Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need to land softly hand thrown glider

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need to land softly hand thrown glider

Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Xeroml

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to land softly hand thrown glider

I have scratch built glider of foam board in lock down just to test the gliding capacity. it flies well but when it comes to landing, it nose dive.
wing span is 60 cm, chord 12cm, body length 45 cm. I have watched the dude perfect plane tricks, their plane lands softly. I want to make my glider land exactly as dude perfect foam plane. I have balanced the CG at 40% of MAC... i.e 4.8 cm though the recommended CG is at 3 cm at 30% of MAC. It is somehow flying. But if I put CG at 3 cm it won't fly, just nose dive.
Please, help me where I missed.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Xeroml welcome to RC Universe!

You might have forgotten to add a little angle between the wing and tail. The tail needs to be at a slight negative angle compared to the wing so that it will trim out in flight when you combine the angles with the right balance point . For the best glide the angle should be small. Like -1 to -1.5. If you want the model to do loops off the launch then go for more like 2 to 4.

The basic glide will require that you add or remove nose weight to shift the balance to the right spot needed to get the proper gliding flight path.

What you are looking for is a slight climb up to a slight stall when you push the model out a little faster than needed. And when it recovers from the stall it swoops down and either misses the ground or it shows that it is trying to miss the ground but doesn't quite make it. A better and longer distance glide will come from a lower value angle. And more "fun" with loops and such from more angle.