Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Wind speed limits?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind speed limits?

I want to build another leading edge gliders P-40 but a 48 inch this time and I don't know why I never asked before but what is about the max wind speed a sail plane like this can take? I plan to fly it off this mountain when I build it the black arrow is where I will launch it and fly from Ive been up there before
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind speed limits?

In general, a slope gliders wind limitation is the pilots skill and the vertical component of lift at your site. I've flown a 36" slope glider weighing 10 ounces in 55 mph winds and enjoyed myself. I've also flown a 5 lb glider and had no fun at all. If the slope in high wind doesn't generate much of a vertical vector then you will need a lot of weight to keep the glider from blowing back. Adding lead can help.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally you keep adding weight to increase wing loading up to the point where the wings break.  [X(]

How much wind did you have in mind?   100 mph?   10 mph?

My typical slope soaring days are between 7 and 20 mph.   Any of my planes can take that with enough ballast.  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait, there's a good site in Austin??? I never found one.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Just a reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oix6s...eature=related
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 AM

*Unbelievable* video!!! How much does one of those carbon fiber gliders cost? Brand? Site to purchase?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 AM

You can get the record holding planes HERE and HERE. They range from $350 (40") to $3800 for the 100" Kinetic (last I heard). You can get several 80" DS planes in the $1400 range. The larger birds usually require $500 in servos...often more.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Thanks!  Looking forward to your comment on my other post (about gliding flying wings in high winds).
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2m I built back in the 80s. It's your run of the mill builtup rudder/elevator, a pure thermal glider with polyhedral wing. I built it with a plywood ballast that could be put in while rubber banding on the wing. The box would hold just over a pound of lead.

I cast my own bullets so cast a couple of fitted weights. One was 8 oz, the other 16. Moderate days would get the half-pound weight, heavy days the heavy weight. I don't ever remember us not going sloping because the wind was too much, unless it was also below zero. ahhh those Minnesnowta days.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I've got a 2m I built back in the 80s. It's your run of the mill builtup rudder/elevator, a pure thermal glider with polyhedral wing. I built it with a plywood ballast that could be put in while rubber banding on the wing. The box would hold just over a pound of lead.

I cast my own bullets so cast a couple of fitted weights. One was 8 oz, the other 16. Moderate days would get the half-pound weight, heavy days the heavy weight. I don't ever remember us not going sloping because the wind was too much, unless it was also below zero. ahhh those Minnesnowta days.
Most of my slope soaring is done in the winter on Long Island, NY. Most of the time it is below 40, but sometimes it is in the teens. I have built up a pile of cold weather tools to make the cold weather flying fun, but it is still cold.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Here's a video</span> <span class="hps">in high winds conditions</span> <span class="hps">(about</span> <span class="hps">45mph)</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">This</span> <span class="hps">is called</span> <span class="hps">foehn</span> <span class="hps">wind</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">He blows</span> <span class="hps">relatively constant</span> <span class="hps">and</span> <span class="hps">usually</span> <span class="hps">several days</span><span>.</span> <span class="hps">The launch site</span> <span class="hps">is located</span> <span class="hps">in the Swiss Alps</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">The model is a</span> <span class="hps">Redback</span> <span class="hps">EPP</span> <span class="hps atn">60 "</span><span>span</span> <span class="hps">of EPP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgr7pbgh2g
</span>
<span class="hps"></span></span><span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">enjoy

</span></span></span><span class="hps">Alain</span></span>
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

The Redback in the Alps is fantastic!!!!