Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Elictric motor size for Airtronics Olympic sail plane

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Elictric motor size for Airtronics Olympic sail plane

Old 11-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Calmo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elictric motor size for Airtronics Olympic sail plane

Hello; A friend of mine gave me an old Airtronics Olympic650 sailplane kit. I have been looking on the internet for some information about this sailplane and I have seen where a few people have used 400 size motors in theirs. I have a Rimefire 400 motor and was wondering if this would be a big enough motor for this sailplane. To me it looks rather small for this size sailplane. Any help or recommendation for a motor for this sailplane would be appreciated. PS. I have never built or flown a sailplane!!!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:24 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

That motor will have plenty of power. Expect to move things around s bit. I'm thinking the servos will have to go under the wing and maybe the RX. Under the canopy will be the battery and ESC. Select a 3 cell battery that is the smallest that will give you a CG of 40% behind the LE at the root. Not having had a sailplane before, that will seem a bit far back. Mount the motor with no thrust offsets but you will need to mix in some down elevator with throttle. Trim the airplane to fly hands off with the power off. Best of luck.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:10 PM
Calmo2

Thanks Speedracerntrixie; That helps out a lot. Thanks for all the setup advice. The CG does seem a little far back alright but you have a lot more experience with sailplanes then I do for sure. All I have ever built and flown were planes!!! Thanks again for you advice. I looks like it is going to be a fun build.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:46 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

You're welcome. Best of luck, you will hopefully find that using the motor to get some height an then finding that first bubble of lift that takes you up beyond your comfort level is quite addicting.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Calmo you can get pretty decent casual climbing performance by setting up your model with around 60 to 70 watts per lb of model. This will give it around a 45 to 50 climb at a decent but not racy speed. A model the size of the Oly650 should also be at or under around 32'ish ounces. And ideally end up in the mid to high 20's. The Rimfire 400, after looking around for information, handles up to 160 watts maximum in steady running. So your motor will EASILY fly your 650. At 60 to 70 watts/lb you will only need to run it at a lazy 120 watts. On a 3S pack that's only about 10.5 amps. Watts being amps x volts after all. Or you can push it to closer to the 160 watts max and have your model climb at more like 70

You can check for the CG as it's shown on the PLAN AT OUTERZONE. It shows as being on the spar. Start there but as you get comfy with flying the model play with moving it back a touch at a time until you find that the model is becoming sketchy for pitch stability. The closer you get to neutral stability the better the model will signal lift to you by kicking the nose up or down. But when it's too close to neutral most find that they don't like the constant balancing act on the elevator stick. Find your own happy place and you'll really like the model. And best of luck on your first few thermals and that ever so happy first half hour flight from only 20 seconds of climbing power.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:52 PM
Calmo2

Thanks BMatthews: The info you found on the Rimfire 400 sure put my worries to bed. I live in Fernie BC right in the middle of the Rocky mountains so I should be able to find some thermals. I have a couple of fiends and they have the E-Flite Radian glider and the have gone for 20 to 25 minutes without ever using the throttle!! Thanks again.
PS. I notice your picture of a motorcycle. Do you ride? I have 2 bikes. A Harley Nighttrain and a Honda CRF 250 L dual sport. Just another vice.LOL