Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

bird of time spoilers

Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
max cook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bird of time spoilers

i have a bird of time kit that i have put off building because i wanted to put spoilers on it but i don't know how. i also want to make it a 3 piece wing because that center joint looks a little on the fragile side. my uncle also gave me some 25 year old Futaba FP-S20 servos, are those enough tork (1.6Kg/cm) to move the rudder and elevator? your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-10-2004, 02:41 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: bird of time spoilers

Here is a link to help with the spoiler install. Also check out a current tread on spoilers in a gentle lady.
[link]http://www.skybench.com/report/spoilers.html[/link]
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Max, those S-20 servo's are going to be a bit short on torque. You would be better off with a more up to date servo's.

TME
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
max cook

thanks for the info, would those servos be stonge enough to take on spoilers? would it be posible to make the wing tips come off like the center does now useing something like 1/8 inch brass tubes?thanks again, max
Old 03-13-2004, 12:18 AM
max cook

does any one have a suggestion for servos and RX for a bird of time and how to do my above message? thanks, Max
Old 03-13-2004, 08:12 AM
AcintSpec

Max:

I use Hitech RX and Servos with my Futaba's and they work well together. For RES, a 555 Rx and standard servos would probably do fine for rudder and elevator. They weigh more but you can use them for some of the CG balance too. If doing spoilers, you can use the 55's in each wing to actuate each spoiler. You could also use an 81 and actuate both from the same source with a 3 piece wing, servo in the middle, much like the old style aileron actuation back in the 60's and 70's.

Three piece wing may be a little more work. Basically, a plywood diehedral brace such as the Gemini used would work good too. It is 2 pieces that are about 2 bays into the wing one side and 5 or so bays on the other side and of 1/8th thickness. Glued together with titebond and clamped well, they will be very strong. After they are in place and wing is together, can add balsa to make a solid shear web there. Vertical grain, full width and depth webs out the wing to your joiner. I would use a joiner box at this point, wrapped in kevlar thread for your wing tips. A blade type plywood joiner would do here to connect your wingtips. Are you using rubber bands and dowels to hold the wing on or planning on a bolt on wing?

R/Gene
Old 03-13-2004, 03:08 PM
max cook

thanks for the help. right now i will probably use rubberbands but may bolt it. i have heard of a joiner box but i dont know what it is. thanks, max
Old 03-13-2004, 07:17 PM
AcintSpec

Max:

Joiner box can be plywood on outer edges between spars, making a box. About the last 3 inches of center section and an equal amount on the tip sections. Joiner itself made to fit very snugly in the box. Can be of 1 solid piece of stronger wood or laminated plywood or 1 piece of the appropriate thickness of ply. Usually recommend the box be wrapped with Kevlar thread or tow as the joiner can exert some pretty good forces from the inside of the box when snagging a wing on landing etc....

R/Gene