Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hangar Nine Aspire

Old 03-14-2004, 04:50 AM
smoking joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar Nine Aspire

The wing appears from the kit to be one piece, has anyone modified this wing to a two piece. Local hobby shop has one seems to be quick way to get in air. SJ
Old 03-14-2004, 10:35 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hangar Nine Aspire

Glued my two piece together. Epoxied the joiner in, Used 2" glass tape to reinforce the joint. It works great. Or you could just tape them together at the field to keep them from separating in flight. Mine always opened up about an 1/8".
Old 03-14-2004, 11:53 AM
smoking joe

Had thought about just sliding the joint and wings together taping and flying. Does it seem to be a decent flyer? SJ
Old 03-14-2004, 05:01 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

It's a good flyer. 4 minute + flights in evening air off of a 500' launch.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:12 PM
AcintSpec

Joe:

I have seen only 1 Aspire with a 2 piece wing. He filled the box with wood (made a duplicate of the joiner) and then drilled a hole in each wing for a joiner rod. Had to make sure the angle was correct when drilled etc.

Aspire itself is a great little plane. It has a large tail moment which helps on the oscillations from over controlling. It will signal lift very well and is a good 2 meter plane. If you do get one, check to make sure the elevator linkage doesn't bend when inputing 'up' elevator. I replaced mine with a dowel as the supplied material would 'slap' the fuselage bottom when pushing the elevator up. Took quite a beating and is ready for more. Take it easy on the winch as it does not like over agressive launches.

Regards,

Gene
Old 03-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Dirtbag

I assembled my Aspire with a two piece wing and just built a simple reinforcing saddle. It flew just fine the first (and only) time I have had it out. I bought it one day on an 'impulse' trip into a LHS and now it is just taking up space in a box where it has been for over 3 years (along with over a hundred dollars worth of accesories in it.) Point is, it flew just fine with a two piece wing configuration.

I've got 4 other gliders in there too I'm most likely going to put the Aspire and one other (e-flite Ascent - never flown) up for sale.