Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 20181c
Going to purchase a Radian Pro after reading all the reviews and seeing this thread.
The stock Pro flies nice but the mods will totally transform it into a very nice sailplane. For what it is, it performs very well.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Guys, new radian pro owner here and loving it

I noticed someone looking for a dx9 setup, I'm in the same boat, I've done what I can by myself, but I'm sure there's a better way, so if anyone has a DX9/18 setup for the RP they want to share I'd greatly appreciate it.

Shane
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Shane, I'm running the stock DX5E setup with my Radian (Not Pro). Others here might be running different setups though. It's just kind of hard to get everyone talking about something...
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by knifemaker
A cure for the sore neck/aching back is to fly like an old person. Launch the plane, climb to altitude, park your butt in a plastic chair, slouch down and enjoy the flight.
Just be sure not to prop yourself back on the two back legs of those plastic chairs. One of the back legs will always bust off and you'll go for a spill.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by 20181c
Going to purchase a Radian Pro after reading all the reviews and seeing this thread.
Which version are you going to get if you've not got it already? If you get PNP, get a receiver which will allow you to utilize full options such as crow, flex, and camber. It's not mandatory but it is nice to have those options to play around with. A programmable transmitter is also a nice feature to have when setting up the Radian for various flight conditions, but again, it's not mandatory, it just makes it more interesting and fun.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 03-25-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
McDaver

Tbatt,
What mods are you talking about? I recently bought a Radian Pro and would be interested in doing some mods if it makes the RP a better sailplane. Even without any mods it seems to be a great flyer. I'm a new sailplane pilot though so I don't have much to compare it to. I come from a powered airplane and elect Heli background. The other day I took the RP out for a flight and was able to catch my first thermal. It climbed in circles without me giving much input. I trimmed it out to where it flew very slow and at the point of stalling. It climbed so high I was loosing vision of it's orientation so I dumped the flaps to bring it down. Can't wait to take it up again after this weather clears here in NorCal.

Last edited by McDaver; 03-25-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
BrokenSpoke

Joined the coalition yesterday. Been looking at the Radian for almost a year, used to fly gliders in the 80's in CA, and picked up the RTF Radian at the LHS. Put it together with my 12 year old son last night and weather permitting will try and get out there tonight after work.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM
DieHarder

Hey, sounds like you did what I did. But with background experience, you will not crash nearly as much as I did. It's a simple 3ch and very easy to fly! Sorry on the late reply. I guess everyone has forgotten about the thread for a month or so. Maybe these posts will revive it. How did your flight go? (Or anybody else's?)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM
DieHarder

Hey, I just had the local hobby shop set aside a new fuselage, horizontal tail wing, battery, and a new decal set. I finally got some spare cash and I want to get this thing in the air. I didn't order any new wings as I think my current ones will do alright. The leading edges have some small dents and missing foam though. Last time I had issues with missing chunks, I filled them with Gorilla Glue and sanded it down. These dents aren't nearly as big. It just kinda looks like someone hit some small brush with all the leading edges. (That someone was me who hit blueberry bushes upon landing when I first started flying it.) I was wondering if there was an easier way to both fix and protect my leading edges. I thought I saw it somewhere where this guy used like blue shipping tape and folded it around the leading edges. Would that work?

Another thing is the visibility factor when I'm flying high. Someone on here posted a video a page or two back on modifications that might have contained some info on how to mod the underside of the wings. (Painting them) Excuse me for not going and looking up the video, but I'm posting this out because I want to have some discussion on how well all those mods work and get some reviews from the locals. I got thinking, instead of just painting the underside of the wings, how about giving most of the whole plane a paint job? Will going crazy with the paint effect the weigh factor or lack of motor power due to added paint weight?

What color should I paint my undersides that would somewhat match the decal color scheme? I have the original Radian so the color scheme is green, blue, and white.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Ernie Misner

Do you have the Radian or the Radian Pro (with ailerons and flaps)? I am thinking of getting a Radian Pro, and it would be my first powered glider. I used to fly hand launch. The original Radian is no longer available, right? So the Pro must be a little heavier, less dihedral, etc. with the extra servos and ailerons. Does it still thermal well? Thanks for any input on the Pro.....
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 AM
DieHarder

The original is actually still available: http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...tric-Sailplane So is the PNP: http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...tric-Sailplane

I have the original (The ones I gave URLs for above) and really enjoy it. I was glad I got a 3CH when I was just starting out, but now I think I'm ready for ailerons. I'm not sure if I can just put Pro wings on it or if it's more complicated. The Pro weighs 4.6oz more than the original. From what I've heard from some of the members here is that it thermals almost as good the original. From my LHS they told me that the original thermalled WAY BETTER than the Pro, but they are always trying to drag a buyer in for what they have in stock. I think both of them are great even though I've never flown a Pro. At this point I wish I got a Pro, but having the 3CH for starting out was great because it is simple.

Now if you already have gliding experience and are familiar with ailerons and all that, then I say you should get the Pro. I'm a beginner flyer and I'll admit it, but I've done tens of hours of research and window shopping via the internet, so I have a pretty good idea of what's available and what's possible. Obviously I have more research ahead of me to figure out what it takes to put ailerons on an original... lol
Old 05-17-2014, 05:33 AM
DieHarder

Ok, so I've been doing some painting on my Radian. So far the spinner has given me the most trouble, but I almost have it looking good. Because of the shape and that you can't get any of the sides a horizontal surface, it's hard to apply this thin paint that I have (Don't know why it's so thin. It was fine earlier.) with no sags. I've resanded it and will be giving it a final coat today with a new paint. It should go better. I have no problem painting foam parts of the fuselage. I have some more painting to do today, and then tomorrow I'm clear coating everything with Krylon Clear and starting assembly Monday. I still have to fix up the wings and paint/clear coat those yet too.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM
DieHarder

I finally finished painting! I went down to my neighbor's open field to do the new fuselage's maiden flight. It went very well. Only trimming needed was the elevator, which I easily adjusted within the first 30 seconds. It seems to have a nice glide to it. I found that with the new fuselage and the few mods/paint that the CG moved back about 1/4". No big deal. I hear a little back on the CG helps it thermal better. It did well catching the drafts and staying high. My paint job turned out awesome and everything is clear coated and protected. I made 4 different flights down at the neighbors. 3 of 4 landings were great. One time I dropped it a bit abruptly and set er down harder than normal. Everything stayed together though and I'm happy to have it complete and back in it's original corner in my room, ready for the next windy adventure I throw at it.

What kinda fly'in had everyone else been doing?!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently flew in an electric glider ALES contest. I flew an electric Supra but my Radian was my back-up glider.

Sunday I will be flying winch launched gliders.

Congratulations on the flight of your Radian.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks for the great info DieHarder! Are you using spray paint, or? Preparing the foam first, how? I got the little tiny UMX Radian and a new DX9 transmitter. Have been finishing up other stuff and have not had it out yet, but will soon. At only 1.5 oz. (!!) the tiny Radian should thermal well but it will get small too quick obviously. Then my next glider will probably be the Radian Pro as you suggested. I started years ago with a Gentle Lady and high start launching, then did some slope, and then a lot of hand launch gliders. Now I fly mostly glow aerobatic and 3D planes but still love the quality of gliders. I'm an old motorhead so am really just learning electrics......
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
DieHarder

aeajr - Thanks! Neat, a contest would be really cool to do, but I probably don't fly well enough yet to do well. Radian backup FTW!

Ernie - I used Rustoleum spray paint. On foam parts I cleaned them with a wet rag, let them air dry for a couple hours, then I painted them. One the white plastic pieces and clear plastic pieces, I gave them a good sanding, cleaned the dust off with lacquer thinner, let them air dry for 5 min, then painted them. I applied 2-3 coats to everything I painted, plus 3 thin clear coats to seal it all in. I used all Rustoleum products and I had no 'paint eating foam' issues. I even painted a design directly on the bare fuselage with Rustoleum and it turned out great! I'll get some pics up soon.

I also applied some colored shipping tape I got from Staples to the leading edge of the main wings. It both covers up some of my repairs and protects it from future impacts. It looks cool too! All they had for colors were a bunch of 'girly' designs, so I did my best and went for some neon light green. It doesn't go with the paint scheme but I don't care. I transferred my upgraded pushrod arm setscrew thingies also from the old plane. I bought a new battery too.

Better get that 1.5oz thing out! I think the Radian weighs like 30oz and the pro a little more. Can't wait to hear how Parkzone's new model flies!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey man, you do fun stuff! I wonder how much weight you added with the paint? Good to know that brand does not eat foam!!! I flew a glow plane today so haven't got to the tiny Radian yet. It takes a tiny 150mah single cell lipo battery. Gotta use the supplied USB charger. Keep up the good work.... oh, 2 big Radians at the field today, One Pro and one standard. The Pro guy was a better pilot and he got some nice thermals!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:12 PM
DieHarder

Cool! The Pro is much more agile. I think it's probably the best Radian to get.

For those tiny little 1S batteries, you should get something like this: http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...o-w-AC-Adapter My dad bought me one for my MCX2. He got a really good deal because he bought multiple batteries with it. It came in a package sort of thing. I looked up the charger just now on Amain (Linked above) and saw it now costs $58. WOW my like new charger is worth a fortune! lol He says he didn't pay nothing like that. Also I have two of these single chargers that I despise because they only do one and I never use them: http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...apter-Jack-03A $15.50 on a special! I have two brand new ones sitting in my workbench drawer. If you want one of those single charger things, I can ship you one free. I hate seeing them and they get in my way. I never use them because I have my four place charger. Otherwise they will just remain there until I find a use for them. Maybe I can wire two together....
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Ernie Misner

Would the little single cell charger (that you have two of) actually be any better than the USB charger that came with my tiny Radian? I got a 12V adaptor for that so I can use it in my truck too. That sure is a nice offer to send me one though. When you've used it did you put AA's in it (kinda retarded huh?!!) or do you have the power supply for it? Do you know if there's any kind of an adapter cord that can be plugged straight into the tiny one cell lipo's, then plugged into a regular charger? I have a Thunder Power charger but haven't even looked to see of it will do 1 cell yet. I wonder if Hobby King has anything to offer in the way of these little 1 cell batteries or a charger.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by DieHarder
aeajr - Thanks! Neat, a contest would be really cool to do, but I probably don't fly well enough yet to do well. Radian backup FTW!

snip...
Take a look at these videos. Note the first one is almost all Radians

ALES group launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Xo...feature=relmfu

Landings and launches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcgsEOsReQ

RCA highlight reel from Polecat - One of the larges ALES contests in the country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfnWMQdCGc

Last edited by aeajr; 06-05-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 AM
DieHarder

Not sure. It might have a fast charging rate. It takes 4 AA batteries and has a port for a power supply also. It just has the standard 12v circular plug port on it, so finding a power supply wouldn't be much of an issue as they are quite common. If you want to use it on your truck, you could put a cigarette lighter plug at the beginning a your 12v power supply. With that, you wouldn't need the transformer because it's 12v coming from the truck so you could put the plug just after the transformer. Just a couple thoughts. You don't have to feel compelled to ok me sending you one, I was just offering. But it sounds like your USB already has a good setup. Just letting you know that if you ever need one, just give a holler. I plan to take one of my mini chargers apart and see if I can make an adapter using the plug in the charger to fit my Venom Pro charger. It might take some soldering... HK would be a good place to check.
Originally Posted by Ernie Misner
Would the little single cell charger (that you have two of) actually be any better than the USB charger that came with my tiny Radian? I got a 12V adaptor for that so I can use it in my truck too. That sure is a nice offer to send me one though. When you've used it did you put AA's in it (kinda retarded huh?!!) or do you have the power supply for it? Do you know if there's any kind of an adapter cord that can be plugged straight into the tiny one cell lipo's, then plugged into a regular charger? I have a Thunder Power charger but haven't even looked to see of it will do 1 cell yet. I wonder if Hobby King has anything to offer in the way of these little 1 cell batteries or a charger.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM
DieHarder

Ok, I have some pics of my rebuilt Radian, check it out!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00505.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	2004081   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00506.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	2004082   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00507.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2004085   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00508.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	2004087   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00509.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2004088   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00510.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2004089   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00511.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	2004090   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00512.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	2004091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00514.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2004092   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00516.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2004093  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Well Done!! That's really nice.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:02 PM
aeajr

Kinda breezy today, 10+ mph but my Radian and I decided it was a good day to go flying. Grabbed the Radian box, with everything I need inside, and headed to the field. On the second launch I added a ballast rod so it would penetrate better.

Over the next 90 minutes I went through 2 batteries. Didn't find any thermal lift but I found some good wave lift that gave me a nice ride.

Did a number of landings on an ALES landing tape. Did pretty well.

Love this grab and go e-glider.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 PM
DieHarder

Nice! So the ballast rod again is a solid rod replacing the black wing attaching one? Sorry if I forgot. I might have to try something like that...

I had a similar experience at the club on Thursday. Was a lot of fun catching the wind rides. We had a big thermal at the south end of the field too that another guy and I would resort to during other pilot's takeoffs. Was nice. I got about 45min on 1.5 batteries. Used a lot of full throttle to keep ahead of some of the gas and nitro planes. Then when I got around to the south end, I would let them go by. Worked well.

Mulligan- Thanks! Took awhile but definitely worth it! I can now spread the word about Rustoleum on Z foam...
Originally Posted by aeajr
Kinda breezy today, 10+ mph but my Radian and I decided it was a good day to go flying. Grabbed the Radian box, with everything I need inside, and headed to the field. On the second launch I added a ballast rod so it would penetrate better.

Over the next 90 minutes I went through 2 batteries. Didn't find any thermal lift but I found some good wave lift that gave me a nice ride.

Did a number of landings on an ALES landing tape. Did pretty well.

Love this grab and go e-glider.

Last edited by DieHarder; 06-14-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.