Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Handlaunch desgin question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
nazgul113044

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlaunch desgin question

I have been flying sailplanes and electrics for quite awhile and now I am getting into hand launch gliders. Why do the vertical stabilizer and rudder on so many HLGs protuded so far down past the carbon rod fuselage. I would think that landings would subject the vertical stabilizer to damage from any landings. On all of my other sailplanes the stabs, rubber, and elevtors are put up as high as possible to help stob damage from hitting something on landing.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Handlaunch desgin question

The discus launched planes are subject to strong centrifugal forces during the launch. It is entirely possible the layout you question would balance the force the tail exacts on the fuselage during the launch. Since a lot of those fuselages are carbon fiber tubes and would have little problem resisting the twisting, the answer could be the problem the fin to fuselage glue joints would have. Then again, it's quite possible the balanced arrangement is style. Or an attempt to reduce rudder couple.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM
wyowindworks

First off, the modern hand launch glider is not landed, but rather it's caught. The balanced vertical stabilizer allows the airframe to be built for maximum stiffness for least amount of weight. It's also is the most aerodynamically efficient.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
nazgul113044

Thanks for your reply. The hand catch makes sense.