Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

G P Spectra

Old 10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
edsland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G P Spectra

Anyone build it with bolt on wings instead of rubber bands not to that point yet but am wondering if there is a reason why I can't.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:27 PM
evlwevl-RCU

Default RE: G P Spectra

I cant imagine any reason why you couldnt convert to a bolt on wing. Send me your email address and I'll send you pics of the mods I made to my Gentle Lady which should give you ideas of how to do it.

[email protected]
Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM
dhable
My Feedback: (3)

Be careful to determine whether your battery pack access is via the wing or the canopy. I had the Spectra RTF, and had to remove the wing each time to change battery packs. It was quick and easy with rubber bands, but I myself wouldn't want to do that with a bolt-on wing. If you can gain access via the canopy (notoriously delicate) that's different.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:28 PM
edsland

According to booklet batteries are through the canopy.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:31 PM
dhable
My Feedback: (3)

Default Not My Book

I got the Spectra ARF/RTF, i.e. the full packaged ARF, together with TX, installed RX and ESC. My book simply says to put the batteries in, it doesn't specify through the wing saddle or through the canopy. My spectra's canopy component was very delicate, and involved a rubbber band hold down. It wasn't meant to be removed often, or at least it was weaker and more difficult to manipulate often, than the rubber bands which held the wing. The compartment below the canopy housed the RX and the ESC (all pre-installed there), no room to plunge a battery through. Hence the need to remove the wing to replace the battery. I could replace a battery in 2 minutes through the wing.

Another club member bought the exact setup I had, and has the exact same configuration (and problem). He finally removed the motor arming switch and re-wired to bypass his too.

If you have the kit (not the ARF) your instructions for battery replacement might be different than mine were, and if it comes with a motor arming switch, you could probably place it out of harm's way anyway.

Sorry for any confusion if you don't have the ARF/RTF.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 PM
lownslo

Default RE: Not My Book

I have the Spectra ARF and it also was not easy to remove the battery through the canopy access.
I didn't even try. I built a bottom access hatch that is held on by 2 screws. What a difference!!!
It is worth the effort.......... lownslo.....
Old 11-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Ed Buell

I built myspectra from a Kit

I found the plans for the Spirit on line and installed the spoilers with two tiny servos.

This thing can be a bear to land in wind ....without the spoilers I wouldn't get it down

I run a AXI 2820-12 motor with an 11/7 folding prop and 10 4/5 FAUP 1950 cells.

I hade to make some changes to make this work. My battery pack is 6cells in two sticks
with 2 sticks of four on top. The short end of my pack goes under the servo tray which i moved back.. entir battery is aft of the leading edge. Can't be removed
without taking the wing off so rubber bands are OK for me

With this setup this boat will go straight up as far as I dare in about 25 seconds
and will do that for 8 runs per charge so even without lift it will stay up about
25 minutes. If you're interested, I'll send you a couple pictures

good luck.

Ed Buell
Old 11-10-2003, 09:43 PM
edsland

sounds pretty nice still working on fuselage so I'm sure I could do what you said about the batteries. Thanks for a reply
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Reachforthesky

On a semi-nose dive landing with my spectra, ive seen the battery come flying out of my canopy somehow so im sure its possible