Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with spoilers

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Has anyone built a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with spoilers

Old 02-15-2004, 03:41 AM
flybaby101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone built a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with spoilers

Hi guys at the moment i am building a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with balsa fuselage and spoilers and i was wondering if anyone else has put spoilerts into one and what is better for this model , v-tail or conventionial...

regards

flybaby101

heres a pic of the fuse i built before top sheeting , i built in balsa to cut weight because of the servos in the wing

ive never built a res glider before but i thought id give it a go with my favorite plane....
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has anyone built a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with spoilers

This isn't the 2x6, it's a HOB 2Tee, with spoilers and a v-tail.
And electric powered..
13x10 APC folder
Master Gearbox 3.5:1
Speed 600
Jeit 250 ESC
8x1400 Panasonic
Flying weight 46 oz
Loading 10 oz/ft^2
Good airplane, I use it to carry a camera.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16490.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	101184  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:09 AM
flybaby101

whats the difference between the 2 tee and the 2x6 i heard the wing is the same and how did you put the spolers into the wing im using some servos in the wing could i get photos of your system , and i have built a conventionial tail should i go onto a v-tail to improve performance or should i try the other one first...

i also git some covering this week and almost ruined my wing dont buy tuff-cover it doesnt stretch

www.angelwingsrc.tk

that is my buisness
Old 02-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Tall Paul

I think the only difference between the 2x6 and the 2Tee is the position of the horizontal.
The spolers are pulled open by a single servo in the center, using a 3-position switch on the Hitec Eclipse transmitter..
Closed, 1/2 open and full.
1/2 open is more than adequate.
I bent the Sullivan tubing around a tin can and heated it to get the bent shape, so it fits the area.

Name:	Ki18563.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	103771  
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 PM
paulcarnes

ORIGINAL: flybaby101

Hi guys at the moment i am building a house of balsa 2x6 from scratch with balsa fuselage and spoilers and i was wondering if anyone else has put spoilerts into one and what is better for this model , v-tail or conventionial...
Mine doesn't have spoilers but I was surprised at how well it thermals. The stock elevator is much larger than it needs to be. I plan to make a balsa fuse for mine too.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
flybaby101

as i do remember the originial tail was good for eleveator but the rudder was very sluggish , when i changed the originial to a v it improved the speed and i had less chance of it falling off turns , i was just wondering if first i should start with the conventionial tail and see how it goes with different rate settings , also would it be a good idea to sheet the entire top surface of the wing to reduce drag after installing the turbulators , as i had snapped these when i picked up the originial wing , also im thinking of using tiplets because of the flat centre section to increase turn response , all good ideas? are they ,will post photos soon.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Tall Paul

The airfoil is so fat it would difficult to make much of an improvement in just sheeting the leading edge back to the spar.
A whole new airfoil of the S3021-S7037 type would make a different plane of either the 2x6 or 2Tee.
But as long as the wing is being improved, there's other things, such as the size of the tail surfaces, the fuselage...
The result would be a completely new airplane, which might already exist anyway as the GP Spirit and Spirit Elite.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:00 PM
flybaby101

would it be better , as i have already built a wing to shave 1/16 off the surfaces and install the sheeting at the tips only , also i was wondering if somebody could see about getting me a wing kit for the 2x6 from americia and i ill pay them via money order when i have the funds as ive been trying to get a 2x6 kit in aus and its like getting blood out of a stone , as id like a kit to make things go together faster , ii have the wing and body almost done but still i reckon that the kit would be an easy build , beacause the wing is alot of work from scratch... especially the dowel in the le
Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Tall Paul

If you really want to sheet the upper surface, 1/32" balsa will do it. No need to cut anything down, just sand the front edge of the sheet to a smooth fit with the leading edge, and a taper at the spar going aft.
I wouldn't be surprised to find the ribs in the tapered part of the wing were the same upper surface shape as those in the flat panel...
Here's a method of doing that I learned 50 years ago from Frank Ehling... for each rib in a tapered section, detemine its chord, then copy the upper curve from the root rib, and draw a straight line from the bottom of the leading edge to that point on the upper curve. Cut to suit the trailing edge.
Put the spar where you want them.
For this kind of wing, it's more than good enough.

Name:	Db85187.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	103930  
Old 02-23-2004, 06:33 AM
flybaby101

thanks for that info . thats the same system that i used on my gliders , its a reliable method of making the ribs , also i went to my local supplier and brought some spruce and put turbulators and spars made of spruce into the wing tips , its lighter than sheeting also , i have made it two peice wing with a wing bolt to hold it together , which is a copper tube at the leading and trailing edge to align , with two ply tounges that lock together with a wing bolt, this works well as my brother only has a small car and carrying the wing can be a problem , also i was wondering about getting an originial kit from americia as i have had trouble getting one in aus you can send your details to me through my e-mail , which is [email protected] and how much it will cost plus postage and i will send a money order.. that is if you can find one...... it would be nice to get an originial
Old 02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Tall Paul

Searching for House of Balsa, I see the 2x6 lists for $26.95. Almost cheaper to build from plans.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
flybaby101

yes i think that is agree , I,m going to continue with my project , im almost finished and ill post a photo once done , what i like about gliders is that they are clean , dont cost on expensive batterys, and with the right weather you can fly all day , alot of beginners come to me now and want to get a nitro 40 powered beast then when i take them out to the slope here , it a whole different story when they see a glider floating endlessly for three hours without need for re-fueling , one day i flew for over 8 hours to get my lsf liscence that was a challenge with some 2000mah batterys, that was when i had a job and could afford the big girls like the pike and challenger {both deceased dur to rf}, then i moved sold my planes and went out of the hobby for a few years and come back into it with about ten powered planes , didnt like them i sold them and now im solely a glider person , the reason im building a 2x6 from scratch is to get my wings back without the costs as i have a good slope here and my flying feild is a five minute walk away , not bad when you have a smaller bird , any way yes its only cost me a bout 20 aus plus covering , and i have plent more balsa left im thinking of building a spirit , essence and gentle lady , or a sig riser as a second newbie as i have brought all these plans and intend to put them through thier paces , what would you suggest for my next 2metre bird , also do you know anyone with a 2m lil bird as i am looking for this plan as i love scratch building and this design is really nice , regards

dug[&:]
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Tall Paul

You can't beat sloping for learning how to fly!
And repair!
I converted all my 2M gliders to electric (and one to gas) since I fly at the slope and on the flats also.
The heavier e-powered things work well as slopers, beginning able to fly in higher winds than a 2M floater.
Planes like the 2x6 and Gentle Lady are nice floaters.
For windier days a Spirit or Spirit Elite is a better choice. Not as much work to keep it upwind.
I have a GP Skeeter, a small HLG that does well as a sloper when the wind is light.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
flybaby101

yes i agree the slope is the best way to learn , i got some covring today and my glider is almost complete , i have the servos on rails as i dont trust double sided tape and ill post a photo of it once complete , i went to the printing place today and picked up 120metres of 80micron laminating film and i have tried it on the wing and tail , perfect , just like clear monokote , but make sure you get the right microns , i tried some 120 too thick and warps , 70-80 microns is about the same as clear monokote and it cost me 50 bucks , ill be covering planes until im a great gran dad , the only quirk is there is no colour but testors polycarbonate paint works great or monokote paint , but ive decided to keep the wing and tail clear with a bit of yellow dye on the fuselage with , so its silent and ghostly , which is a cool "look ma no covering thing" but to give you a better idea i will get a few photos when complete..

cheers

Old 02-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Tall Paul

Transparent finish on a glider..
You WiLL have an anxious moment or hour or two!
If you get it back, use the can of color spray you will have with you!
2nd worse covering is Chrome.
It takes on the color of the sky very well!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
flybaby101

yes , im not keeping it completely transparent , im going to paint some bright colours onto it for orientation , i went to the hobby shop yesterday and picked up some monokote paint and i am going to paint it so its not just clear , you will see what i mean when i post a photo

Old 02-28-2004, 07:01 PM
flybaby101

hyi paul , its almost done so all i have to do is make a new canopy to suit the new wing hold down system and connect the control rods and setup the spoilers , i did a balance check today and with the extra servos in the wing it seems in good order i have also added a ballast box behind former 3 , for winder conditions as the receiver i am using is a small jr 4ch unit on my hitec laser 4 ive had no probs with this setup so far , also i chose metal gear servos for the spoilers , ive posted a photo to give you an idea , please note i have to paint it for orientation........

covered with 80 micron laminating film , at 50 bucks for 120 metres im gonna be covering planes for my grankids

dug

Name:	Ax72921.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	106018  
Old 03-14-2004, 09:20 AM
flybaby747

herse the pics of the glider painted , i wont lose it now he he