Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Power Pod Plans

Old 11-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Pod Plans

Help... There was a plan for a 1/2A power pod in the mags some years ago... in RCM, I think. I need a copy quick, so can anyone tell me what issue it was in or point me to a scan of the plan?

As they say out here in the sticks, Thanks muchly! I know I own the right issue, but a page-by-page search through decades of magazines just isn't getting me there and I need to get a pod or the plan to a buddy before he heads out on a trip that's coming right up.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Big_3Dan

Default RE: Power Pod Plans

I really can't help in the matter of the plan you're looking for but if you only need a powerpod not the one in the magazine specificaly you could build you own from some plywood. I used the one in the manual for my Gentle lady but i made it a bit diferent than it was on the plan. If you need a picture i'll try to look up my GL manual and scan a pic and instructions for you so you gt an idea on what to do.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Al Stein

Thanks!! I have a spare GL kit, so unless it's a recent addition, mine must have it. I'll take a look there.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Al Stein

Well, I checked my plans and manual and it does show a power pod (by D & R maybe?), but we were hoping for a built-up do-it-yourself one that we could just turn out another anytime we want or maybe leave a couple of engines mounted and just grab the one that's best for today's conditions. (My pal is an engine fanatic.)

The kicker is that I've even seen those plans recently, but can I put my fingers on them now? Of course not... gotta be somebody who remembers them or has a copy handy... whatd'ya say guys?
Old 11-27-2003, 03:21 AM
Big_3Dan

Al stein,

what i did with the pod in the manual was to use it as an idea degrees of thrust and stuff. I made mine with 1/8 plywood to make a raise for the engine and glued a small firewall about the size of the back of a .049. Then glued some solid wood to the back of the firewall and the raise to get something to grab hold of the firewall. I used the dimensions of the bottom of the pod shown in the gentle lady plans and that was it. To glue the post to the bottom part what i did was cut a line on the bottom part with a dremel, inserted the raise trought that hole and glued some solid wood to the sides of the raise for something to hold it in place. I used epoxy for all joints. But any how if you find the plans for that power pod post them here it would be nice to see them.

Dan
Old 11-30-2003, 10:23 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a thread on this forum or RCGroups by a guy who built one out of foam. Try searching on power pod or power pylon.

I purchased this electric kit. Have not flown it yet, but it was pretty easy to build.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ769&P=7

There is also an unpowered one for about $12 that might serve as a good template if you want to build a bunch of them. The site has a good photo of it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ770&P=7
Old 06-06-2004, 05:19 AM
brianthomas

I found an australian shop site which sells a pod in four variants at www.hobbycentre.com.au. they do ship international and the price seems reasonable.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Oddly enough, I was reciently going through some stuff and came across some old RCMs, guess what? One of them has the article you speak of, it's the oldest copy I still have. If you still need it I can scan it and send it to you. It won't be that good of a copy though, my scanner is messed up and puts a 'band' through the print-out, still useable tho. My other thought is I can give you the issue info and (if you subscribe to RCM) you can request them to put the article up on their archive site for you to print out. I'll go out in the workshop (garage) and dig it out again and get back to you later today (Sunday) . . .if I can remember where I put it now!
Rick
Old 06-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Rick K

Al, It's your lucky day, I went out in the shop and much to my dismay I couldn't find the mag. when I saw it a month or so ago I was in the process of doing a 'spring clean up', ended up with around fifteen trash bags of stuff and have been putting a few out a week (we are provided with only one trash garbage can and they don't take anything thats not in the can) I still have six bags to put out, the mag. was in number four. I can only tell you that in was in a 83' issue, the first four pages of the mag. are gone. If you send me your address I'll cut out what you need and send it to you. It has full scale templates, I really don't feel like fooling around with the scanner to get it to make the copy with exactly the same measurements. Let me know.
Rick
Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Rick K

Al, What the heck happened to you? After having to fish around in several trash bags whose contents included some 'aged' diapers to rescue that old mag. for you . . . you disappear. Geez, noooooo respect! You could have at least said thanks but that you had come up with something else.
Rick K
Old 06-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Al Stein

So Sorry -- Deepest appologies Rick! (Work has been a little demanding lately and a lot of modeling things have fallen behind.)

I do indeed appreciate your effort and I'll both use and share the plans if you're able to pass them along. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-04-2019, 05:04 PM
penguinpete50

If there is still any interest in this topic/thread, R/C Modeler published full-size plans in the June 1983 issue, with wing saddle mounts for Soar Birdi, Wanderer, and Gentle Lady. It was intended for 1/2A engines, but could be modified for electric (which I plan on doing for my Sig Riser). Primarily made of 1/16" ply, with the top portion of 1/8" balsa. It attaches with the same rubber bands used to attach the wing to the fuselage. You can download a .pdf from RCLibrary, a UK website. Their archive is complete through the end of 1979. They are missing ALL of 1980, and also missing all from September of 1984 through the end of publication.

Last edited by penguinpete50; 12-05-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Omitted download info