Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Diamond 2500 spar

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diamond 2500 spar

My ART-TECH DIAMOND 2500 sailplane has been sitting around for a couple of years now, decided to get her ready for flight.....can't find the darn wing joiner tube and couldn't find the appropriate size replacement at my local hardware stores, ANY HELP?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

From what you are saying it sounds like it used an aluminium tube joiner. Is that right? If so I strongly suggest you find the original or use a proper aircraft aluminium tube. The stuff sold at the hardware stores looks nice but it's about as strong and springy as over cooked pasta. Real aircraft tubing of the proper sort and proper heat treatment spec is night and day different.

It is odd for a model glider to use larger diameter aluminium tubing as the joiner. What is the inside diameter of the receiver tubes in the wings? Perhaps there's something else you could use?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Carlos Murphy

The receiver tubes in the wings are square measuring 1/2"X1/2", I checked another store earlier and found nothing compatible.
Bananahobbies (I don't like) had a wing set on sale with wing tube but their out of stock.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:45 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So that means you likely need 1/2" square solid aluminium rod rather than tubing. Either way I would strongly suggest that you need to find some proper aircraft rod or thicker walled tubing.

Aircraft spruce and specialty has .058" wall 1/2x1/2 in 6061 T6 that given it is fairly thick walled should do the job.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...mtubing-sq.php

Or you could get some 2024T3 which has comparable maximum and yield strengths to the 6061T6. Here's a link to the page that lists 1/2" square bar stock.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...es/alumbar.php

Both options here make the lumber yard aluminium look like junk. I cannot stress enough how poor a choice it would be to use the dress up metals from the lumber yards. I know of two people that went that route and both times it cost them their planes.

The 6061 tubing option only weighs about 1.5 oz. The 2024 solid bar option is more like 4 oz for a foot which is likely what you would need for length.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Carlos Murphy

Thanx for the info BM.
Chuck