Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Rocket launched glider

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:25 AM
flydrive rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket launched glider

Has anyone seen or know of a kit for a rocket launched glider?

if its not broken you havenot been using it!!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Rocket launched glider

Estes was advertising a rocket motor launched RC glider a few years back. They may still have it available.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:29 AM
MerlinL14

I was reading in the Liverpool Echo last night about a local man who is off to Poland for some World championships. It did not say which, but the compitition entals using a rocket to get the glider to 1000', they then have to fly for exactly 6mins and land on a pre designated spot. So there must be some sort of system out there.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Hi, I don't know what the fire marshall may think in VA, but here in So. CA I'd just bet they'd consider a 'rocket' powered plane a fire hazard flown with careless disregard for public safety or worse yet an illegal firework (and just try to convince the cops and DA it's not a illegal 'skyrocket' by the legal definition) . . . especialy so if you set something afire. Bad, bad news for the pillot around here, could cost everything you have in just legal fees to prove it otherwise. Better check out the laws in your area before you fly one of them these days.
Rick K.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
vicjperry
Banned

Yup, NASA called it the Space Shuttle!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There have been a number of them produced over the years and the most recent I know of was produced in Las Vegas Nev. As recently as about six years ago The "Pheonix" was advertized in full page adds for a short period in a number of model magazines. It was a two channel (ailerons/elevator) boost glider that used standard Estes model rocket motors of which, I don,t know.

As far as legalities are concerned they are legal anywhere small model rocketry is permitted and they Are permisable in the AMA safety code with a weight limit which I think is around three pounds.

They are launched near vertically and the one flight I witnessed by a Pheonix was awesome.

John
Old 07-17-2004, 12:22 PM
kamikaze89

Estes makes an ARF called the t25 centurian. It uses an "E" size motor which puts the glider up about 350'. Hobby People sells it for $95. It is aileron elevator model.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Rick K

The trouble is even if what you're doing is legal, if you start a fire around here (So. Cal) you can be held Criminaly/Civilly lible. If you've been watching the news about the latest fires burning here this past week, one was started by a guy shooting his semi-auto 22 rifle (ejected shell set the brush afire). The authorities are talking about charging him with criminal negligence or holding him civilly lible for the costs of putting out the fire (wonder how much it costs to put out a 50K acre fire) even though he was not breaking any laws. The guy's in shock, "it was an accident!"
The standard being a 'resonable, prudent person' would have known that the fire danger was very high where he was shooting and that he knew or should have known that a spent shell casing could ignite the brush so a 'reasonable, prudent' person wouldn't do it. But our guy chose to shoot anyway. (that's the 'criminal' part, he knew there was a hazzard but 'recklessly, carelesslyand without regard to the danger' ignored it) In college a few years ago I was both a 'teaching Asst.' and a school pd. tutor of business law. . . it's a crazy business, civil law and it's often not fair and any lawyer or law Professor will tell you exactly that. It's just an sometimes not so equitable way of handling disputes in an organized manner which often results in some completely unbelivable, unreal outcomes that defy logic.
Rick K
Old 07-20-2004, 06:20 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flydrive is in Va. Being across the border I know we are not at high risk of brush fires over here. However safety is a major concern, take a look at your new AMA rules regarding model rocketry and follow those guide lines. It looks like they changed a little since I read them last, regarding flying rockets at the club field. If I read it correctly we are advised to get confirmation from the local fire officials.
I too like the boost gliders, the Centurion is a pretty cool although expensive model, there is also a plan called the Lady Hawk, I am working on an old Cox plan Called the Astro Blaster. Send me a pm.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:22 AM
vicman

Also look up Mr. Clean here on RCU, he was working on a rocket powered Zagi[X(] some time back.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Shahid

I heard of rocket pwoered Zagi, rocket powered aint too hard, best way to mount it I find is externally that way the exhaust gases can just pop away...

now an internally mounted X-1 THATS a challenge!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, an Estes Astro Blaster. Looks similar to a Long-EZ with a canard and wing-mounted vertical fins (no rudders). I have flown it unpowered in my back yard, and even bought an adapter to allow power with a Cox .049, but I have not yet flown it with a rocket motor. Runs on D or E size engines with a special plug (no ejection charge). You might be able to find one of these kits around somewhere.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:18 PM
vicman

I have a set of plans to build one. Stick a d-12 in that bad boy and let me know how it goes.[sm=bananahead.gif] At least post a pic.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:50 PM
punkindrublik

Here's my Estes Stratoblaster!

"E" motors will only get it to about 150-200', but this baby will fly forever after the burn. This thing is an awesome slope glider! With the Norvel .061 on it, it flies like a little yellow batouttahell! [X(]

Hey Flyfalcons, how bout that pic?? I've had an "Astro Blaster" kit, but I decided to build the Stratoblaster instead. I'd love to see it.

As for safety, as long as you contact the local Fire Dept and get an OK, AMA covers model rocketry!

Oh yeah, working on a parasite launch from my Flyin King! Could be interesting! (Don't worry, I'm getting approval!)

Brian
Old 09-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Rick K

The trouble of getting 'approval' is being sure you've got all of the right ones . . . There are so many overlaping juristictions around here anyway. The sherrif dept. the city poilce, city fire, county fire, the state forest service, Federal forest service, city, county and state's atty office and who knows else. Getting the ok from one doesn't mean the others are in automatic agreement. Then there's all of the private fringe organizations like the tree hugger groups whow might like to beef up their treasuries by filing a class action civil law suit on you to pay for 'their' brush, trees and animals you may destroy or inconveinence.

It reminds me of when I wanted to take my then new AR-15 up to the mountians. As it's on the state assult rifle ban now and theres all kinds of rules concerning it with the violation of any could result in its seasure. I called the city poilce, the county sherrif, the highway patrol and the forest service on the legal way to transport the wepeon in my car . . . and got four different answers and not just a little different very different: must be in plain sight, must be in the trunk. Clips may be loaded, cannot be loaded. Ammo must be seperate from gun, must be with gun but in org. mfg packages. etc. As the Highway patrol is the state law enforcement agency in CA and the law is a secondary function of the forest service I went with the patrols advice, But made sure I had the trooper's name and badge # who gave me the information . . . just in case. By the way, all of these laws would be a felonly violation meaning big bail . . . I'd get to sit in the slammer while they figured out who's law was the correct one.
Rick K.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a kit, yet, but I saw this one yesterday...
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/Redux-01.htm
Old 10-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Peroxide

All this worry about fire is so lame. I live on a 1200 acre ranch here in cali surrounded by dry hay as far as you can see. I've flown rockets there all my life. Not little wuss estes stuff either; big 1200lbf thrust experimental motors. Yeah, they've exploded, but I've never had a problem with putting out any fires i start. People are so worried about politics and regulation. Just have the balls to stand up for your mistakes. If you're not an idiot you wont have any problems. This country needs to go back to the days of shoot first, ask questions later.

I could ramble on...

Also, you may consider making a trip out to sites where there is nothing that can catch on fire. Places like El Mirage (a dry lake bed) are awesome. Theres nothing out there but hard, dry mud.

That Astroblaster looks awesome.

-IRW
Old 10-06-2004, 02:31 AM
punkindrublik

Thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 AM
nick.wright
My Feedback: (16)

What is Hobby People's link? I'd like to have one of these!!!
ORIGINAL: i3oi3jim

Estes makes an ARF called the t25 centurian. It uses an "E" size motor which puts the glider up about 350'. Hobby People sells it for $95. It is aileron elevator model.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
punkindrublik

Wow, it looks exactly like mine in red!
here ya go!
[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/310103.asp]hobbypeople.com[/link]
Old 10-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Mirek

Hi guys !!! --- I have the plans of the real rocket powered glider , yes . Only one was ever build and only once was flown , this is not a sports wersion of any model with rocket engine .

Happy flying ..................Mirek J.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:04 PM
vicman

I've been waiting for you to share those plans of the X-30. Youv'e been quiet since all that fame on the discovery channel.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Mirek

..........no ,it is not X-30

Mirek J.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Mirek

... OK. hint # 1 ..... it was desined i build by very faymus auto maker in 1920 ...............
this is good for 50 browny points .

Mirek J.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Mirek

......OK... for 25 points ,,,,,,,,,,, 1920 , OPEL ...............

Mirek J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.