Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Transmitter range

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM
GlenIronPa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter range

I've done a search and can't find the range of the Spektrum dx5e transmitter. The one that comes with the Radian. Anyone know the range? My plane caught a thermal, my first, and was a speck before I realized......uh ohhh this thing is very high then I lost control and it keeled over and fell a bit before I regained control.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think you had a radio range problem. Just hard to see what you might be doing.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the receiver antennas well placed it should go 3,000m. I have a DX6i in my Radian Pro with an AR610 receiver (one antenna wire lead ontside on the fuselage belly) and I have had it so high I chickened out and brought her down. That was maybe 900m or 1,000m. My eyes aren't what they once were.

You're getting up where the winds live and updrafts, downdrafts, etc. will bounce a little foam glider around.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 AM
FSki

I have telemetry on my Easy Glider Pro (about the same size as a Radian) and in the UK (lower 2.4 power allowed) I got to 317m height and the telemetry was telling me I still had 100% signal quality, but i chickened out from going higher as I was afraid of losing visual contact. For a greater range I need a larger wingspan not more radio range
Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 AM
GlenIronPa

Okay, Thx guys. I got a bit nervous off the potential loss of my plane, it was so high. I know it was higher than what the local buzzards normally fly. I did see one buzzard go as high, probably higher, as it thermalled up then soared over the mountain near the house. I painted the underside of the wings black couple of years ago, it was just a speck.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One tactic a lot of experienced flyers use is the "speck" rule. When you can on longer see two specks, a larger one (the wing) and a smaller one (the tail), it's time to lose some altitude.

It's a clever plan, as it makes allowance for a number of things all at once: visibility conditions, the size glider you're flying, your eyesight that day, and such.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you find yourself , flying on 2.4 and it starts to rain , get down quickly . If your still on 72 , continue having fun ,albeit wet.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by da Rock
One tactic a lot of experienced flyers use is the "speck" rule. When you can on longer see two specks, a larger one (the wing) and a smaller one (the tail), it's time to lose some altitude.

It's a clever plan, as it makes allowance for a number of things all at once: visibility conditions, the size glider you're flying, your eyesight that day, and such.
This same answer was going through my mind when I came across daRock's post. It's what I use as well.

Once the model goes from two to one speck it's a very short gain more before it goes to NO speck. And even the two speck situation is for folks that are frequent fliers and on top of their game. It's been quite a while since I last did any thermal soaring and I sure as blazes would not even try to get to two speck territory without a few dozen flights to sneak back up on it. You gotta have a lot of faith in your model and know what it's doing to even get to two speck territory.