Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

slope soaring transmitter ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

slope soaring transmitter ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slope soaring transmitter ideas?

i was sitting bored at work, just fettling cars when i caught myself thinking about slope soaring stuff.
OK my work mate had brought a really cool biking backpack that would suit glider pilots that have to hike to sites first.
anyways, we've got small pack away gliders, but are always stuck with a big, heavy and somewhat delicate transmitter.
i have no idea if i can make one, but I'd like to have a bash at something usable.
my ideas so far are small in size and weight ( not using li-poly for ease issues ) rugged design, waterproof, and maybe ditch normal gimbals for more of a playstation thing, 4ch if i can.

also if anyone remembers a design Ripmax showed a few years ago for a futuristic tranny let me know, if i remember right it's along the lines of what I'm thinking about.

I'd like to hear some ideas for what gilder pilots want and need.

ps, I'll find that backpack in a mo, it's something glider pilots might also like..
Old 08-09-2004, 01:34 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: slope soaring transmitter ideas?

If you took the idea of a transmitter hardcase and carried it over to a backback, I think you'd have a seller (I'd buy one anyway) I don't sew so I would have to wait for someone to design and produce it.

Thick foam beds attached to the inside so when you unzip the backback it opens up to the tranny. The sides and outer covering could be EPP for stiffness and ruggedness covered with backpack material.

I know you were looking for a tranny replacement, but why bother if you can adequately protect the stock tranny while climbing up the hill. Add a pocket to carry your transmitter hand warmer and extra TX/RX packs for winter soaring and a Camelback system for liquid replenishment and you have the ultimate carrying case for slopes.

Don
Old 08-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Cactus.

my reason for not taking a standard tranny to the slope is they are costly, not that strong ( esp Futaba switches ) and just so much more than required for a slope bash up.
yes you can use a car/boat 2ch tranny, but it's the wrong frequency and only 2ch. not waterproof or that much tougher either.

tho i like your idea...

i found the backpack btw, it also has provision for carrying things like tents or other rolled things, i was amazed as my mate opened yet more pockets and things.

http://www.planet-knox.com/Knox/aero_backpack.asp
Old 08-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Tall Paul

The Hitec Focus is small and light.. if 2 channels are enough..
Old 08-09-2004, 05:36 PM
mars

I think that rubberizing the body would be a step in the right direction. All the black plastic would be MUCH nicer if it was more G-Shock style. Something like that would make me think about a switch in MFG's. <- patent not pending....lol
Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 PM
wind junkie

I made a rubber ducky adaptor for my hitec Focus, and it fits in a backpack.

I've hiked two peaks over 4500 feet here in the Adirondacks of NY State with a Zagi and Hangar 4 Whirlwind strapped to my day pack, and the focus inside. Only wish it had expo on the ailerons. The focus has shared a day pack on over a dozen slope trips to various beaches and sites across the country. I'ts light and cheap and easily upgradable to nicads and the removeable rubber ducky.

I've been eyeing the new Multiplex radios becaus they're really light (less battery weight) and they're full featured, however, I have so many 2 Ch AM reciever, I wish someone still made a good lightweight AM computer radio. My ACE MP800 has accompanied me on MANY hiking/slope trips, but that thing is NOT lightweight and I wouldn't wish it on anyone who didn't need an AM computer TX.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Cactus.

I've got the 3ch Hi-tec tranny, nice for gliding but still not rugged.
i still don't understand why every tranny isn't tougher, we arn't all perfect owners but the results of any malfunction can be disastrous.
a nice rubber G-shock body would also be nice to hold, might even help when your under a bit of pressure on a hot day and get sweaty mittys

the rubber duck solves the other transmitter weak spot ( other than it can't fold away for transport, just unscrew ) tho when i looked around before ( for combat gliding, yes we are targets ) they were expensive.

don't look to my for miracles of new tech, I've only got a mate that might be able to help, and an weekly engineering night at a school later this year, don't think I'll have any super small fully rubber molded super tough waterproof transmitters
but it's be nice to bounce a few ideas around and see if anyone takes notice.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Tall Paul

Having knocked a transmitter out of another fliers grip with a -close- pass, don't forget to add a neck strap to the list...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Cactus.

thats the idea of no limits combat

this is the transmitter from a Firebird Outlaw, not a bad size and along the lines of a small compact shape, tho i was also looking at using a Playstation game pad right as it is, the gimbals would be great. PS gimbals in this tranny would be a good start.

seeing as i no longer need it it might becomes my base... tho i might have to mold another and add some rubbery stuff to it. tougher than my FF8 tho
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76256.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	162449