Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

sky bench viking kit

Old 02-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sky bench viking kit

Am thinking of making the Skybench viking as my next project, any input? Do not have funds to waste, this would be my 'plane of the year"

Thanks Rick.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
rudynix

Default RE: sky bench viking kit

I started building a Viking from SkyBench December of 2003. Did a little work on the fuse before the wife got on me about the more important projects that needed to be done. It stayed stored for about a year before I started back on the project this past Christmas. I did quite a bit of modifying to the kit, primarily because I am electrifying it. The quality of the parts in the kit are excellent, but the instructions are not very clear, especially for someone who does not have a lot of building experience. The plans are made for the original kit, but a supplement pamphlet is included for the mods for structural improvements. I slightly modified the tail, increased the width of the fuselage, and increased the wingspan to 130". This was the last pic I had made of it. I have painted the fuselage and covered the tail, but still have to install the servos for the spoilers and shape the wingtips.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49256.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	215122  
Old 01-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Culver10

A freind just built a Viking from Skybench. He found the lazar cutting wonderful and way Ray slotted the bulkheads and the fuselage sides made building it idiot-proof. He did not even read the instructions, just studied the plans and built it. The Viking is a very light design and it requires the strength of the film coating to stiffen the wings and tail from twisting.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:46 PM
rudynix

I agree with you on that. Since I am electrifying it, I beefed up the tail somwhat. I used solid balsa TE material on the rudder, and partially sheeted the elevators. On the wing panels I added diagonals between the wing ribs.

Name:	Ax72777.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	215168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28119.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	215169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38899.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	215170  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Culver10

With the prop wash and extra weight from the electrics, the tail additions make good sense. For an ultra light weight floater, build it like it was designed and it work great! We will be flying his Viking and my Skybench Cloud Bound 4 this spring, we will let you know which performs better!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:06 PM
forrest adams

the section modulus just under the le of the vertical fin looks dangerously small - there's quite a large moment with all that tail - i hope there's not a stress problem there.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:26 PM
rudynix

mod·u·lus
Abbr. m or M Physics. A quantity that expresses the degree to which a substance possesses a property, such as elasticity

That area is actually been beefed up with carbon fiber and fiberglass. It is quite strong.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:02 PM
rudynix

I feel that the anti vortex tips for the wing panels are quite fragile and difficult to sand as shown on the plans. I took my wing to the table saw and cut a 45 degree angle on the end and glued a piece of 1/8" plywood on the end. Much easier and less change of the tip breaking when bumped

Name:	Sq45809.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	216107  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:52 PM
forrest adams

i mean s=i/c where i is the moment of inertia of the section.
the carbon fiber and glass will help.
if the value for i was bigger, it would help.
sorry i did not explain.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 PM
forrest adams

nice tips!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:12 PM
rudynix

No need to apologize. I felt it was quite thin when looking at the plans myself. Even Ray at SkyBench commented that about that area and suggested ways to strengthen that area in his mods. I've actually lifted the plane by the tail and straining, was able to lift it to a horizontal position without any flex. All electrics were installed except batteries. I believe that I will have no worries there. Actually, my only worries right now are crashing it on it's maiden flight (lol).
Old 01-06-2021, 07:04 AM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an older thread. Any photos of the finished Viking? Would love to see them.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:13 AM
JoshuaSkype

Default -

DS got it through agent cant give details out its not even on IMBd or any where when you google it. Was just asking if any one else had been