used the supplied fitted bolsters. I'd like to use something that can be defeated in the future if a servo needs rebuilding or replacing.

Anybody got a favorite that holds like it was permanent, but isn't?

BTW, I chose not to use heat shrink around the servo bodies as it'd only provide an easy way to remove the servo. The heat shrink and glue would still have to be defeated.

tia
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
wyowindworks

Default RE: servo glue ?

Once the shrink wrap is cut you can then grind out the shrink wrap and glue with a dremel tool. This is much faster than grinding out a servo.

You can use Household Goop. To remove the servo you drizzle in some toluene and "saw" the goop with dental floss. If it's a composite wing then the toluene can eat certain sandwich cores and mess up paint so you have to be careful.

Almost anything that bonds well enough to hold the servo into position will require some clean-up/grinding/sanding after removal. If it bonds too well then you will damage the wing trying to remove the servo. This is the great thing about taping or heat shrinking the servo. Cut the tape or shrinkwrap and very little force is required to get the servo removed. Once it's out othe way you have easy access to the pocket to grind out the adhesive.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

I use E-6000 available at most hardware and craft stores, even Walmart
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
TIA

JB Weld. Then you tell the wife, "Sorry honey, servo is broke. Need a new plane."

Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
UStik

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wyowindworks says, except I use special plumber's silicone. It's elastic (the wing can bend), seems chemically neutral, adheres well for several years, adheres to all materials (even the shrink-wrap plastic), yet most times you can even peel it off the wing structure after you cut the servo out of the shrink wrap.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

You didn't say if this was a composite or foamie.

For crunchies, I like to wrap the servo with masking tape. Then I wipe the tape with acetone (dont' soak, just wipe to remove any release residue from tape) before using epoxy with glass fiber fill. Goop is also good as WyoWind says but harder to remove later. If I have shrink tube which fits the servo, that's the best and easiest way for a quick release, bute I seldom have what I need on hand so masking tape works fine.

For foamies, I like foaming clear/white or yellow polyurethane (PU) glue best, especially if EPP is used as it penetrates the foam. Gorilla glue makes both types. When cured it chips off with a razor blade or hobby knife. The yellow is the best for penetration but it takes 2 hours to cure. White is good for quick fixes and when penetration isn't really desired. In either case, excess glue squeezes out and is easily trimmed with knife and/or forceps for tight spots where servos are buried.

Goop can be used in foamies also for absolutely the most durable bond, but it's much harder to service and takes much longer to cure for internally buried servos (several days for the smell to subside).

Joe
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The classic option is double sided foam tape. But I don't like to use it where I can't get a thin knife blade down through the tape later on to allow me to remove the servo.

Faced with such a job where servo tape isn't ideal I think I'd use hot glue. I'd apply it in dabs which glue to the structure while mechanically locking the servo in place. Typically servo plastics are not always that easy to glue. But if the hot glue "potted" itself around some corners then it would bond the servo in place initially. But it would also form mechanical joints which still hold the servo securely in the event the glue joint to the plastic failed from flexing.

To remove the servo the hot glue is easily cut away with regular knives or thin saws. Just don't go crazy with the amount of glue. I'd say that like the old Brylcream "a little dab'll do ya!"
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

I recently used silicone engine gasket maker

I glued in a piece of string under the the servo with loops on the ends so I could use it to saw out the silicone if it needs to be removed.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: lennyk

I recently used silicone engine gasket maker

I glued in a piece of string under the the servo with loops on the ends so I could use it to saw out the silicone if it needs to be removed.

The pre-installed string idea would win the RCU trophy for The Greatest Idea Read Today award.... if we gave one.

Or maybe the trophy should be labeled: Now there's a good idea.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
da Rock

oh, btw..........

I installed those servos with 'servo tape'. In shopping around for glues, I stumbled on 'mounting tape' at a couple of different hardware stores. Every time I saw it I thought, "heck, this is what servo mounting tape really is." Then it dawned on me that there was about five times the tape for half the price with the hardware store stuff, and I bought a package of it. If it isn't exactly the same stuff I'm a 5-legged, one winged tuna.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Epoxy works well.  To remove it you heat it with a heat gun. It softens and you scrape it out.  

Goop works well too IF the servo is in a tight fit.  As stated above you can cut it with dental floss. You glue the dental floss in with the servo.  Then, if you need to cut the goop, the floss is already in place.  

Then there are servo frames. You glue in the frame and attach the servo with screws.  This works very well.  
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 AM
da Rock

The glider is an Avia by TopModelCZ. The installation of the servos in the wing is custom, with a capital 'C'. They don't exactly shoe horn in but close.

The servos mount on their side and are exactly the thickness of the wing where they are positioned. Using any servo that is thicker than the couple they recommend means the servo hatches won't seat flat. Thos hatches are actually covers that were vacu-formed to shape. They are molded to fit and are glued in place. They're not strong enough to support servo blocks. No room or provision for screwing down, the concept applied to most of the design. Also, TopModelCZ provides cast 'blocks' that glue inside the compartment to the inside top of the wing that have slots the servo's mounting flanges fit exactly. The flanges are snugly enclosed. There is no provision for screws through the flange holes and no expectation of doing that kind of mounting at all. To do so, you'd have to mount blocks on the hatch covers and have a way to mount the hatch covers. Needless to say, the provided covers aren't up to that task.

The entire design of the Avia seems to be for absolute, no holds barred weight reduction. TopModelCZ's picture "instruction sheet" shows a picture of the servos being 5 minute epoxied into the compartment. Trust me, if you did that, getting them out with a heat gun would not be pretty. Blowing into the compartment is going to have repercussions. Blowing against the other side of the wing is an obvious way to get close to the epoxy, but that side is covering, wood of unknown species, and a layer of glass cloth, all between the epoxy and the heat gun. An iron might work better. In any case it could be risky, the reason I was asking about other glues.

That Avia is quite a piece of work. I've flown it one good session so far and it's quite a performer. There has been a price for the performance. The "instructions" themselves are not of value to beginners and should hint that to whomever looks them over. You're not going to read them over, as they're just pictures so reading isn't of much importance.

I've used the servo tape to hold the servos down. It will work well. I've got some gunstock tools that will work well to defeat that tape if needed. The covers are glued on with canopy glue and it's defeatable with a thin blade. When I asked the question I was concerned with the thickness of the servo mounting tape and humorously, had limited experience with 'normal' glues.

This thread has gotten a lot of good info. Hope it'll be useful to many.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would use goop with the embedded waxed dental floss. Floss is very strong. I use the unwaxed version in place of carbon and kevlar tow and have never had a failure.