Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Repowering an Electra

Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repowering an Electra

Hi all

Just returning to E-power assisted soaring after a 15 year hiatus and need some help. I have decided to update my old friend the Electra to LiPos, new motor, folding prop, etc, but my searches haven’t turned up any posts on this subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Repowering an Electra

For a typical 2M, I've found a Speed 600, 3.8:1 MPC gear box, 13x10 prop, 8 cells works just fine.
The Speed 600/Master Airscrew box at 3.0:1, 12x9 prop and 7 cells is a good combination,
and I've used a Speed 480 , 3.45:1 box, 11x9 and 8 cells works quite well in my Gentle Lady.
ESCs should be rated to at least 25 amps.
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...piritElite.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/GPeSpirit.htm
Old 08-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Tao
My Feedback: (1)

I've recently returned to R/C gliders as well and choose the Electra as my first plane.

Powered it as follows:
Jeti Phasor 30/3 brushless motor
Jeti Opti 70 ESC
7x1700 NiCd battery pack
500 mAH NiMH receiver battery

This motor arrangement is outstanding.
Gives very strong climbs to altitude.
Total run time is about 1min 46sec, so I get 3 to 4 good launchs per charge.
Only need about 15 seconds to take it way up.
Dial in about 22% of down elevator/DR with the throttle if your radio allows.
I'm using the Multiplex EVO 9 radio and very satisfied with it.

Feel that this power configuration can be taken from the Electra and put into more advanced planes as I hone my flying skills.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 AM
rahtware

Thanks for the ideas.

In it’s original configuration my Electra was, at best, marginally powered. I could get it into the air, but it took a good run culminating in a hard toss towards the horizon. I found the climb out was better done with the trims then with the sticks so I would set her into a gentle climbing spiral, only tapping the sticks to overcome any downwind tendencies. The field where I flew had a small steep hill on one side so I could search out thermals or ridge lift (or a combination of both). Once in the lift the Electra did very well, but I always wished it had more power for a steeper climb-out.

Thanks again for the help. I guess my next task is to check into the costs (in cash and weight) involved with each suggestion.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Silverhawk

Even on the stock setup I showed a club member that going to an additional cell or 2 made a world of difference. I believe he was using a 6 cell cheapie car pack and just going to a 7-1250scr pack made the climb somewhat more sporting.

Tall Paul is right though about inexpensive power options. My Sophisticated Lady V has a S400, MPJet 3.8:1, 11x8 CAM, and 8 cell pack. It climbs out better than the Electra but then it probably is lighter to start with.

Just don't get all caught up with the high tech super power stuff if you're just going to relax and putz around the sky. Remember, if it's not competition you are there to have fun and you have minutes, not seconds, to climb to thermalling height.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Old 08-05-2004, 09:15 PM
paulcarnes

I stuck a Phasor 15/4 in the nose of my 2m Riser with a 7 cell CP-1700 pack and an 8x6 folding prop. It gives me six to eight climbs to thermal altitude and a sore neck.

Paul
Old 08-07-2004, 09:40 AM
mars

I have a Electra that needs a power plant as well. Im after wieght vs power. What are the recommendations for the most powerfull motor, esc, battery, that is still going to have very low wing loadings. I want to stay away from lipoly packs. Price comes in third as motivator.
Due to altitude I need about 16 percent more thrust. Would be great if it fit the my already built orignal nose.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Tall Paul

Low wing loadings come from using only the battery pack that you really need. I get quite acceptable performance on low capacity packs, not the 3000 mah+ types, as I fly the glider as a glider, not an aerobat.
Power up to altitude, shut the motor down, and glide. Then power back up and glide.. a couple three of those is all the flying I want from that kind of plane.
I use 7x1300 and 8x1400 nicads a lot for these.
The optitional battery for the ZAGI 400 X is superb, it's 8x1700, and smaller than the two packs referenced.
For park fliers, Nimhs are the way to go.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Silverhawk

I use the 8x1700 Zagi pack in my Sophisticated Lady with great results. That big 'ole wing doesn't even know the difference.

Ray
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 PM
gmccluskey

I also have an Electra that I would like to re-power. In my case the plane is stock with the old direct drive motor, on/off switch.

To avoid butchering the nose, I was thinking of using an in-line gearbox with a conventional brushed type motor and a folding prop. Any suggestions. I already have an FMA Super 30 ESC from another project.

I'm not looking for rocketry here, just better performance.

George
Old 08-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Tall Paul

The MPC 3.8:1 gearbox from Hobby Lobby, a 13x10 APC Folder, 8 cells. and it WILL be a good performer! No need to go to high capacity cells, I'm very happy with 8x1400s on a Speed 600. 7x1300 and a 12x9 prop will also work.