Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~

Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had my Radian since they first came out. My first RC model was a sailplane so I've had an interest in the type since the early 70's in spite of many scale aircraft. Crashed the first because the tail feathers were held in place by scotch tape per the instructions and straight down is not a good landing approach. Second one did not survive pilot error. Third one flies perfectly and a good thermal day is good for many 1/2 hour flights or until the batteries fade. We have used Radians for primary trainers because they are an honest, forgiving model.

ballguner
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
DieHarder

That's good to know. I think I'm going to try and glue it first though. No harm in trying if I might end up getting a new fuselage later anyway... Thanks anyway! I might need this post if it doesn't go well.
Originally Posted by FBaity View Post
The servos are easy to remove. Take a hobby knife with a # 11 blade and carefully cut around the parameter of the two servos deep enough to ensure they are separated from the foam, take care not to cut servo leads. Then use medium pressure and pull the servos from the fuselage. Re-install using any type rtv / clear rubber sealer from a tube.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 PM
DieHarder

Glad to see another face! I did the nose dive into the ground over 5 times when I first started flying. I taught myself, so there were a lot of crashes like that. In fact, because of those crashes, the front part of my fuselage is shorter and the canopy hangs over the firewall about 1/4". I've tried stretching it out, but I don't want it to rip off. It doesn't look bad or anything, so I'm just gonna try and leave it.
Originally Posted by ballgunner View Post
Have had my Radian since they first came out. My first RC model was a sailplane so I've had an interest in the type since the early 70's in spite of many scale aircraft. Crashed the first because the tail feathers were held in place by scotch tape per the instructions and straight down is not a good landing approach. Second one did not survive pilot error. Third one flies perfectly and a good thermal day is good for many 1/2 hour flights or until the batteries fade. We have used Radians for primary trainers because they are an honest, forgiving model.

ballguner
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66805
Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
DieHarder

Thanks! I'll work on that.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
bozodude

GLUE IT !! I use beacon foam-tac. I'll send you some pics. They should give you the confidence it will all be fine. There is a bottle and a half of glue in that fuse and tail parts. Many many breaks only held together by the control wires, and when they ripped out held by the decals! Once after a full throttle power dive into the ground it just accordioned into a pile of packing material. When I picked it up, it was like one of those hinged toy snakes. Its also a bit rewarding having it fly again. cheers!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Wheats

I recently added a Radian Pro to my RC hangar and seeing that it is my first powered glider, I am looking for a little help with the radio setup and mixing. I have a DX9 radio and it appears all the full house setup files are for the DX6/7/8 which uses different programming than the DX9/18. Does anyone have a setup file for the DX9/18? Being new to reflex, camber and crow, it's not something I want to dive into blindly. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
SushiHunter

Going on two months ago I also added a Radian Pro to my "collection". It was the PNP because I have a Futaba transmitter and the stock rx that comes with the BNF isn't compatible. Yeah, I've had a few "hard" landings but it's survived very well so far. I've had to repair some damaged/cracked foam on the fuse, primarily around the nose right behind the spinner and underside of the canopy areas. In my situation, I used two part resin to do the repairs since I have much of that type of materials on hand from my previous a/c builds. For the first two months I've flown the Radian Pro at stock settings. I'm now in the process of programming the camber, flex and especially crow flight conditions. The starboard flap servo stopped working maybe two to three weeks ago and I've not used the flaps during flights because of that. Only down side to not having the flaps is the landings are fast paced. It does take a more considerable amount of room to land compared to having the flaps. I've got a new servo on order and the hobby shop should be getting that in next week sometime. Once I swap out the servo, I can then move onto doing all the programming.

I love this bird. I've only flown glow up until around two months ago when I got this Radian Pro. What I love about this Radian is how I can get it way up, cut off the motor and just take it easy and soar around a while. That is definitely a really nice change from the faster paced glow birds I've flown for years and years. What I also love about the Radian Pro is that it has ailerons. Maybe because of my glow flying experience, but I really prefer flying planes that have ailerons compared to those that do not.

At any rate, it's a really fun bird to fly. I even may purchase a second one after this current one gets dinged up too much, since this first one was my "starter" electric glider and there was a little learning curve involved with it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
SushiHunter

Had the Radian up yesterday afternoon. Had to take advantage of the great weather we've been having in CA. Each battery gives me roughly 5 to 6 minutes of total thrust time and that works out to roughly 20 to 40 minutes of total flight time between battery changes, depending on wind conditions. Loving it, but the only downside to keeping it up that long between batteries is my neck starts to hurt from looking up for so long.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
aeajr

As you get better at finding thermals you flight time per battery will go up. I rarely get less than 1 hour out of a battery.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
DieHarder

I had the same issues with the cracking around the nose part underneath the firewall. I glued it with some two part epoxy. It fell apart when landing at the airport club. I came in for a landing after impressing a bunch of people, and ruined the impression when the entire firewall, battery, esc, and motor all came out the front of the plane. I was still about 20ft off the ground when it happened. There was about a foot of electronic guts stranded out hanging and swaying from the front of the plane. I though I had the landing about right, but then the stuff swayed forward and up pretty high, then pull the nose of the plane back down as if it had stalled, and crashed nose first into the ground at like a 70 degree angle. It's still broken here. I haven't fixed it because I won't be able to fly it as here in Michigan we have 2 ft of snow, -2* with a -25* wind chill. It's been snowing for the past few days, and it's really piling up. I also have been having RC truck issues too. I built an RC plow truck and made two different videos.

Long Video (More plowing shots): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3O1xlpmLgI

Short Video (Simply and has music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqMo03QuJU
Originally Posted by SushiHunter View Post
Going on two months ago I also added a Radian Pro to my "collection". It was the PNP because I have a Futaba transmitter and the stock rx that comes with the BNF isn't compatible. Yeah, I've had a few "hard" landings but it's survived very well so far. I've had to repair some damaged/cracked foam on the fuse, primarily around the nose right behind the spinner and underside of the canopy areas. In my situation, I used two part resin to do the repairs since I have much of that type of materials on hand from my previous a/c builds. For the first two months I've flown the Radian Pro at stock settings. I'm now in the process of programming the camber, flex and especially crow flight conditions. The starboard flap servo stopped working maybe two to three weeks ago and I've not used the flaps during flights because of that. Only down side to not having the flaps is the landings are fast paced. It does take a more considerable amount of room to land compared to having the flaps. I've got a new servo on order and the hobby shop should be getting that in next week sometime. Once I swap out the servo, I can then move onto doing all the programming.

I love this bird. I've only flown glow up until around two months ago when I got this Radian Pro. What I love about this Radian is how I can get it way up, cut off the motor and just take it easy and soar around a while. That is definitely a really nice change from the faster paced glow birds I've flown for years and years. What I also love about the Radian Pro is that it has ailerons. Maybe because of my glow flying experience, but I really prefer flying planes that have ailerons compared to those that do not.

At any rate, it's a really fun bird to fly. I even may purchase a second one after this current one gets dinged up too much, since this first one was my "starter" electric glider and there was a little learning curve involved with it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:20 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
As you get better at finding thermals you flight time per battery will go up. I rarely get less than 1 hour out of a battery.
How do you deal with the neck issue? An hour is a very long time to be looking up, IMO
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
SushiHunter

Hey DieHarder, Don't know what to tell you about the repairs you made to your Radian. I've had to do two serious repair jobs on mine so far and they've both held up flawlessly to date. I use a two part epoxy to fix mine, of course the type that is foam safe. First repair was made when I nosed it in from about twenty feet up and at an right turn angle. Key to that repair was removing all the electronics from the nose area (motor, ESC, Battery) With all that out, makes accessing the inside of the fuse much easier and the repair much more thorough. Next repair was last weekend, belly landed in a parking lot and while it was skidding to a stop, clipped a light pole foundation with the horizontal stab. Didn't hurt the horizontal stab, but the jolt from the impact broke the vertical stab. I had it back up in the air four hours later without incident.

Yeah, I've been hearing about the cold in those parts recently. Wow, you must be getting our usual cold on top of your usual cold, because over the past number of weeks, it's been clear skies, hardly any wind and highs in the low 70's to upper 60's. It's been great for us in California this winter so far.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 PM
DieHarder

I didn't explain myself correctly, sorry. It broke at the airport for the first time, and then I took it home and glued it. That part of the plane has been fine since.

When I said that it's still sitting here broken, I meant that it's still broken from my most recent crash where it ripped the tail assembly off. Sorry, that last post there was pretty screwed up...

Here are some pics that are current:

1st: You can see the blueberry field behind our house through those trees there. That's mainly my flying field.
2nd: The end of the deck, you can see that white pine tree in both pictures, so you have an idea where that's at. Both pics face south.
3rd: Caught a little bird on the feeder there. The feeder is mounted to the deck post with an old modded satellite dish mount.
4th: Facing north out the front door. You can see the field across the road, I fly over there too every now and then.

Those were taken from the inside through windows. The first three still have screens on the windows, so not the nicest shots...

It's up to 7*F with a decent 20-25mph wind. Skies are cloudy, and because it's quarter after 5:00 here, the light is starting to dim. We've gotten over 16" of snow in the past 3.5 days. I wish I was out there in CA flyin my Radian FIXED and sitting in a law chair over a large, open field. Not happening here, let me tell ya...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8561.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1955249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8562.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1955250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8563.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	944.1 KB
ID:	1955251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8564.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1955252  
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
SushiHunter

@DieHarder, Ok I understand now.

About the weather your having, I would gladly trade you my Radian and a nice warm sunny day for a cold night with your wood burning stove/fireplace. I miss having a nice hot fire to sit in front of at night. What would the shipping cost be for that They basically have outlawed that activity where I live in CA.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-07-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 PM
DieHarder

LOL!! No fires in fireplaces out in CA?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
LOL!! No fires in fireplaces out in CA?
Not all of CA but one of the places which can't burn is in the area where I live. They have people looking around at night for smoke coming out of Chimney's and if they find one, they issue them a ticket. Some people I know who go around this law/rule remove/disable their home's heater system to where the only source of heating is through the use of a wood burning stove/fireplace. In that situation, they are the only one's allowed to burn. This is why on Christmas there is a local tv station that plays a video of a fireplace being operated. I think it's a four hour video, non-stop, even includes showing someone's hand using a poker on it every so often to give it that "real" look. So people will turn on the tv during Christmas morning and turn their tv into a "live" fireplace for four hours.

So you mention sitting in a chair while flying your Radian. Is it one of those portable outdoor folding chairs? I'm thinking of getting one of those big enough to where I can rest my head on a headrest so my neck doesn't hurt so much.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-08-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM
DieHarder

That's burning law seems pretty ridiculous. Must be because of all the wild fires out there, or something... Here, you can burn anything you want inside or out (Except house heating wood burning stoves are getting kinda rare, and it only really goes over well if your "Grandfathered in". Outside, you can have any sized campfire up to 4' in diameter. Any larger and you go down to the township offices and get a free burning permit for any size, as long as it stays on your lot. We had to do that when we burned all the pine stumps that were pulled out of our yard. The pile was approximately 25' diameter and 25-30' high. It was quite the awesome blaze!

Yeah on the chair. Like if you have a nice patio set, you can take one of the chairs out to your field or wherever you fly. Otherwise they make a lot of nice adjustable folding chairs with headrests. Kinda like a sun tanning chair... If I used one, I'd have the back pretty straight up so I wouldn't be looking so much right into the sun, know what I mean?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
SushiHunter

It's Thursday and I'm getting quite anxious to get the Radian out again this weekend! Supposed to have a small chance of rain on Saturday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen until I've gone through two fully charged batteries. Plus got a call from the hobby shop yesterday, the replacement flap servo is in for pickup so I can now install that and use flaps again. Coming in hot was exciting as ever but it will be sort of nice not having to be an entire football field length out during final approach to slow her down enough so she doesn't skid a hundred feet in the parking lot. The road rash on her belly and aileron control horns is starting to really add up

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-09-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM
DieHarder

How did the Radian flight go? (Sorry, I'm a week or two late.)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

My first RC flying was with sailplanes so I have a soft spot for them. I have thermaled my Radian for over for over 1/2 hour many times.
I still fly airplanes and sail RC boats but always like to have a relaxing afternoon with the Radian. I convinced a couple of club members
that they too should fly the best sailplane I've ever owned.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 AM
aeajr

USING BALLAST TO HANDLE MORE WIND

The Radian and the Pro are great but how comfortable are you flying them as the wind picks up. I am an experienced glider pilot but as the wind speed passes about 8 mph I find the Radian is getting a bit challenging and the fun starts to fade. By adding ballast I can extend the flight envelope to be more suitable for windy conditions. I have had my Radian up in 15 mph winds though, even with ballast 15 again finds me changing to something else.

So, how to add ballast to the Radian and the Pro? Use the hollow wing rod.

Go to Lowes, Home Depot or similar and buy a smooth steel rod and cut it to the length of the hollow wing rod. You can get them in several sizes. The one in my Radian box is about half the diameter of the hole in the wing rod and I think it is about 5 ounces. At 28 ounces for the Radian, a 5 ounce wing rod is about 17% of the glider's weight. So I am raising the wing loading by about 17%.

The higher the wing loading the faster the Radian will want to glide. That means it can handle higher wind speeds. It also means that the extra weight "damps" the glider somewhat making it less prone to being tossed around by gusts.

Now, this also makes it less sensitive to thermals, but it is a compromise that has to be struck in order to keep flying.

When taking the Radian to the slope, if the breeze and the lift is light I may fly it without the ballast rod. But if the lift is stronger I will add the rod to get that faster glide.

I may get a heavier rod that fully fills the Radian's wing rod. That would be about 9 ounces I would guess. That would be about a 32% ballast, raising the wing loading 32% and again increasing the glide speed allowing me to fly the Radian in stronger slope winds.

If you have not tried using ballast with your Radian or your Radian Pro, give it a try. I think you will like it.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
aeajr

The Radian has been so popular that many pilots add the Radian Pro and want to set it up on the DX5e that comes with the Radian RTF. I prepared this to help people with that. Naturally you can do more and more easily with a more advanced computer radio and expecially with a sailplane radio, but even the DX5e can fly a full house sailplane.

Setting Up a Full House e-Glider on a
Spektrum DX5e and a 5 Channel Receiver.

by Ed Anderson

Many pilots start on an RTF
Radian which comes with a DX5e and a 5 channel receiver. They look to move to a
Radian Pro, Mystique or some other type of full house glider. However they see
a barrier in having to buy an expensive radio to set-up that full house glider,
so they don’t buy it. The following is a sample set-up for the DX5e for a full
house glider. It is not equal to what you can do on a sailplane radio but it
demonstrates how much you can do. Remember that pilots were flying full house
gliders before there were computer radios.

Once implemented on a
full house glider, using a DX5e or any other 5 or 6 channel standard, non-mixing
radio you will have:

- Ailerons, elevator, rudder, fully variable flaps and motor control.

- The DX5e also gives me a 70% dual rate setting that will be handy when in a thermal.

- Aileron differential set-up mechanically using the control horns. That is how it was
done before there were computer radios.

- Flap based reflex, thermal camber and landing control with manual flap to elevator compensation.

- Aileron to rudder coordination done manually using two sticks for coordinated turns, like a full scale pilot.

Now you have everything you need to fly
the Radian Pro, the Mystique or any other full house glider. You can use this
to win ALES contests and to enjoy thermal soaring for the next 20 years without
having to buy an expensive and complex sailplane radio. The sailplane
computer radio does this better and more easily and provides greater
flexibility. Just don’t let anyone tell you that you have to have a sailplane
radio to fly full house sailplanes, because you don’t.

-----------

Throttle on channel 5/gear switch - full on or full off for launch and to help you get back to the landing area.

Elevator on right stick - as usual

Ailerons on Y cable, right stick – if you want differential set it up mechanically, the old fashioned way. I think the Radian Pro BnF comes that way.

Rudder on left stick in usual place

Flaps on Y cable - Set them both facing the same way so you
can use a standard Y cable. If they are facing opposite, using a reversing Y cable

* set it up so when throttle stick is full forward, flaps are
neutral when throttle trim is centered.

* set it up so you can get 1-2 mm
of raised flap using the throttle trim button. If that does not work, then put a
small spacer in front of the throttle so it can't go all the way forward. Set
for neutral flaps when the spacer is in place. When you want reflex just flip
this spacer out of the way and the throttle moves forward and gives you 1 to 2
mm of reflex on the flaps.

* set it up so you get 2 to 3 mm down flap for
thermal camber using the throttle trim button. Alternate is to mark on the radio
where to move the throttle stick to get that 2-3 mm for thermal camber
setting.

* Set up flaps to get 60+ degrees down flap when throttle stick
is moved all the way back. You will have to apply down elevator compensation
manually to compensate for increased lift or the nose will balloon up and
stall. This just takes practice. Now you have fully variable flap based
landing control.

Of course, your smileage may vary.

Last edited by aeajr; 01-22-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
aeajr

As many Radian pilots are first time glider pilots these might also be useful resources:

> Performance Tuning Gliders
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=227

TUNING THE ELEVATOR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0SqTPv3PQ

> Using Ballast
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=232

> Test Flight Procedures
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226

> Choosing a Sailplane
Radio - What to Consider

http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

Using the Rudder in Thermal Flying –
By Dr. Mark Drela

http://www.polecataero.com/handlaunc...thermal-flying

> How Slope Soaring Works
> http://users.iafrica.com/s/st/stevemac/afc/ssoar.html

Slope Soaring - over the rainbow - may favorite slope
video ever - And yes, you can do this with a Radian or a Pro
http://www.dwhs.tnc.edu.tw/~andycheng/wmv/200502.wmv

Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
aeajr

As many Radian pilots are first time glider pilots these might also be useful resources:

> Performance Tuning Gliders
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=227

TUNING THE ELEVATOR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0SqTPv3PQ

> Using Ballast
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=232

> Test Flight Procedures
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226

> Choosing a Sailplane
Radio - What to Consider

http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

Using the Rudder in Thermal Flying –
By Dr. Mark Drela

http://www.polecataero.com/handlaunc...thermal-flying

> How Slope Soaring Works
> http://users.iafrica.com/s/st/stevemac/afc/ssoar.html

Slope Soaring - over the rainbow - my favorite slope
video ever - And yes, you can do this with a Radian or a Pro
http://www.dwhs.tnc.edu.tw/~andycheng/wmv/200502.wmv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.